GeeDeeEmm's Semi Auto Build

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

GeeDeeEmm's Semi Auto Build

Post by gdmoore28 »

Well, I've put this off long enough. Time to get this gun together before summer is gone. I still don't have 220v run to my shop, so I'll be forced to take the gun to my son's shop to use my TIG welder. I'll use my MIG welder to do the initial tacking and other initial welds, then move to the TIG when it's time to sew it all together.

The patient here is a WWII MG42 converted to 308 after the war -- ie, an MG2. As you can see from the pics, this gun has some of the cleanest, narrow cuts I've seen. All parts are German marked. I've accumulated enough German extras to convert it back to 8mm should the mood strike. The semi bolt was built by Thompson Machine, as was the new grip stick. (Marvelous work on both of them, by the way. Thanks, Richard :D ) If they work as nice as they look, I'll be quite happy.

I'm a huge procrastinator, so this will likely go in spurts. In the meantime, your comments, cautions, and recommendations are welcome. This is my first time out on on the MG42, but I'm looking forward to it. Hope you enjoy looking in, as well.

First step, as always, is keeping it legal. I installed a bolt block made from a piece of drill bit. It is inserted into the front anchor hole of the gripstick mount, then tacked in place. It was inserted far enough to block the insertion of the original full-auto bolt. Following that, the gripstick cutout was lenthened far enough that the front "hook" of a standard full-auto gripstick will no longer engage the frame.
Attachments
MG42 Semi Auto Build 001.JPG
MG42 Semi Auto Build 003.JPG
MG42 Semi Auto Build 006.JPG
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Re: GeeDeeEmm's Semi Auto Build

Post by gdmoore28 »

Next up is alligning the receiver pieces in preparation for welding. I'll be using the same jig used by most other builders here. There are already pics and directions posted for constructing the jig, so I won't bother reposting the same information. I used a couple of different sizes of all-thread rod and corresponding nuts and fender washers to bolt the frame pieces to the jig, then used various bolt-on pieces of the gun to aid in proper allignment and spacing.

For example, the camming piece alligns the camming section, and the top cover alligns the butt piece. (I have the rails bolted in place to further ensure proper spacing.) The only piece that will not bolt to the jig is the nose piece. Once the receiver pieces are securely tacked in place, I'll install the barrel, booster and "flash hider" and use them to index the nose piece.

These steps have taken up the full afternoon, and I still have some adjustments to make before I'm ready to tack the receiver together.

So far, this has gone rather smoothly. The only real problem I've battled are the incessant swarms of mosquitoes that have hatched out during the constant rains we've had this month. I've spent more time swatting those pesky little devils than working on the gun. I have a trash can full of empy insecticide containers, but despite gallons of spray soaking every inch of the shop, the little critters just will not give up on making fields of red welts on my nice farmer's tan :( :( :( :( :( .
Attachments
MG42 Semi Auto Build 008.JPG
MG42 Semi Auto Build 007.JPG
MG42 Semi Auto Build 011.JPG
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Last pics of the day's work, showing the bolt-on pieces and how they help to allign the receiver pieces in prep for welding.

GeeDeeEmm
Attachments
MG42 Semi Auto Build 013.JPG
MG42 Semi Auto Build 012.JPG
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

You got a rockin' looking kit! My ima rear ad gaps twice the size of yours.

I don't think there's much advice we can give you, you already look to have it handled :lol: . Good luck with the build, im sure it will turn out great!
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Thanks, Michael --

I was really thrilled to come across this kit when it was offered by a member of this board, and extra happy once I saw it in the flesh. Especially the cuts. They just required minimal cleaning up and matching, and that means a lot to me. I hate having to fill huge gaps.

Once this project is together, I'll post a number of up-close pics of the individual parts. I'm really happy with the quality and markings.

Enough cooing over the kit. It's just a gun, after all. But thanks for the comments, my friend.

(By the way, you will be adding more text and photos to "Michael's Build #2", will you not? We're all looking forward to your progress -- especially its unique "Canadian" provenance. Sounds like you are the only guy north of the border working on one of these.)

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

gdmoore28 wrote:Thanks, Michael --

I was really thrilled to come across this kit when it was offered by a member of this board, and extra happy once I saw it in the flesh. Especially the cuts. They just required minimal cleaning up and matching, and that means a lot to me. I hate having to fill huge gaps.

Once this project is together, I'll post a number of up-close pics of the individual parts. I'm really happy with the quality and markings.

Enough cooing over the kit. It's just a gun, after all. But thanks for the comments, my friend.

(By the way, you will be adding more text and photos to "Michael's Build #2", will you not? We're all looking forward to your progress -- especially its unique "Canadian" provenance. Sounds like you are the only guy north of the border working on one of these.)

GeeDeeEmm
I don't want to muck up your build thread with my rambling's, so after reading my posts you can probably get Bil or DA to clean up your post :lol:, but Yes , once i get started up i'll be updating my build! Actually, i am not the first, i fear i can only take credit to being second... John at Marstar beat me to it, he got his fancy engineers to design a semi auto mg42. However internally it is completely different than mine, so i can claim to be the first with this specific build :D . Unfortunately like any pioneer, i am subject to having my build approved or disapproved by the government, but i have enough "hook ups" here that it should not be an issue.

But this is your thread, i look forward to updates, and lots of em, very frequently. If you run into any confusion, i can advise you on exactly what NOT to do during your reweld... :lol:

Actually, i was reading up on a TIG welding technique than i am going to try when i get to that stage. It is referred to as "Pulsed-current", based on what i am reading it seems a little tricky, but it should reduce any warping to a minimum. Only thing is, it seems very tedious, and you will have to time it correctly.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=OOpTt5m ... ue&f=false
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Gary nice start :D

You may want to consider bug-nets over your head, no joke, while working in your shop.

I am not sure what insecticides you are filling your shop (and your lungs) with, but most contain various carcinogens and neurotoxins, the bug-nets are kind of a PIA-and a bit tricky when welding, but it is an option.

Keep up the pics.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Bug nets! Now, there's an idea. Actually, I keep them beaten back with good, soaking doses of Off. Keeps them off me almost everywhere, except when they get behind my glasses. Man, that IS aggravating. :? That's where the nets would come in handy.

GeeDeeEmm
EnfieldEd

Post by EnfieldEd »

Looks great Gary.

Good luck with the build. My wife leaves in a 2 weeks so if you want someone to drink beer and watch you work on a Saturday let me know :mrgreen: