MG-42 BRP Build

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

MG-42 BRP Build

Post by oakrodent »

I decided show a step by step build of one of my BRP receiver. I have built a few of these and this is how I do them. I am not saying it is the only way, but it’s the way I do them and they all have worked without a flaw. I also don’t use rivets. I have used them my whole life. From using them on a large farm in the Midwest when I was going up to aircraft in the military to gas turbines in the power industry. Rivets are hard to do correctly. I have done millions of them. Even if you get them tight, sometimes they become loose. This is a flaw I am not happy with. I weld everything. When my MG42’s are done they have all the correct rivet heads in all the correct places, inside and out and it is quite easy to do. I will show every step for you first time builders. I will have this one completed in under a month. I measure everything in millimeters. All my tools are standard.
Attachments
1-	Lay out all your parts.  I remove the bolts that hold the feed cover latch and barrel door latch.  I then retap the holes and chase the threads of the screw.  If there is a problem now is the time to catch it.  You want do completely disassemble the Mg after you test fire so it can be sandblaster and blued.
1- Lay out all your parts. I remove the bolts that hold the feed cover latch and barrel door latch. I then retap the holes and chase the threads of the screw. If there is a problem now is the time to catch it. You want do completely disassemble the Mg after you test fire so it can be sandblaster and blued.
2-	Lay out semi auto bolt block location on the bottom of the receiver.  I also mark the block for the correct installation direction
2- Lay out semi auto bolt block location on the bottom of the receiver. I also mark the block for the correct installation direction
3-	Proper set up before milling is key!  Make sure you are level
3- Proper set up before milling is key! Make sure you are level
4-	Mill notch
4- Mill notch
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Re: MG-42 BRP Build

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 5 - 8
Attachments
5-	Weld in the semi auto block.  I use a Miller 210 mig welder with 0.023 wire.
5- Weld in the semi auto block. I use a Miller 210 mig welder with 0.023 wire.
6-	Grind welds flush.
6- Grind welds flush.
7-	Mill charging handle groove in ratchet plate.  I use a 3/32 keyseat cutter to cut this in the middle of the dimples.
7- Mill charging handle groove in ratchet plate. I use a 3/32 keyseat cutter to cut this in the middle of the dimples.
8-	Trial fit the charging handle in ratchet plate.  You will have to mill the bottom of the ratchet plate for clearance.
8- Trial fit the charging handle in ratchet plate. You will have to mill the bottom of the ratchet plate for clearance.
Pic 9.JPG
Pic 10.JPG
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 9 - 12
Attachments
9-	Lay out charging handle slot on the receiver.  Don’t do the charging handle cut out yet.
9- Lay out charging handle slot on the receiver. Don’t do the charging handle cut out yet.
10-	Machine the slot in the receiver.  MAXIMUM slot depth is 2.5mm
10- Machine the slot in the receiver. MAXIMUM slot depth is 2.5mm
11-	Measure the distance between the top of the ratchet plate groove to the bottom of the charging handle slot.  Measurement “A”  mine is 15mm
11- Measure the distance between the top of the ratchet plate groove to the bottom of the charging handle slot. Measurement “A” mine is 15mm
12-	Disassemble charging handle.  If you are using a mill, remove the button on the end
12- Disassemble charging handle. If you are using a mill, remove the button on the end
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 13 - 16
Attachments
13-	Machine charging handle using measurement 11A (step 11 measurement A)  Mine is 16.5mm before milling.  I removed 1.5mm from 2 locations.  Also square the inside bend of the charging handle for the semi auto bolt.
13- Machine charging handle using measurement 11A (step 11 measurement A) Mine is 16.5mm before milling. I removed 1.5mm from 2 locations. Also square the inside bend of the charging handle for the semi auto bolt.
Pic 16.JPG
14-	Lay out charging handle cut out.
14- Lay out charging handle cut out.
15-	Mill charging handle cut out.  You will need to rotate the receiver to complete the cut out.
15- Mill charging handle cut out. You will need to rotate the receiver to complete the cut out.
Pic 19.JPG
16-	Clean up the cut out and slot.  Trial fit charging handle.
