new guy needs help

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
kozzy

new guy needs help

Post by kozzy »

Hi all, I have been lurking around soaking up info for my 1st MG42 build. I have started to assemble a collection of parts, but it is far from complete. Anyways, I was going to start the receiver weld and buy more as money became available. My problem is that I cannot find a set of prints for aligning up the rear receiver. I tried to follow some links in this.forum, bit it seems they are all dead. Anybody have some measurements so I can align the receiver parts?
Thanks
Ken
Taurus454
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: new guy needs help

Post by Taurus454 »

Could you please post some pics of what you are trying to weld? I might be able to give some pointers.

Thanks in advance!

Tom
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
kozzy

Post by kozzy »

Sorry it took so long to reply, life has been hell.
Here's what I got, its a 3 piece torch cut. Back 2 portions are overlapping from will need some fill. I am missing the coming section and will deal with that later I guess, I ordered a repair section from Apex. I believe the shroud is an M53, because the barrel door is riveted not screwed. It has been neutered and will need some work. I have not yet expanded the hole for the grip stick, I wanted to avoid that until I had a jig or some gauge for length.
What I have is basically leftover parts. I will need to buy A LOT of things to get this up and running. But 1st thing 1st, I have to start somewhere. So the receiver rear it is. I would like to get everything set up before racking. I am not a welded, my uncle is, I am a machinists.
So, any help would be appreciated as well as any extra parts you guys don't want!
Thanks, Ken
Attachments
IMAG0060.jpg
IMAG0058.jpg
Taurus454
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by Taurus454 »

Okay, this doesn't look too bad. Keep in mind, what I am about to suggest, I would call the poor man's way of putting it together.

I would suggest that you are going to need to buy a set of rails if you don't have a set already. I would get it from http://www.robertrtg.com/mg.html. I would start by using the pistol grip as the jig to weld the two cut pieces that fit over the pistol grip. TIG weld with 70 PSI rods will do the trick. If you need exact recommendation and settings on what I would use, I can provide but keep in mind TIG is only a hobby of mine. You can also use the rails to help align the pieces to be welded. I would TIG the rails into the receiver pieces at this point and forgo the rivets.

Once the front two pieces are complete, you will have some of the rails sticking out the back that you can use to guide the rear portion of the receiver and TIG into place. Proceed slowly with the rear part of the receiver. You might want to mount the feed tray and feed tray cover to help fit the rear receiver into place into place at this point as well.

If you want, send me a PM and I could give you a lead on possibly borrowing an MG42 jig to do the project as well. Feel free to contact me should you have any other questions. I have been very sick of late so if I do not get back to you right away, I hope you will understand.

If someone else has other ideas, I would simply say please share them. Hope this helps!

Tom