A couple of new build questions

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
blakesguns
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

A couple of new build questions

Post by blakesguns »

-When is the best time to install the receiver rails? I am building an m53. I have the camming section welded to the grip stick section of the receiver. Yes, the grip stick slot has been milled out an the FA bolt block has been installed. I guess my next step is to weld the buffer section of the receiver on but this seems like it will make it harder to adjust the threaded rod nuts/bolts that I'm using for bucking tools. On the other hand, I want too make sure the bolt is correctly positioned by the rails after all sections are welded.
-I have read on other threads that to weld the rear buffer section on you use the measurement of 6.5" from the rear of the grip stick cut out the the end of the buffer receiver section. Should I use this measurement or simply install the buffer assembly and use this to set my legth?
-How loose/tight should the buffer assembly be held by the tabs?
-Do you guys use the rail rivets as they come or did you have to trim them some? My buddy gave me a few left over from his build and it seems as they are a little long. These are the rivets that RTG sells. Bill has some on the way for me.
Thanks for your help,
Blake
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: A couple of new build questions

Post by Bil »

The ones I send are a little long,I give some extras so you can practice with scrap of the correct thickness.It depends what you use to form the rivet head. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
cz2
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by cz2 »

A question on rail rivets,are they cold formed or heated prior to forming the head? When they are used in the gun to retain the rails.Seems like hot forming might be easier and pull in tighter on cooling? Maybe over kill and not needed?
later,cz2
All glory is fleeting.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I heated them with a propane torch,other have heated with a welder or even welded the rails in place.For bucking the rails,you should be able to get to the tool to tighten it through the top slot.If you weld the rear on first you will be able to clean up your welds easier with the rails out. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert