New Build, starting with hopes of finishing

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

New Build, starting with hopes of finishing

Post by 42rocker »

Well I'm Thanking posters bmg17a1 and david1 on the 1919 website for being the final straw that did it...

I last posted the following......... http://1919a4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26815&page=4

NOW you did it, bmg17a1 and david1...

Boy, after reading, replying, and refering I guess that I need to put my parts where my mouth has been talking about.......

bmg17a1, after reading your post, page 3, of this full post I got my parts out and started an m-53 build.....

david1, I have bought a couple of m-53 parts kits from Jerry @ mgs (great folks). Then set them aside as a lot of folks do and finished building my house. Which we how have the co for and living in. Then after reading this tread/post went home got the IMA mg42 rears that I bought out and started working on them.... Got the rails and rivets out of the receivers and now starting to line things up... Grinding off the slag and getting the hf tig ready. Its time to learn how to tig... Going to following a lot of the GREAT posts and ideas that pirate has giving us on his website... http://www.projectguns.com/wlr1.html
Also using a lot of the GREAT info that the folks @
http://www.mg42.us
have posted for us..

david1 if you have the money talk to Brian @ BRP great way to go...
or wiselite products or if you just built a house or just don't have the money get a centerfire kit while they still have some, and build as best as you can following the pirate tread that is out there... Of course this way you will need to buy the rear parts (cut pieces or brp halfs (or built) or a wiselite rear)..

HOPING to have this thing ready for the Hernando shoot in FEB 2010....

****************************************************************************************************
WELL with the GREAT AMOUNTS of stuff that you folks have posted I hope to pull this one off.....

I'll try to take pics and post things as I'm going..

Later 42rocker
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Re: New Build, starting with hopes of finishing

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Good work, remember the journey of a thousand miles...the sooner you get started, the sooner you can start swearing when things go wrong :lol: :lol: No just kidding, hopefully the sooner you will have her ready. Keep us posted...
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

42rock,With all the excelent info here you should be able to get your M53 running like a top :thumbs: All the help I received kept me from jumping off the roof! :dizzy: , any problems you run into,can be solved here.( I asked some real bone headed questions)

Bill :read:
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

whats new

Post by 42rocker »

Well dug out the worst (smallest in length) cut ima receiver. After I received the receivers, I basically cleaned most of the slag off of all of them and made small boxes to store in before doing anything with them. Also sorted them smallest to longest and recorded all of the serial numbers. Note if you got or get any cut up 42receivers make sure that you try to save all of the small parts that you can. I was able to save several of the internal recupator springs and rods. Also saved several of the screws and nuts that hold the back of the recupator to the receiver.
ON WITH THE BUILD.... Took the receiver and ground off almost all of the slag. Then dug out a "German" (I believe) left side rail and took some screws and nuts and bolted the rail to the left outside of the of the receiver. Next took a couple of clamps and clamped the top left side pieces together in the two spots where the 3 pieces meet on top. With the slight slop from the rivet holes caused by using the screws I'm planning to use the measurement of 6.50 inches from the rear of the receiver to the back of the grip stop opening. Once I have this measured and I'm happy with using straight edges up and down the sides, I'll try to TIG a few tack weld spots to hold the 3 pieces in place. Then of course double check measurement and how straight it is I'll be trying to learn how to TIG the receiver back together.... I'm going to place a few ideas out on a couple of things to the folks here and then after I get their ideas I'll add them to this build info.
Also just got a parts kit in from Centerfire while I was typing this. Sent Pam @ CF my check on Friday and received the parts kit from the brown van today, Wednesday. Wow is all I can say about service and same about the kit......

More Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Remember to open up the grip slot and install the bolt block before you do any welding,just to keep it legal.Take pics of tour build,we haven't seen any new ones in a while! :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Well, interesting week at work... I'm going to try to post my 1st picture on this website.. So if you get nothing I failed. If not you get to see the start of the rear receiver line up. Cleaned everything up removed old rails and rivets and then bolted a "German" rail on the outside of the left side of the receiver. Then I'll add auto bolt stop and open up front area of grip slot. My next plans are to use posted measurements from the diagrams on this website and using the slop in the bolt / rivit holes push shove till I have 6.50 inches from the rear of the receiver to the back of the grip holder. I will also use several straight edges placed in as many spots till I get all of the 3 parts to line up. Then tighten and clamp everything tight.. Double check then try to tack weld in a few spots, Double check measurements and how straight everything is then start to tig welding in small areas slowly day by day till I'm happy with this part. Thats the plans at this time, lets see if I can post the picture..
Forgot the replace or reweld part is shown in the picture. 2 folks say reweld and 1 states he always replaces this part.. I still am thinking about what I'm going to do as I think highly of those folks that said both ways...
Still might reweld (tig) it then watch it and be ready to replace it..

Later 42rocker
weldreplace.jpg
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

When I rebuild a receiver I always cut out the torch cut areas and reweld in a new piece. Nice straight cuts with a 1mm gap for good weld penetration. It has a new trigger bracket, rails, ratchet plate, and buffer tabs.
Attachments
pix107814343.jpg
pix107817218.jpg
pix107817359.jpg
pix107817484.jpg
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Wow oakrodent, you have set the bar.... I can only hope that I can get to that level, or even near that level...
Well 1st timer, will give it a try.. Thanks for sharing the pics and stating that you would replace the grip holder and not reweld it.. Things to think about some more..

Thanks
Later 42rocker