Found: 1909 MG08 Spandau and a 1916 sled mount

CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Found: 1909 MG08 Spandau and a 1916 sled mount

Post by CaptMax »

Scored a really nice sled mount and 1909 Spandau MG08 parts kit from a friend. I am going to have Dennis from Midwest Metals turn it into a functional semi for me this summer. I have been stripping the gold paint off the sled and uncovered some interesting markings that I hope to be able to research. Here are some pictures with more to follow soon.
CaptMax
CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Re: Found: 1909 MG08 Spandau and a 1916 sled mount

Post by CaptMax »

20 views and no comments? Is this forum still active or what?
I would have hoped someone would have had something to say or add to thee discussion. :(
CaptMax
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by messerschmittfan »

How is this Capt Max, that is a fine looking MG 08 and the sled mount is even better looking. I have a MG08/15 that I would like to make into a in between the wars version. Problem with all of the Maxims is that they are for young men as they are really too heavy for an old guy like me. I am thinking about getting a trailer to mount the mounts onto and just have to load the guns onto the mounts when I go to the range. Harry
CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by CaptMax »

Glad to see someone paying attention Harry, Thanks for the reply.
Yes you are correct that these are testing the strength of us older guys but it is always easy enough to find some young whipper snapper willing to move the stuff if you promise them a chance to shoot. What better way to get them introduced to the hobby. Hope your doing well Harry.
CaptMax
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by rodom »

Great find. The Maxim's have always interested me, given their history. Please post some pictures of the completed project. I didn't know Maxim's could be modified to semi only. Are there other Maxim owners out there with semi versions? Where are the pictures? Come on guys, tease us a little!
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by messerschmittfan »

Dennis at MidWestern Metals did my 1910 in semi Auto and it looks/shoots great. My 1908/15 uses a similar set up with the 1910 Lock and a trigger unit as used on the Vickers semi-auto. It also works great. I am getting ready to have major back surgery and these things are not user friendly to carry even if they are great to shoot. If you want to see some photographs send me a PM as I seem to be too dumb to post a photograph. Harry
CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by CaptMax »

rodom wrote:Great find. The Maxim's have always interested me, given their history. Please post some pictures of the completed project. I didn't know Maxim's could be modified to semi only. Are there other Maxim owners out there with semi versions? Where are the pictures? Come on guys, tease us a little!
Here is my 1910 Russian semi, works like a charm.
CaptMax
alpencorps
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by alpencorps »

so the MG 08 was transported at the Reichswehr
chart is dated 1933

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=13372
alpencorps
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by alpencorps »

so the MG 08 was transported at the Reichswehr
chart is dated 1933

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=13372
alpencorps
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by alpencorps »

here is mine,
converted to semi auto,
DWM 1917,
sled is dated 1915
Attachments
4 Oben.JPG
3 links oben 2.JPG
2 rechts 1.JPG
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

Wow, that's a nice 09 MG08 and sled mount! Too bad it's a kit, but glad to see you got one that nice! I'd love to have an early war gun and mount, but haven't seen any for sale in some time that i had the $$ to get due to family concerns, etc. Nice gun! I'd love to see pictures of it when you're done! :photos:

IF it works, I'll try to upload a pic of my MG08 out at a local machine gun shoot- DWM 1918 with a 1918 sled.... :D
cam_data-photo119.jpg
Attachments
cam_data-photo115.jpg
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Nice combination. I too look forward to the completed project.
Mark
Seeking all items, large or small, to the Imperial MG08, MG08/15 & T Gewehr.
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

DWM (8).jpg
Seeking all items, large or small, to the Imperial MG08, MG08/15 & T Gewehr.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

That is a fantastic 08 "CaptMax" :wnana:

Be sure to talk with Dennis about the process, he has not worked out all the bugs with the semiauto 08's/Type 24's YET, but he is very close. Last I knew he was still trying to get the best design for the trigger bar replacement since the 1910 bottom-protruding semi-trigger box would does interfere with the Sokolov mount but will not work in an 08 and properly sit in a sled mount, he is a first rate guy, the projects take time but it is quality well-thought-out work.

This will be a true historic masterpiece :D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by CaptMax »

www.Prussia.us wrote:That is a fantastic 08 "CaptMax" :wnana:

Be sure to talk with Dennis about the process, he has not worked out all the bugs with the semiauto 08's/Type 24's YET, but he is very close. Last I knew he was still trying to get the best design for the trigger bar replacement since the 1910 bottom-protruding semi-trigger box would does interfere with the Sokolov mount but will not work in an 08 and properly sit in a sled mount, he is a first rate guy, the projects take time but it is quality well-thought-out work.

This will be a true historic masterpiece :D
I did speak with Dennis in person about this just recently, he will be building these soon along with the 08/15's.
My sled mount is finally stripped of that gold paint and it came out quite well. It is dated 1916. I also picked up the reproduction AA mount and armor from my friend Walter at IMA. It took a little grinding on the armor to get it to fit properly but it works great now. I will post a picture of it all as soon as I get time. Hope to find the tongs and tools for the sled next. Would anyone happen to have any they want to sell?
CaptMax
CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by CaptMax »

Here is a recent picture of my sled mount, I'm almost done with it. The Mg08 that is mounted is a second parts kit that I just sold yesterday. Can hardly wait to get my Spandau gun back from Midwest Metals this fall.
CaptMax
Attachments
image.jpg
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

The sled looks really good after you got the gold paint off! Why gold paint by the way? Was this a gate guardian at a night club or something? :photos:
CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Semi auto MG08 Spandau and a 1916 sled mount

Post by CaptMax »

Well here it is guys, my semi-auto MG08 Spandau Maxim on the sled mount.
I still need to refinish the new side plate but it is functional and working again.
The water jacket still wears its original camouflage paint as does the sled now with it's hand painted III Machine Gun Corp markings. I have the sled tools, AA mount, spare barrel, armor shields, belts, 1905 steam chest, and a Zf12 optic for it now. Hope you enjoy the pictures.
CaptMax
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

There's nothing like the putt-putt-putt of a Maxim gun, and the WWI sleds beat the crap out of the later 1919A4 tripod. Are you going to polish this beast and reblue? A nice deep shine would really make your steamer gun grab some attention.

A little time with some oak and a lathe would sure make a nice set of grips, too. I'll bring you a couple pieces of air dried red oak to Knob Creek with me if you want. I get some nice red oak scraps to burn in my wood stove and could save a couple flawless (no knots) pieces for you.

And I spotted an interesting manual in the next to the last picture. :wnana:
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
CaptMax
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by CaptMax »

jbaum wrote:There's nothing like the putt-putt-putt of a Maxim gun, and the WWI sleds beat the crap out of the later 1919A4 tripod. Are you going to polish this beast and reblue? A nice deep shine would really make your steamer gun grab some attention.

A little time with some oak and a lathe would sure make a nice set of grips, too. I'll bring you a couple pieces of air dried red oak to Knob Creek with me if you want. I get some nice red oak scraps to burn in my wood stove and could save a couple flawless (no knots) pieces for you.

And I spotted an interesting manual in the next to the last picture. :wnana:
If you didn't mind I would take you up on that offer for some scrap red oak John.
I might be able to find a guy to turn some on a lathe for me. Thank-you.
I haven't really decided what to do on the finish yet, a nice bluing job would look great though.
CaptMax