CONSIDERING a build?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
XORstatus1

CONSIDERING a build?

Post by XORstatus1 »

Hello all,
I am considering a m53 build. I have built AK's and other previously but I am NO expert. Just a weekend tinkerer.
I was wondering if there was an all inclusive source that details how to build one of theses things in complete detail, something similar.

Like I said I am considering the build but I want to know what Im getting into before I buy any parts.

Also does anyone know where to get a receiver?
I found the complete parts kits, less receiver from centerfresystems.com for $300

Thanks guys,
Jason
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: CONSIDERING a build?

Post by waffendude »

welcome xorstatus1
info on building ---look in the stickies section on this web site---also check out www.projectguns.com---there is also a lot of good info there.

with your kit --you will most likly need 1. frt barrel bearing (rtgparts)
2. a fire control group (ar15/fal)
3. a rear receiver (gunbroker ? ? ?---these are getting harder to get---watch the for sale section here --and ya might get luckly)
of course you will need to have the internals modified (bolt,fcg housing,receiver)
also get some manuals for the 42 from jbaum--here on this site---www.germanmanuals.com ? ?
get lots of ammo,try to use the romy 8mm---it seems to have less problems than others
these are awesome when complete ---by far my favorite gun
thats my .02
good luck and happy building
waffen
XORstatus1

Post by XORstatus1 »

Thank you for the response I will check that website out.

Would this be a good starting point?
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53.aspx

It says that it comes with no receiver parts? I believe that they mean the internals?

Also are there other more complete kits available?

Thank you,
Jason
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

There won't be any receiver parts (rear) with that. They are cut nice though. You can always use the brp half shells. They take a lot of work but are doable
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

yes that wold be a good start--but like flemmgunner said ---you will need a rear receiver
check out brp,coldsteel both make rear receiver blanks/shells
also check out gunbroker---sometimes there more complete kits ava with the rear rece---just more $$
the kits at centerfire come with the internals/rails---just no rear receiver

sooo --get a kit
---get a frt barrel bushing/bearing
---get a rear receiver
-- ---get some type of fcg ----and make all of the semi mods
dont forget to be 922 compliant
i hope this helps---keep us posted
waffen :D
XORstatus1

Post by XORstatus1 »

It appears that the receivers at the low end retail for around $500+

including the parts kit $300

Other needed parts about $300

So at MINIMUM this build will cost about $1100, before buying special tools and other assorted necessities.

SO im assuming that this build will end up costing $1500-$2000 depending on the trouble that I run into.

Do you guys feel that that is a FAIR estimate?

Also, can the original parts be modified to become simi auto?

The only reason why I ask is because I ran into trouble using full auto parts in a semi ak.

The receiver of an ak must have a third hole in order to add additional parts to become full auto, SO my build COULD NOT have been a FULL AUTO nor could it have been modified to become full auto, physically impossible. But I found that using the original un modified parts is still un lawful. WHICH I DONT GET but I fixed the problem.

I JUST DONT WANT TO RUN INTO THAT AGIAN, i very much enjoy my firearms and I DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE MY PRIVILEGES because of some silly technicality.

ULTIMATELY I WANT TO KNOW THE LAWS SO I CAN ABIDE BY THEM.

Also what does it man by 80% receivers?
DO i need to wield additional guide rails or modify the receiver, other than adding parts?

AGAIN THANKS GUYS,
Jason
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

yes the rear rece will need to have a "blocking bar" installed ---so full auto parts cannot fit---also the hole area around the grip stick will need to be lenghtned---so a full auto fcg would not fit---also the bolt will need to be modifed into a "closed bolt" type of design with a free floating firing pin.
check out rtg parts --they have a "semi auto" kit --it looks like it includes alot of the items we've been talking about.
full auto parts cannot fit into the semi receiver----see the stickies section for further info
i would say around $1200.00 is close --but don't forget ammo.ammo,ammo
make sure that you are 922 compliant usally it's --- fcg,trigger housing (grip stick),rece,buttstock,barrell,ect
keep us posted
waffen :D
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Yes,read the stickies is most important! Well.after a good supply of ammo,I guess. All the full-auto parts can be converted,you do not have to buy any extra IF you are capable.If not,they are availlable from various sources'All the info you will need is on this site,use ' search' a lot,and if you can't find the info,just ask.
The stock rails are used for this.80% receiver is a term that really doesn't mean anything definate,that i have ever seen.100% receiver is another matter entirely. Mostly it is used to designate that it is NOT a complete receiver.
Your price range is about right,plus or minus depending on your skills and tools needed. Or you may have a friend with the more expensive tools that could help. Good luck! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Jason
This is posted here on this board.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10735

If the 80% is coldsteel you might want to do a search on this website to find out what others have to say on building a working weapon and the amount of effort needed.
There are several nice builds using brp parts in detail on this website.

Good Luck and big yes they are way harder than a ak47 build.

Later 42rocker