Semi Build Help

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Bigdibbs88
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Semi Build Help

Post by Bigdibbs88 »

Hi All-

To make a long story short i sent my 42 kit off to a friend roughly 5 years ago to build into a semi for me. I just got it back today still not finished, which sucks. Part of the issue was a large torch cut to the right rear of the gun which kept causing warping. I plan to replace the rear half of the gun with the new made BRP parts. I've got a semi ready trigger group, semi bolt almost complete, and I think the front half of the gun is most of the way there. Its just a matter of cutting it off and adding the rear end on. I just dont have the metal tools or familiarity to finish this project by myself and have unfortunately been left in the lurch. Can anyone recommend someone, either here or via PM, who could finish this off for me? I can send photos if needed.

Thanks!
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Semi Build Help

Post by JBaum »

Anyone who finishes the gun needs a manufacturer's license, since they would be making it for you and not themselves.

Tread carefully.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

BRP makes a great product but if yours is pretty much done stick with it.

To avoid warp fill the gap with metal building up from one or both edges but not welding them together until you are only filling a small gap. Fixture it so it can’t warp. It’s all in the process and a good welder will know this.
FNG
Bigdibbs88
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by Bigdibbs88 »

thanks guys.....not looking to do anything illegal. Just looking for an individual or company that can finish this off for me and i know most dont mess with them.

Abominog- the guy i had building it for me was actually a tool and dye maker by trade with access to a ton of machinery and jigs etc. I know he was basically burnt out on building this stuff, he just kind of did it for me as a favor, but its just taken way too long. Theres one especially weak spot near the right rear which is the main problem area. I even ended up sending the whole gun out to be tempered to relieve the warping. At this point I figure ill just replace the whole rear section with better steel anyways, dont want this thing to grenade on me.

Anyways, if anyone can suggest anybody who will finish this off for me I'd appreciate it, I think its only a few hours away from completion.
robertmcw
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by robertmcw »

How much of the rear was welded and messed up?
I have an old IMA rear section and the last hole in the where the rail goes is good. Then you could cut and paste. It uses the MG42 tabs, not the MG3 tabs.
I would sell it for just little than a whole receiver as if you can find a BPR part it would very costly.
PM if interested.

RM
Tmiller
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Tmiller »

I have been dealing with Lewman Arms in Lakeland Fl, he is fixing my M53.

2710 Ewell Road
Lakeland, Florida 33811

Phone: (863) 430-6270
E-mail: sales@Lewmanarmsmanufacturing.com

FYI the guy is building M53 in full auto that shoots 7.62X39, was told this was not possible but he did it. He is a class 3 manufacture give him a call I have been very pleased with him. He plans on marketing the 7.62X39 as a conversion kit.