Better pitcures of my MG42 Jig-Fixture

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
pdstout

Better pitcures of my MG42 Jig-Fixture

Post by pdstout »

Due to a lot of missing pics that we can't seem to get back I have redone this thread with the following thread.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12693&p=91391#p91391

Later 42rocker

Here is a better look at my Jig-Fixture. It helps to keep everthing in line. I need all the help I can get!
I put together 2 today.
Thanks, P. Stout 07FFL/SOT
Attachments
MVC-001L.JPG
MVC-001L.JPG (102.54 KiB) Viewed 13351 times
MVC-002L.JPG
MVC-002L.JPG (99.46 KiB) Viewed 13357 times
MVC-004L.JPG
MVC-004L.JPG (112.98 KiB) Viewed 13480 times
pdstout

Here is how they turn out.

Post by pdstout »

Here is the welded up project.
P. Stout 07FFL/SOT
Attachments
MVC-010L.JPG
MVC-010L.JPG (98.79 KiB) Viewed 13310 times
MVC-011L.JPG
MVC-011L.JPG (90.93 KiB) Viewed 13318 times
MVC-012L.JPG
MVC-012L.JPG (87.61 KiB) Viewed 13346 times
Sevo
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sevo »

P. Stout,
waht do you use to grind down the welds between the trunion dimple and the first site brackets. I use dremmel stones but the done do such a great job..your looks great

any ideas

Also do you use the string as a sight level or do you actually put it down on the receiver to hel with it level

thanks again

Sevo
Chris
pdstout

Weld finishing

Post by pdstout »

I use flexable sanding disc, with a air grinder. I start with a 50 grit and work my way down to the fine hair scotch bright pads. They seem to work the best for me.
P. Stout 07FFL/SOT
PATRIOT

Strings

Post by PATRIOT »

I was curious about the strings too. Are they to sight along?
breda65

Strings

Post by breda65 »

The strings are to sight the alignment. I use the rivet holes on the back of the receiver and the center of the nose then I adjust the pieces acordingly. The string on top aligns with the two rivets on the back of the receiver and the sight mounts at the front. The back of the reciver is welded first using the rails as alignment. then the front end is put on the jig to conect the rest of the receiver togeather.
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Pdstout, you really know how to advertise! Now I will have to give you my four cut (just let me get the dough; I would never want to cross a guy like you he he...)
MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MGMike »

PD:

I'm coming into this late...did you ever list a price for your weld-up?

Thanks,

MikeD
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

he has an ad up in the services section .

http://www.panzer46.net/mg42board/viewtopic.php?t=3101
Last edited by drooling idiot on Sun Oct 08, 2006 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
MGAPA

Post by MGAPA »

The jig looks great! Everytime I think I do something smart, one of you guys shows me something REALLY smart. GTS
the10xer

Post by the10xer »

I'm new to this hobby, but have found some time to devote to it. What is the overall length of the reveivers, from the rr end to the frt of the threaded portion? :roll:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Welcome to the site-I hope you have a good time here.Now...I will give you the standard answer to your question.Go to the lower section of the index page,the section called 'stickies'.The answer is down about 3 or 4 posts. If I told you,then you might miss a whole lot of really good information. I know,when I started I missed it,too.Most of the stuff you will need is in there,or the tutorials.look in the FAQ box up top,also.Happy hunting. :D ---bil
the10xer

Thanks

Post by the10xer »

Thanks and I did, you were correct, I needed to see the rest.
jstrohm
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by jstrohm »

thanksr for posting the pics, this will help me in making a jig when i get around to welding mine up.
Tank Commander

Post by Tank Commander »

Interesting set-up. Gives me a few ideas to work with. Thanks for sharing this with us!
machinegunbob

Re: Better pitcures of my MG42 Jig-Fixture

Post by machinegunbob »

I am new to this forum. For some reason I find it impossible to acess these M.g.42 jig-fixture pictures. I have tried it at work with a real powerful comuter that DOES have some filters on it that my employer uses. At home I have a reasonably powerful Gateway laptop with no filters. Does anyone have any advice for me? I just bought a parts kit today, and I would like to start researching how to start this build out on the right foot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and God bless. Machinegunbob
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

Hi Machinegunbob it's not you. The site moved recently and some of the pics don't work anymore :(
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

MGbob,

We apologize for the technical difficulties. Early this summer we updated the software. Some (most) of the old pictures did not move with the conversion and are not viewable. Admin are working on moving the pictures, but this is a major task and there have been problems in the process. Perhaps the original member who posted the pictures could repost them, or maybe someone here has copied them and could post them in the mean time.

TC
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

here are photos of my jig, it is basically unisrtut and some 3/8" all thread, nuts and fender washers. it is simple and effective.
Attachments
mg4223.jpg
mg4224.jpg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

That is basically what I used on mine,got the ideas from Pirate and PStout.Look in 'Bil's build' for pics also ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert