dimensions needed

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Michael J

dimensions needed

Post by Michael J »

Sorry oakrodent for stealing your picture!

Okay what is the length, width, and thickness of these things right here? I am not sure where i can get them, so i figured i'd make my own :) . What is the purpose of the bump in the middle too, will i have to weld some metal on to copy this bump, like is it important? If so, how far is the bump from the bent tabs, and how long should i make this bump?
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: dimensions needed

Post by 42rocker »

Michael J
Looking for Barrel door supports?? Try

http://www.brpguns.com/mg42.htm

cost $35.

Good Luck with your built

Later 42rocker
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

i knew they had them :D, i was looking in the "semi auto" section, and they do not advertise them there, so i thought maybe sold out!

Hmm, $35 though... normally i'd go for it, but im not making any further purchases from them, and i will end up paying just as much in shipping costs...

Can anyone get a rough length measurement out of their gun? It appears it is the same thickness as the receiver, and i can get the width from the slot these install into. I just need a length measurement! Anyone got their gun handy and a ruler?
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

OK I give in, what the hell are these parts? I am off to investigate my MG42 and if I find them I will measure them.
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

I just measured one on an mg42 receiver. It measures 3.565".
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

resting wrote:I just measured one on an mg42 receiver. It measures 3.565".
Thank you SO much :D ! I figured just over 3 inches or so, going from memory.

I can go by eye for the rest of the dimensions, i'm sure i'll have to trim the tabs to fit anyways, and the width is easily found because it will either fit in the receiver, or not.

Longhorn, they are barrel door supports. They also appear to have another function, that i am not sure of, due to the tabs that are bent downwards... I would like to know the function of these tabs , and also the function of the bulge in the center of them? Just so i know, is it crucial i make my supports with them?

Just out of curiosity, do all MG42's have approximately the same length supports, or were these made somewhat "custom fit" to each gun? I wouldn't mind a 2nd opinion just in case :) .
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

I'll measure the width tomorrow. Sorry I forgot that you asked for that as well. Have no way of measuring the thickness as they are installed in the barrel shroud.
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

resting wrote:I'll measure the width tomorrow. Sorry I forgot that you asked for that as well. Have no way of measuring the thickness as they are installed in the barrel shroud.
no need, not a big issue to me, although how far is that bump in the center from the bent down tab? and what is the length of this bump?

Actually, do you know the purpose of this bump in the center of the barrel supports, or is purely cosmetic? If there is no point in me welding on the extra metal, than i won't bother doing so.

I can't thank you enough for your help, but i feel bad making you go into your safe or garage just to inspect your gun :oops: !
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

Ah found them! The bumps are there to support the C shaped barrel support that is in the receiver. I will take a photo later as my camera battery is flat.
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Michael J
overall bottom 3.908 in.
bottom width .403 in.
thickness .10 in. same as the receiver

overall top 3.920 in.
top width .422 in.
thickness .10 in. same as the receiver

bump from the bent up end in the back to back edge of the bump bottom 2.892 top 2.903
this is the bump where the barrel gate rivets attach, right.

The other small bump is where the "u" shaped part that is riveted in 3 spots.
Bottom 1.435 in. from rear. Top approx the same. length of raised spot is .425 in.

Of course with most of this it's the best eye ball measurement for me as the parts are still in the barrel shroud.
Barrel shroud is German "type 1 double U"

As per our pm in which you stated in or mm, I'm measuring in inches.
This is an interesting part to make from scratch without one in front of you... GOOD LUCK..

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Sorry forgot one

Length of raised rivit area for barrel gate.. Back to start raised area 2.888 in.
Back to front raised area 3.604 in.
Therefore front raised area is .716 in.
Had to do it that way as barrel gate door is in the way to take a direct measurement.

Good Luck

Later 42rocker
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Thanks 42rocker and longhorn for the additional help!

Yeah, it really is a pain to fabricate and install stuff when you have nothing to reference to... I wish i still had my yugo front shroud, but that helped pay for my BRP receiver stampings, so i couldn't utilize it for copying :( .

42rocker, inches is fine, i deal with them all the time, you've been a MASSIVE help to me, i cannot thank you enough, and i got your PM , thanks :D !

Thank you everyone for your help, lets see how this goes!
Michael
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Rounded up to the nearest 16th (i can always file to fit if need be with relative ease) , here is a to scale picture of the tabs. Do note the thickness is NOT to scale, nor is the height of raised portions.

Higher resolution image here:
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w125 ... pports.jpg
Panzercanuck

Post by Panzercanuck »

Wow Very Professional there Michael J, nice work.
Panzercanuck
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Hey Micheal, I've got a set I can send you. PM me an address and give a donation to the web site. I am also working on getting the rest of the build steps back up. I had a computer problem at home and had to reformat. I should have it done tonight and I will get the build steps back up ASAP
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

NICE Drawing work! So nice I hijacked it and added some take off numbers from a yugo. Now reposting Michael J's nice work...
If you are thinking about making these supports, think about making the raised areas larger than shown. This will give you a larger target area and (DOUBLE CHECK) I don't believe that it cause any problems by making them larger...

Ok, if someone said donate to the site and I'll send you a set.. I would send the money asap unless I was planning to make a large batch..

Later 42rocker
door gate supports redo.jpg