16- Clean up the cut out and slot. Trial fit charging handle.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 17 - 21
Attachments
17-	I sandblast all parts that are welded / riveted to the receiver.  I then spray them with gun oil to prevent rusting
17- I sandblast all parts that are welded / riveted to the receiver. I then spray them with gun oil to prevent rusting
18-	Lay out the holes for the rear barrel guide / barrel door bracket on both sides.  Drill the 8 marked holes with a ¼ drill bit.  Drill the barrel door rivet holes with a 15/64 drill bit.  Clean all burrs
18- Lay out the holes for the rear barrel guide / barrel door bracket on both sides. Drill the 8 marked holes with a ¼ drill bit. Drill the barrel door rivet holes with a 15/64 drill bit. Clean all burrs
19-	Clamp in your upper or lower bracket.  The upper and lower brackets are not the same.  The barrel door rivet holes are off set.  Before you clamp in the bracket put a 15/64 drill bit threw the barrel door rivet holes to align the bracket.
19- Clamp in your upper or lower bracket. The upper and lower brackets are not the same. The barrel door rivet holes are off set. Before you clamp in the bracket put a 15/64 drill bit threw the barrel door rivet holes to align the bracket.
20-	Weld the bracket to the receiver.  Repeat steps 19 and 20 for the other bracket.
20- Weld the bracket to the receiver. Repeat steps 19 and 20 for the other bracket.
21-	Grind welds flush and smooth
21- Grind welds flush and smooth
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 22 - 27
Attachments
22-	Cut 3 large rivets to the same thickness as the front barrel stop
22- Cut 3 large rivets to the same thickness as the front barrel stop
23-	Drill out the 3 rivet holes in the receiver for the front barrel stop to a 3/8 hole.  Clean and deburr holes.
23- Drill out the 3 rivet holes in the receiver for the front barrel stop to a 3/8 hole. Clean and deburr holes.
24-	Install front barrel stop into the receiver.  If you have to hit anything with a hammer when building the MG-42 use a brass drift.
24- Install front barrel stop into the receiver. If you have to hit anything with a hammer when building the MG-42 use a brass drift.
25-	Mark a line on your barrel bearing.  This is a very important setting for the correct location of the front barrel stop.
25- Mark a line on your barrel bearing. This is a very important setting for the correct location of the front barrel stop.
26-	Install all 3 cut rivets on the inside of the front stop.  Install the barrel bearing and barrel.  Move the barrel forward until the line on the barrel bearing can be seen on the outside of the front receiver bushing.  The line should be even with the front bushing.  The barrel stop should be seated square on the barrel.
26- Install all 3 cut rivets on the inside of the front stop. Install the barrel bearing and barrel. Move the barrel forward until the line on the barrel bearing can be seen on the outside of the front receiver bushing. The line should be even with the front bushing. The barrel stop should be seated square on the barrel.
27-	Weld the front barrel stop to the receiver and grind the welds down flush and smooth.
27- Weld the front barrel stop to the receiver and grind the welds down flush and smooth.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 28 - 33
Attachments
28-	You may need to make some adjustments to these tabs to get the barrel to fit.
28- You may need to make some adjustments to these tabs to get the barrel to fit.
29-	Extend a line from the front of the trunnion  cut out to the top of the receiver.  Measure from this line to the back of the trunnion  stop 29C  Mine is 19mm
29- Extend a line from the front of the trunnion cut out to the top of the receiver. Measure from this line to the back of the trunnion stop 29C Mine is 19mm
30-	Measure trunnion  opening on the receiver.  Mine is 20mm x 32mm
30- Measure trunnion opening on the receiver. Mine is 20mm x 32mm
31-	Measure front of cam to front of trunnion  31D mine is 20mm also measure trunnion  cam size.  Mine is 20mm x 33mm
31- Measure front of cam to front of trunnion 31D mine is 20mm also measure trunnion cam size. Mine is 20mm x 33mm
32-	  31D – 29C = 32E  Mark out the trunnion  cut out.  Remove 32E from the front of the trunnion .  I have to remove 1mm
32- 31D – 29C = 32E Mark out the trunnion cut out. Remove 32E from the front of the trunnion . I have to remove 1mm
33-	Machine out you trunnion .  My trunnion  cam is 20mm x 33mm so I machined out my opening to 21mm x 34mm.  Ensure you have .5mm clearance around your cam area.
33- Machine out you trunnion . My trunnion cam is 20mm x 33mm so I machined out my opening to 21mm x 34mm. Ensure you have .5mm clearance around your cam area.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 34 -35
Attachments
34 - Install your trunnion .  You may need to remove a small amount of material from these areas to get the trunnion  fit.
34 - Install your trunnion . You may need to remove a small amount of material from these areas to get the trunnion fit.
