FINALLY FINISHED A MG53

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

FINALLY FINISHED A MG53

Post by SHARPSSHOOTER5090 »

I finally got a duracot finish on the first of 2 MG53s I built. I think I will Parkerize the second one.

SS

(Notice that I am very calm and not shouting Bil. Oh, WHAT THE HELL, ITS DONE!!!)
Attachments
S5001105.JPG
S5001107.JPG
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Re: FINALLY FINISHED A MG53

Post by flemgunner »

Very nice man
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Congrats it looks great nice job... :photos:
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Awesome beautiful job :D
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

VERY NICE!!! Now that is worth shouting about!! :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

How come he's not shouting ? I'd be really jazzed to have finished my first M-53...
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Nicely done “SharpShooters5090 8)

I Duracoated my first one also, and took a lot of FLAK from my friends for not hot-bluing it :?

Hot-blue is beautiful, but with Duracoat it still looks great and you can enjoy it. Go ahead, grab it with salty hands, spill beer on it, rain, snow, etc, no worries. That piece of mind is worth something and it is thin enough to allow all proof marks, eagles, and swastikas to remain easy to read on the ’42.

Looks like you did an outstanding job keeping it even. Did you use, an air compressor and airbrush, or one of their stock options?
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

Very well done. A nice piece of history. Take it out and shoot it often. No one will ever be able to wipe the grin from your face.
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Looks great sharpshooter!!! :thumbs: I think you will like the way it will clean up,and the slober from the others at the range won't harm that finish either!!! :lol:

Bill :read:
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

I uses an air brush and compressed air to spray the Duracoat on after sand blasting. I mixed just enough of it at a time to fill the paint cup. Unfortuneatly I could not heat cure it because of the length of the receiver so I will have to let it sit for 2 weeks before I put the gun to hard use. I used Duracoat on a G3 and was able to get it in the oven (When the wife was at work) and heat cure it for 2 hours. That was almost 4 years ago and the G3 still looks like it was coated yesterday, despite hard use. Duracoat, although is not the correct finish for a firearms of this type, it is a whole lot easier to do that Parkerizing and it does cover small imperfection.

One thing I just noticed in the pictures, I completely forgot to replace the bolt that temporally holds the caming section together with a rivet before I applied the finish. Now I have to be careful not to damage the finish when I install the rivet. The nice thing about Duracoat is that if I do scuff it up putting in the rivet, it is easy to touch up.
SS

(Out of respect for Bil's sensitive ears, I tried not to shout about this one but when I get the second one Parkerized and well as my Bren, then Bil had better cover his ears!)
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

For projects like this,yell all you want!!BTW-is this the only site you type in a normal tone,or do you yell all over the net? :lol: Again,very nice work!! [as usual] ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Since I was severely chastised :swear: for shouting here by some un-named persons, I have made a real effort to not shout on other sites also, but sometimes it just slips out. I have poor texting eddicate (and spelling :oops: ).

SS

(THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENTS ALL!!!)
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

All kidding aside, Bil, some of those rear receiver sections I bought from you, are incorporated in both MG53s.
THANKS, you have had a hand in getting these up and running. :D

SS
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

You're welcome,I am glad I was able to help.After some of the other guns you have built,this project must have been much less trying!The home-made mg47[?] was great.And I never 'severly chastise' on the board,though it may seem it.I save the real stuff for the road trips! :lol: ---bil
SHARPSSHOOTER5090
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

WOOPS!, Bil, your right. It was my wife, son and daughter that 'severly chastise' me for shouting, not you. It's hell to get old and forget the details.

SS
SHARPSSHOOTER5090