Jigs

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
woody52
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Jigs

Post by woody52 »

Forgive my ignorance, I am a newbie to MG42's. Is there someplace to obtain blueprints to make the jigs that are needed to build?

Thanks!

Woody
along
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Re: Jigs

Post by along »

Hi Woody52,

the only jigs I have seen is a front shroud to receiver shell welding jig on gunbroker for like $100. It really doesn't look that complicated to make though. Just get a long piece of all thread with some nuts and washers. Then just triple double check it with a level. Thats what I'll be doing anyways. I haven't seen any other jigs from guys like brp or anything. I plan on using bolts for the rails, so I won't need a riveting jig to get the rails in.

But if you do find any jigs, please let me know too :D.

Thanks
woody52
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by woody52 »

I will! It seems that there must be plans out there or someone must have the know how to design various jigs and make a few bucks selling the plans. Of course, I guess if they did it, some :puk: would post it and rob the inventor of the few bucks. But I really appreciate you responding. Good luck with your build!

Woody
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

pictures of jigs are in the tutorials. The middle of summer is slower here due to people playing outside. You'll get a better response once fall arrives. Most jigs are merely some channel with washers and all thread rod with a few nuts to hold things in place. That, a piece of fishing line or string, a level, and a straight edge, and you've pretty much got everything you need except a few dimensions, which are also available in the tutorial section.
Plans are dependent on the whether you build or buy a grip or bolt, or for that matter, whether you buy receiver halves or torch cut pieces. There is no single set of directions that work for all cases.

http://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/MG42- ... iewAll=yes

RTG (link above) has some pieces for building, including rivet jigs, bolts, receiver parts, and grips, as do other places online.

A lot depends on what you want to do, and what you have.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

There are plenty of photos on the Site showing how the folks here built their M53 semi's. Here's a couple.
Basically, repair your forward shroud bushing, making certain that the barrel has a few thou" clearance between the front bushing and the rear stop.
Welding being what it is, the common "EZ-track" jigs aren't always successful.
Just purchase the best (hardest, straightest) 5/16" NF X 48" threaded rod you can get. This goes through the barrel and out the back, all the way through.
Welding the metal sections is not for anyone in hurry. As you weld, adjust your beads side-to-side, more or less heat, so that the threaded rod continues to come straight out the back.
If it's crooked, back up....You don't want to build a banana.....
As it cools, it will crawl all over the place. Fix it. Experience will help. That's why this is a "hobby".
Best of luck.....Phil
M53 receiver 1-28-12 005 (3).jpg
M53 receiver 1-28-12 007 (2).jpg
M53 receiver 1-28-12 008 (3).jpg