building a Semi Auto Mg42 and seem to run into a problems

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
mp5pdw2001
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

building a Semi Auto Mg42 and seem to run into a problems

Post by mp5pdw2001 »

I am building a Semi Auto Mg42 and seem to run into a problems with the barrel fitting in the receiver. I had put everything together including the Recuperator tube and this is where the problems start. The issue is that the barrel hits the Recuperator and will not go in it looks like it may be about 3/16" to long and hitting the barrel and in return the barrel will not fit. I am building this gun with all the old receiver parts and everything seems to line up on the back of the receiver. I had to install a new barrel bushing in the front of the receiver and this was a 4 cut receiver that I started with.

:bang:
Ed

(If in doubt about the condition of a firearm, always get a friend to fire it first..)
TactAdv
Major
Major

Re: building a Semi Auto Mg42 and seem to run into a problems

Post by TactAdv »

It sounds like your barrel return plunger has skipped out of the retaining notch engagement with the front mounting bolt there. If the bolt isn't resting in the retaining notch of the plunger....it will allow the plunger to protrude further than it should and the barrel extension will hit it as you try and push the barrel into place.

Can you see the front of the barrel return plunger dangling out of the recuperator tube? If so, you'll need to take out the whole recuperator assembly and then remove the front bolt, push in the plunger until the front bolt can be reinserted into the plunger retaining notch, then reinstall the whole assembly.

Much easier to do than it sounds.

-TomH
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

It can also be installed backwards,changing the length. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
mp5pdw2001
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by mp5pdw2001 »

I have taken the Recuperator tube out to see if it was backwards and it seems to be correct the way I have it installed it just seems to be too far forward for some reason by 1/8" to 3/16" I also checked the front boaster bearing and it seems to not be going all the way forward. I stick the barrel in the side and the bearing seem to going in all the way but when you close the door it goes back torts the receiver, I even pulled the piece back that pushes the barrel and got the door to close but the bearing still did not come back out all the way.
:bang:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Check to see if there are any burrs in the bearing grooves.Measure your lengths,if it is a re-weld.The recoup fits between two predetermined holes-it cannot get longer if it bolts into the holes OK.Is the recoup clean? Lots of crud can get in there,and prevent the springs from compressing all the way.And by backwards,I mean just the very front piece,that has the tapered edge.It will fit either way,but only work one way.Make sure the tapered edge is to the front.Look in the stickies section for the low-down on the recouperator.Let us know how you make out! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
mp5pdw2001
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by mp5pdw2001 »

I just now figured it out the piece that holds the tube in the receiver was backwards and I turned it around and it works great now, I guess I will not have this problem with the next one. I am get ready to build a WWII reveiver next should have it Monday and do not want to make the same mistakes on this receiver as it is nice reciever from a vary early import demil. I am looking for a bipod for this WWII receiver so if someone has one for sale please let me know. :bnija: :wnana:

Ed
mp5pdw2001
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by mp5pdw2001 »

I for got Thanks For everyones help.

Ed
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

You would be surprised how often guys have the forward nut for the recoup backwards and go bonkers at the 11th hour wondering why that barrel will not fit.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864