Bil's build

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Re: Bil's build

Post by tomcatshaas »

here is an easy free program. anything about 600x450 is good.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

TC
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Thanks, Tom.

That site has an even easier process for resizing than the one I was thinking of. I'll be using it from now on.

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Test pic
Attachments
extra copies 053 (600 x 450).jpg
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Thank you TC-I owe you my first-born son![He is 23 and eats a lot-sent him via UPS] I have tried many other programs to shrink pictures-this is the easiest ever.I have replaced the pics on page one,I will work on the others as time permits.Thanks again!! :lol: :lol: ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Bil,

The shrunken pics on page one are a huge improvement and help. Hope you have time to get to page two, too. You've managed to bring together a number of different folks' techniques and, like it or not, will be used by a number of us as our tutuorial. :D

Your progress looks great, and I can't wait for more pics.

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Thanks,Garry-I have re-done all but one of the pics,I have to find the original.That re-size program is the greatest,thanks,TC.I will do all of my post pics in time.This build has been fun so far,almost there.I will also get pick of a new improved bucking bar,easy to make. ---bil
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Here are some pics of the riveting bucks and tool I ended up using.You can make your own with easy to get parts,or you can use the one from Pirate [if he still sells them]You will need a 7/16 threaded connector and several-3- 7/16 bolts. 2 bolts should be 5/8 long,the other should be around 1 1/2 long,the length isnt important on the third bolt,but it has to be long enough to have about 3/8" of unthreaded shoulder.Get 2 connectors for threaded rod,1 1/4 longThe bolt heads fit between the rails and prevent the buck from turning.The ones I made earlier in my build thread did NOT work.You will also need a lathe,although you could do this with a Dremel and a drill press.On the first connector,turn it down to 5/8 for a distance of 1/2 ".This is so the connector can turn in the rails.The second connector is turned down the same,but cut off the bottom 1/4 ".This is the thickness of the bolt head. Use hardened bolts.Flatten the heads,removing the markings on all 3 bolts.Using a ball head mill bit,drill into the tops of the 7/16x 5/8 bolts.use a bit that matches the rivet head profile.[or as close as you can get-it is better to be a little smaller than to have too big a hole]Set aside 1 of them,it is done.On the other,mill or dremel with a cut-off wheel a slot extending from the edge toward the center,but NOT into the 'dimple' you made.It is IMPORTANT that the slot is made from the long axis of the bolt head-the point! The flat sides must align with the rails.This is for the 4 rivets that are next to the guides on the rails.Check your fit with the rails and a rivet.The third ,longer bolt-Cut a slot wide enough and deep enough to clear the guide bars in the rails-again from point to point.Turn down the shoulder of the bolt so it will fit inside the connector without any threads engaging-it should fit snug but not tight.Then cut off the bolt head and about 1/4 " of the bolt.This will go inside the shorter connector and allow it to turn yet still be centered over the opposite rivet.This is the only thing I would do to Pirates buck,as the way it is it makes these 4 rivets hard to get in straight.If this is disjointed,it is because I have been awake 40 hours,I will post pictures now and the rest of the instructiond for this and another rivet tool tomorrow. ---bil
Attachments
6-21-07 053 (600 x 450).jpg
6-21-07 059 (600 x 450).jpg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I hope this makes the long ramble make more sense.I put in the measurements for the bucking tool.
Attachments
tool measurement1.png
tool measurement 2.png
propos

Post by propos »

I''d rather have you ramble than make sense, bil. You're more interesting that way. :D So when you gonna shoot it? Looks like you're getting close.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

How about the writing on the pics! It was the first time I tried it,they look good on this end.I actually fired it today! Single rounds first,the two in a belt.I will take it outside this weekend and try a lokger session.If it works good,I will pull it apart and do the blueing.I don't want to do that until I am sure I am done fitting.I am still waiting for that new spring! but am running a cut spring for now. ---bil PS... I will also get the specs for the rivet whacker,that is easier to make. :D
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Ok bil. I have to ask. quote "I will take it outside this weekend and try a lokger session."

does this mean you where test firing it in your house? :shock:

TC
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Yep!I set it up on my lafette in the front doorway,and shot into a stunp at the bottom of the bank out front.It makes an excellant backstop,and it is easier to set up-just drag it across the room.Ear protection is a must!It keeps it queiter outside. ---bil
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

Congratulation Bil, I know the feeling of getting it working the first time. Good looking weapon and welds.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Thank you! I can't wait to get it finished,there is still a lot to do at this point-more firing,teardown,cleanup,blueing,them put it back together and hope it still works.Then I will have to try another project.This stuff is addicting! ---bil
propos

Post by propos »

Bil wrote:Thank you! I can't wait to get it finished,there is still a lot to do at this point-more firing,teardown,cleanup,blueing,them put it back together and hope it still works.Then I will have to try another project.This stuff is addicting! ---bil
Addicting! That's putting it mildly. since I built the SA42, I have waiting in the wings, one Suomi, one PPS43, one FAL, one lonesome Romanian AK, a 7.62x54R conversion that if it works out ok there will probably be a WLA receiver attached to the Yugo kit that is stored away, and I probably forgot something. I'm tired. The company I work for hosted paintball today, and my butt is tired. And I almost bought a PKM kit, but I was laid-off at the time and could spare the funds.
So, I'm off to take a lokger showper. But not in the backyard.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I can't figure out how to move some pictures,so I am posting this to bring it up on the board. ---bil
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Might this be made a sticky?? There is a great deal of good info here from start to finish, especially for guys that joined recently.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I can't do that either-the last time I tried to move a post it went away somewhere.If someone wants to do it,it is fine with me.I will get some more info and pics together. ---bil
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

WOW nice to see you finally finished it bil Congrats! Now its time to build another or something else real challenging I think you need to build a KP44 or a Barretta 38A now
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

What are you,some kind of troublemaker!?Since I started listening to you and Garry,I have gotten 2 Berretta mp38a's and 2 PPSH41s,all nice kits,and started getting the parts together.I also just looked at the date of the last post I made in this thread and realized I haven't made much more progress since then.I guess I should stay home more,and I might get more done. ---bil