New FAL grip mods

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Pirate
General
General

New FAL grip mods

Post by Pirate »

I got the first set of the new fal conversion parts in today. It is a complete fcg box thet is easier to install on the grip.
the parts interlock and are welded together, there is no jig needed to get them right. I have 2 versions, one is a full width that allows the fal fcg to be installed with out thinning the hammer hub.
The other is narrower , the same width as the grip.
Attachments
nfg5.jpg
nfg4.jpg
nfg2.jpg
nfg1.jpg
Pirate
General
General

Re: New FAL grip mods

Post by Pirate »

These photos show the full width one with the fcg installed. The trigger return spring is mounted to the box and not the grip, this will make it easy to install.. The design need a couple changes. I will build a couple of grips to test each one.
I don't have prices yet as this was a production run, and I want to see how many people are interested before ordering them.
Attachments
nfg3.jpg
nfg8.jpg
nfg7.jpg
nfg6.jpg
MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MGMike »

Hi Pirate:

I'm in for one of the narrow ones.

MikeD
Orion Arms

Post by Orion Arms »

+ 1 on the narrow one as well.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Those look good! Any pics of the wider one,maybe showing how the grips need to be modified?I like the idea of more room there.Thanks. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

For some reason the pix aint showing up for me. I click em and get
The selected attachment does not exist anymore.

The file ./files/154_646185418e694374bc5118498aaf250c does not exist.

That makes me a ssssaaaadddddd panda
Glenn
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

They are still up-it may be something on your end. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

Bil wrote:Those look good! Any pics of the wider one,maybe showing how the grips need to be modified?I like the idea of more room there.Thanks. ---bil
I will try to get some better photos tonight. the wide one is .150" wider than the grip.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

After spending a few hours fooling with both models I am convinced the wider one is the way to go. It will alter the outward appearance of the grip slightly, but the grip panels can be thinned down on the top to cover it.

Basically this new design replicates the fal lower exactly. all the parts fit without modification and ther is enough room for the hammer tube to operate without binding. It may not look as good as the thinner one but it will work a lot better.

I am going to make some corrections and modifications to the drawings and get another set of prototype parts made and build a new grip from them. I should have prices by next week.

I need at least 10 people who will want these to even do an order, so if there is no interest it will go no where.
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

I'm Interested Pic's & Price?
Orion Arms

Post by Orion Arms »

what is the price pirate? and will you be installing them to the grip frame for us?
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

After looking at this for several hours I decided the wider one will work best. the hammer will be centered and the rest of the parts will have room to work as intended, eliminating any binding or friction.
once the box is welded to the grip and blended in it wil not be that noticeable. it only overlaps about .080" and the grip can be thinned down to cover most of it.

The cost for the parts depends on the quantity I order, I need at least 10 people to even bother with it.
at 10 the parts will run about $70.00, for 20 or more I can get it down to about $60.00 a set.
I will do the mods for $50.00, that includes welding and grinding, blasting and parking / black.

I am working on finding cheap fal parts, I would estimate the fal parts will run about $60.00

I have corrected the dwgs and will order parts as soon as there is enough demand. this new supplier can do them in a few days.

I am also working on the new bolt setup, I hope to get this new grip and bolt done sunday and ready to test again.
I will be relocating the retracting lug and modifying the cocking handle to give a more positive operation.
Attachments
wg1.jpg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

It looks like the grips will only require some minor thinning.I agree,the wider one seems better,it won't be as cramped inside. ---bil
Orion Arms

Post by Orion Arms »

put us down for one wide fal setup installed and one new bolt mod.
TbcSEOD

Post by TbcSEOD »

Pirate wrote:The cost for the parts depends on the quantity I order, I need at least 10 people to even bother with it.
at 10 the parts will run about $70.00, for 20 or more I can get it down to about $60.00 a set.
I will do the mods for $50.00, that includes welding and grinding, blasting and parking / black.
Is that$70.00 / 60.00 for just the box or is that box and FAL parts? (I ask because I have a few mixed parts and pieces from past FAL kits meaning I would only be needing the box itself (an I would supply my own FAL innards to put in it).

~T
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

that is just the box.
reb62

Post by reb62 »

Pirate,

May we purchase the conversion pieces and do the FCG mod ourselves?

If so, how much to purchase just the kit pieces. I would be more inclined to buy 2 kits from you. I like the learning and understanding process of the build.

Thanks.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

reb62 wrote:Pirate,

May we purchase the conversion pieces and do the FCG mod ourselves?

If so, how much to purchase just the kit pieces. I would be more inclined to buy 2 kits from you. I like the learning and understanding process of the build.

Thanks.
Yes, the parts are available seperately. I redesigned this setup to also make it easier for the home builder to use. you just assemble the box, weld it up cut your grip and weld it on. there will be locator tabs on the box to properly align it.
reb62

Post by reb62 »

Great :D

Count me in for (2) wide kits please.

Thanks.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

I am ordering the parts tomorrow. I will be off for the week of thanksgiving and will have the parts and time to do the conversions .

The cost for the conversion parts, which includes the fcg box, hammer and trigger pins attaching ears and pin is $70.00
installing the box on your grip and refinishing is $60.00 this will include the trigger return plunger and spring.
Shipping is $6.50

FAL FCG parts are not included in the price.

If you want me to do the conversion send me your stripped grip so I will have it in time.

If you only want the parts pm me for payment information, they will be reay to ship by next week.