MG08 Booster, what do I have

crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG08 Booster, what do I have

Post by crash520 »

Hi Team, yet another question, what do I have? the issue is the flange and threaded internal at rear,
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Re: MG08 Booster, what do I have

Post by IMBLITZVT »

You have a booster that someone has messed with. The rear flange area is not period. Looks like someone cut off the threaded back of the booster and did something odd with it. Maybe for blank fire? What do the insides look like?

I have some repro booster parts for sale if that might help.
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

more photo's, note the barrel sleeve is not threaded but has a B on it and like a compression ring inside??? again probably some home made crap piece.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Oh... now thats a different story maybe...

It looks like you have a MG08 booster with and adaptor. Without the adapter, will it screw into a MG08 Jacket?

If so maybe its just an adapter to allow it to be fitted to a Russian Maxim or Vickers???

Internal sleeve looks period.
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

The adaptor is what will screw into the front of an MG 08 or 08/15, the the booster screws into that, it has good aging and is very well machined, so who knows!
The barrel sleeve is not threaded inside and is not oversize so again! I'm note sure.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Hmm... that is odd...

The sleeve should not be threaded. I am not sure why it would be oversized?
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

crash520 wrote:The adaptor is what will screw into the front of an MG 08 or 08/15, the the booster screws into that, it has good aging and is very well machined, so who knows!
The barrel sleeve is not threaded inside and is not oversize so again! I'm note sure.
What you're calling a barrel sleeve is a piston. They are not normally threaded for the 08. Only the MG 08/15 sleeves are threaded. Your piston looks perfectly normal. The piston slips over the end of the 08 barrel and the small step acts as a stop. The spring loaded barrel pushes the piston forward, the gas pressure pushes it back. Its only loaded in one direction so there is no need for threading. The only oddity is the 2 piece rear section. It could have been adapted to fit something else and then had another adapter made to put it on the 08. My original thought is that it was adapted to fit a vickers. I don't have a vickers muzzle gland handy to get dimensions but its a thought.

Frank
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

Thanks to you both for your input, I have a Vickers but have not had a chance to check against it.

Sorry for the threaded piston confusion, the barrel on the 08 I have just acquired is threaded, i know the seller had two guns and I'm thinking the other booster was a re-pro and they may have been swapped to get me an original as the barrel on the 08 is threaded.

Crash
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

crash520 wrote:Thanks to you both for your input, I have a Vickers but have not had a chance to check against it.

Sorry for the threaded piston confusion, the barrel on the 08 I have just acquired is threaded, i know the seller had two guns and I'm thinking the other booster was a re-pro and they may have been swapped to get me an original as the barrel on the 08 is threaded.

Crash
Most 08 barrels you'll find are threaded now. That doesn't mean the piston should be. They never threaded the pistons because they fit the barrels whether they are threaded or not. If you look at your threaded barrel you will see that there is a step just behind the threads. That is what the piston indexes on and how it pushes the barrel back with its recoil assist. From the pictures you posted it appears that your booster is correct other than the mod done to the mounting end.

Frank
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

Thanks Frank,
ref the sleeve/piston, one end has a square edge the other has a radiused outer edge, do I put the radiused edge toward the rear of the gun when fitted to the barrel with the square edge facing forward to work better as a piston?
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

Look inside the piston. You will see a step inside. The larger diameter goes on the barrel first. The smaller diameter is the muzzle end. That step sits against the barrel just behind the threads. Normally the rear of the piston is rounded on the outside and the front is square. The piston is not normally removed from the booster except to clean things. The whole point of not threading the piston is so that the booster can be screwed on without fiddling with the piston. It just slips over the end of the barrel when you screw the booster on to the jacket. With the 08/15 the piston/sleeve is essentially part of the barrel so you don't need to worry lining it up or threading it on. In the 08 the piston is part of the booster and once again doesn't need any thought or effort to put it on.

Frank
crash520
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by crash520 »

Great stuff, thanks Frank