35 - When the trunnion  is installed, it should be up against the trunnion  stops.  I also cut the bolt.  I leave 2 threads showing.  They are needed later so don’t cut it any shorter.
35 - When the trunnion is installed, it should be up against the trunnion stops. I also cut the bolt. I leave 2 threads showing. They are needed later so don’t cut it any shorter.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 36 - 40
Attachments
36 - To rivet the barrel door I use a C-clamp with two cut washers to lock the front foot.
36 - To rivet the barrel door I use a C-clamp with two cut washers to lock the front foot.
37 - Install barrel door and rivet.  After riveting open and close the door a few times to loosen it up.
37 - Install barrel door and rivet. After riveting open and close the door a few times to loosen it up.
38 - Install barrel door latch.  Close door and ensure it latches.
38 - Install barrel door latch. Close door and ensure it latches.
39 - Install the barrel bearing and barrel.  Ensure the door latches properly and the barrel moves freely back and forth.  If the barrel is hard to move check these areas for interference.  Also if the door is hard to latch when the barrel is properly seated all the way down and the barrel is hard to move back and forth you may need to also remove a small amount of material from the barrel pads on the barrel door latch.  The best way to check this is to slightly unlatch the door.  The barrel will them move freely.  Be carful not to remove too much!
39 - Install the barrel bearing and barrel. Ensure the door latches properly and the barrel moves freely back and forth. If the barrel is hard to move check these areas for interference. Also if the door is hard to latch when the barrel is properly seated all the way down and the barrel is hard to move back and forth you may need to also remove a small amount of material from the barrel pads on the barrel door latch. The best way to check this is to slightly unlatch the door. The barrel will them move freely. Be carful not to remove too much!
40 - Stand receiver up and measure from the barrel bearing to the front receiver bushing with the barrel in the full back position.  You should have around 8mm
40 - Stand receiver up and measure from the barrel bearing to the front receiver bushing with the barrel in the full back position. You should have around 8mm
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 41 - 45
Attachments
41 - The lower buffer tab is smaller than the upper tab.
41 - The lower buffer tab is smaller than the upper tab.
42 - The front of the tabs are going to be installed flush with the back of these machined grooves.  This is very important!
42 - The front of the tabs are going to be installed flush with the back of these machined grooves. This is very important!
43 - Set the lower tab in its correct position and mark the location of the buffer latch stud along with an arrow pointing forward.  The tabs are too long and will be cut to the correct size after they are welded in.
43 - Set the lower tab in its correct position and mark the location of the buffer latch stud along with an arrow pointing forward. The tabs are too long and will be cut to the correct size after they are welded in.
44 - Drill a ¼ hole for the latch stud.  I also put a 3/8 counter bore on the inside for a better weld.  Also mark the tab to show that the flat side of the stud goes on the right side of the receiver.
44 - Drill a ¼ hole for the latch stud. I also put a 3/8 counter bore on the inside for a better weld. Also mark the tab to show that the flat side of the stud goes on the right side of the receiver.
45 - Weld the stud to the tab and grind the weld flush.
45 - Weld the stud to the tab and grind the weld flush.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

steps 46 - 51
Attachments
46 - Measure distance from the outside of the receiver to the inside rear machined groove. 46E
46 - Measure distance from the outside of the receiver to the inside rear machined groove. 46E
47 - Drill out the two lower buffer tab rivet holes and the two upper ones also with a 3/8 drill bit.
47 - Drill out the two lower buffer tab rivet holes and the two upper ones also with a 3/8 drill bit.
48 - Clamp in the lower tab and weld.  MAKE SURE you are flush with the machined groove.
48 - Clamp in the lower tab and weld. MAKE SURE you are flush with the machined groove.
49 - Clamp in the upper tab and weld.  Again make sure you are flush with the machined groove.  Grind all welds flush
49 - Clamp in the upper tab and weld. Again make sure you are flush with the machined groove. Grind all welds flush
50 - Measure in 46E from the outside of the receiver and mark the tabs to be cut.
50 - Measure in 46E from the outside of the receiver and mark the tabs to be cut.
51 - Cut tabs with a small cut off wheel.
51 - Cut tabs with a small cut off wheel.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 52 and 53
Attachments
52 - Install the buffer assy.  If it is hard to slide in, check to see if the walls are square.  If not put receiver into a vice and adjust.  The buffer should slide in easily.  When you turn the buffer and it is hard to turn.  Check to make sure the tabs are not in the machined groove area.
52 - Install the buffer assy. If it is hard to slide in, check to see if the walls are square. If not put receiver into a vice and adjust. The buffer should slide in easily. When you turn the buffer and it is hard to turn. Check to make sure the tabs are not in the machined groove area.
53 - Mill a 3/16 hole 6 mm deep 10mm from the back of the receiver for the buffer latch spring.
53 - Mill a 3/16 hole 6 mm deep 10mm from the back of the receiver for the buffer latch spring.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 54 - 58
Attachments
54 - Machine this area only so the opening is 18mm wide for the trigger housing.
54 - Machine this area only so the opening is 18mm wide for the trigger housing.
55 - Drill 3/8 holes in these three areas.
55 - Drill 3/8 holes in these three areas.
56 - Cut one large recessed rivet to the same thickness as the trigger bracket/recoup stop.
56 - Cut one large recessed rivet to the same thickness as the trigger bracket/recoup stop.
57 - Cut your recoup to match the top one.
57 - Cut your recoup to match the top one.
58 - This is the correct orientation for the front recoup bolt.
58 - This is the correct orientation for the front recoup bolt.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 59 - 64
Attachments
59 - You need to drill out the front recoup hole with a 7/32 drill bit.  Then install the recoup.  Make sure the recoup is turned down so the tabs are down against the receiver.
59 - You need to drill out the front recoup hole with a 7/32 drill bit. Then install the recoup. Make sure the recoup is turned down so the tabs are down against the receiver.
60 - Install trigger bracket/recoup stop
60 - Install trigger bracket/recoup stop
61 - Install trigger housing
61 - Install trigger housing
62 - Pin the trigger housing to the bracket and push the trigger bracket/recoup stop up against the back of the recoup.
62 - Pin the trigger housing to the bracket and push the trigger bracket/recoup stop up against the back of the recoup.
63 - Install the cut recessed rivet into the bracket and weld the bracket to the receiver.  After you weld the rear bracket rivet hole, you will have to remove the trigger housing to weld the two remaining holes.
63 - Install the cut recessed rivet into the bracket and weld the bracket to the receiver. After you weld the rear bracket rivet hole, you will have to remove the trigger housing to weld the two remaining holes.
64 - Grind down all the weld.  Drill out the rear recoup bolt hole with a 7/32 drill bit.   Install rear recoup bolt and tighten nut.
64 - Grind down all the weld. Drill out the rear recoup bolt hole with a 7/32 drill bit. Install rear recoup bolt and tighten nut.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 65 - 68
Attachments
64 - Cut 15 small rivets to the same thickness as the rail.  I use an old piece of rail.
64 - Cut 15 small rivets to the same thickness as the rail. I use an old piece of rail.
68 - Left and right rails are not the same.  The left rail has one thinner rail.  One is 2mm and the other is 3.5mm   Both rails on the right side are 3.5mm  You can use 2 left rails.  Mark your rails left and right.
68 - Left and right rails are not the same. The left rail has one thinner rail. One is 2mm and the other is 3.5mm Both rails on the right side are 3.5mm You can use 2 left rails. Mark your rails left and right.
67 - Lay out your holes for your rails.  They should be on the rails center line.  When marking out your holes, you want the rails stops tight against the receiver.  Use a 5/32 drill bit for the holes.
67 - Lay out your holes for your rails. They should be on the rails center line. When marking out your holes, you want the rails stops tight against the receiver. Use a 5/32 drill bit for the holes.
68 - I made a simple way to hold the rivets tight in the rails so the rails can be welded tight against the receiver.  Make sure you cut it so it can push on the rivet and has clearance for the middle bolt tabs.  I used two 3/8-16 x ¾ bolts, one 3/8-16 nut, and one 3/8-16 coupler nut.
68 - I made a simple way to hold the rivets tight in the rails so the rails can be welded tight against the receiver. Make sure you cut it so it can push on the rivet and has clearance for the middle bolt tabs. I used two 3/8-16 x ¾ bolts, one 3/8-16 nut, and one 3/8-16 coupler nut.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 69 - 73
Attachments
69 - Drill out these 3 holes on both sides of the receiver with a 3/8 drill bit.
69 - Drill out these 3 holes on both sides of the receiver with a 3/8 drill bit.
70 - Install rails using four 6-32 x 1” bolts with nuts.  MAKE sure the rails are centered on the trunnion.
70 - Install rails using four 6-32 x 1” bolts with nuts. MAKE sure the rails are centered on the trunnion.
71 - Install 1 set of rivets.  Use the spreader to push them tight against the receiver.
71 - Install 1 set of rivets. Use the spreader to push them tight against the receiver.
72 - Weld in the rails when you installed the rivets.  Continue steps 71 and 72 until all 3 holes are done.
72 - Weld in the rails when you installed the rivets. Continue steps 71 and 72 until all 3 holes are done.
73 - Remove the 4 bolts.  Drill out the receiver with a 3/8 hole saw.  Do not damage the rail.  Use steps 71 and 72 to finish the rail rivet holes.  Grind all weld flush when finished.
73 - Remove the 4 bolts. Drill out the receiver with a 3/8 hole saw. Do not damage the rail. Use steps 71 and 72 to finish the rail rivet holes. Grind all weld flush when finished.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 74 and 75
Attachments
74 - Check the rear of both rails to see if they extend into the front buffer lock grove.  If they are, cut them back out of this area.
74 - Check the rear of both rails to see if they extend into the front buffer lock grove. If they are, cut them back out of this area.
75 - Test fit the bolt head in the rails.  It should move freely back and forth.  If it doesn’t you have to correct this.  I have a bolt head I accidently dropped awhile ago and broke off on of its tabs.  I use this and a brass drift to adjust the rails.  Hit the bolt from the bottom.  Not the top.
75 - Test fit the bolt head in the rails. It should move freely back and forth. If it doesn’t you have to correct this. I have a bolt head I accidently dropped awhile ago and broke off on of its tabs. I use this and a brass drift to adjust the rails. Hit the bolt from the bottom. Not the top.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 76 - 79
Attachments
76 - Pin on the feed tray.  It has to sit flat on the top of the receiver.
76 - Pin on the feed tray. It has to sit flat on the top of the receiver.
77 - This is the area that needs to be machined to get the feed tray down flat.
77 - This is the area that needs to be machined to get the feed tray down flat.
78 - I use a mill for this task.  You can also use a grinder or a sanding disk.
78 - I use a mill for this task. You can also use a grinder or a sanding disk.
79 - Install the feed cover latch and install the feed cover on the receiver.  Feed cover should latch nicely.
79 - Install the feed cover latch and install the feed cover on the receiver. Feed cover should latch nicely.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 80 - 84
Attachments
80 - Lay out your holes for the front sight assy on both sides of the receiver.  Measure from the front of the receiver bushing back.  The flash hider lock hole is 68mm and the fight is 88mm.  Measure 4mm up from the flat area.
80 - Lay out your holes for the front sight assy on both sides of the receiver. Measure from the front of the receiver bushing back. The flash hider lock hole is 68mm and the fight is 88mm. Measure 4mm up from the flat area.
81 - Use a 5/32 mill to drill these holes.  A drill bit will walk too much to get things straight.  Lay out and set up is very important for this step.
81 - Use a 5/32 mill to drill these holes. A drill bit will walk too much to get things straight. Lay out and set up is very important for this step.
82 - Mark out the slot for the sight assy.  It is 13mm wide.  Mill out this area.
82 - Mark out the slot for the sight assy. It is 13mm wide. Mill out this area.
83 - When milling out the slot, mill it even with these two areas.  They are not on the same level.  The flash hider lock is lower.
83 - When milling out the slot, mill it even with these two areas. They are not on the same level. The flash hider lock is lower.
84 - Make sure the slot is only slightly wider than the sight assy.  Don’t remove too much material.
84 - Make sure the slot is only slightly wider than the sight assy. Don’t remove too much material.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Steps 85 - 89
Attachments
85 - Mark out the two mill lines.
85 - Mark out the two mill lines.
86 - Using a cut off wheel open up the slot to the lines you marked.
86 - Using a cut off wheel open up the slot to the lines you marked.
87 - You want a nice bevel, not a flat edge.
87 - You want a nice bevel, not a flat edge.
88 - Test fit your flash hider lock bar.  I use a 5/32 drill bit.  Lift the bar up and measure to the front receiver bushing.  You should have 20mm
88 - Test fit your flash hider lock bar. I use a 5/32 drill bit. Lift the bar up and measure to the front receiver bushing. You should have 20mm
89 - If your lock does not lift to the correct measurement.  Remove some material from this area.
89 - If your lock does not lift to the correct measurement. Remove some material from this area.