MG15 80% Receivers

Hitman

MG15 80% Receivers

Post by Hitman »

Is there any interest in a new batch of Orin's (762x51) MG156 80% receivers.

These are top of the line for fit and finish and are alot closer to the 80% than the other one that is around.
These are also going to be alot closer jumping off point for a semi build.
These are also the basis of what he has submitted to the BATF.

There are 18 required for a run and so far I know there are commitments for 2.

I don't know how to post pics, but some of the photos on the other posts are shown with his receiver. If you want to look at pics you can go to his website.

http://www.autochart.com/groupbuys.htm
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

Although they look easier they aren't in reality. the interior needs to be bored out, with the feed and ejection ports cut it is more difficult to do. There is also a big difference in price. $150. versus $380.00
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Got one.

Hows are those semi mods coming Orin, I am sure you have heard back from the ATF by now? :?

Can not wait!
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Pirate wrote:Although they look easier they aren't in reality. the interior needs to be bored out, with the feed and ejection ports cut it is more difficult to do. There is also a big difference in price. $150. versus $380.00
My-my-my -

More difficult? There have been at least 10 post samples made from these receivers that I know of and the feedback that I have gotten is that the receivers were fairly easy to complete. Guess it all has to do with your machining abilities. :D

Regarding price, you get what you pay for - don't you?

With mine everything is completed except for the center bore, 2 small slots, and the semi-auto block. Compare this with your $150 "special" - Is the interrupted thread complete and timed properly, how about the barrel jacket threads? Can you seat the cam? Is the internal cam seat cut at the correct angle? Rear receiver locking notch cut? Barrel extension guide's machined? How about material? - Mine are 4140, don't know about the other one.

If you want to build a dummy display then the $150 "special" is all you need - If you plan on building a working MG15 then you may want to make a more careful analysis of what's being offered.
IMBLITZVT wrote:Got one.

Hows are those semi mods coming Orin, I am sure you have heard back from the ATF by now? :?

Can not wait!
ATF rejected 1st design - 2nd (with their suggestions included) is in build now. All parts are made, just need to fit them to MG15 kit parts.

FN-FAL receiver project is taking all of my time at the moment but I will be getting back on the MG15 project very soon. I have enlisted the aid of a guy that lives close by and has a very complete machine shop to assist me. We feel that it will only take one weekend to finish the build - problem is finding a free weekend!! The mods arn't all that difficult - They just need to be done!! :D

Regards,
Orin
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Can someone clarify where the other receiver is available from?

I am in no way demeaning anyones product.
I don't think anyone should critisize either product.

If anyone has one of each or if 2 of you can get together and compare them, please fill us in on the differences.

It would be helpful to clarify the differences in the 2, such as materials, completeness of maching, fit, etc.
I have read in a couple of places that Orins has interrupted threads that screws down completely, but the other one will screw down on only the 1st few threads. Again it would be helpful if someone would clarify why.

Orins appears to have more machining completed, but I would like some one to comment on that.

I just want to get my hands on something that requires the least amount of machining to get a semi built.
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

Hitman wrote:
I just want to get my hands on something that requires the least amount of machining to get a semi built.
8) Like the old saying goes...

"Speed is just a question of money. How fast can you afford to go?" ;)
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Orin,

Sounds good! I did not hear the bad news about the first try. Hopefully two times is a charm (not three)!

Looking forward to it!

I got an FAL... I vote for the MG15 first :)

Matt

P.S. even the $150 requires that a slot be cut in the receiver. I posted on Weaponeer about this very problem. You can not just plug and display :) Orin's is very nice... I do not regret spending the money at all!
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Orin

Do you foresee any problems with opening the bore with the slots being cut?

WHEN you get the approval on this next go round, are you going to make these 80%'s into semi-receivers or are you going to provide the info for us to do?
Same thing for the trigger & bolt assemblies?
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Hitman wrote:Do you foresee any problems with opening the bore with the slots being cut?
No - The procedure that was used by one Class III to make a post sample was to use a large drill to remove most of the metal then a boaring bar, at slow speed, for the final cut. He said he had no problems at all.
Hitman wrote:WHEN you get the approval on this next go round, are you going to make these 80%'s into semi-receivers or are you going to provide the info for us to do? Same thing for the trigger & bolt assemblies?
I will only provide incomplete receivers (AKA 80% receivers) because I do not have an FFL.
I will also supply all of the conversion parts along with drawings and instructions.

Regards,
Orin
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Hitman

Post by Hitman »

Orin

Thanks for the info.
That is going to be just the ticket for us WECSOG's GTS

I'm still in for 2.

Now we just need 16 more.

It seems like this shold be a fairly simple build after the machine work is completed.
On a scale compared to other builds (FAL, 1919, MG42) how would classify this one?
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

"I am in no way demeaning anyones product.
I don't think anyone should critisize either product."

I am not doing that either.

"If anyone has one of each or if 2 of you can get together and compare them, please fill us in on the differences."

I have Orins. Its as nice an 80% receiver as you can get. All hard stuff is done. About $400

There is another that was sold on Weaponeer.com what was called an 80% but was less. It had the basic outer shape but not any of the hard internals cut. It also did not have a cut so you could fit the magazine catch housing on correctly without making some cuts using a mill. If you are going for a display gun, its ok... if you are going for semi or post... no good. It was about $150. This is my thoughts on it and I posted them on weaponeer so please do not think I am just talking behind people back.

"such as materials,"
Both are steel I think? I know Orins is.

"completeness of maching" Orins is 80$, I would say the other is more like 50%

", fit, etc." Orins fits everything but the barrel and extension...which need to be drilled out. The other one needs lots of work but might work as a dummy gun.

"I have read in a couple of places that Orins has interrupted threads that screws down completely, but the other one will screw down on only the 1st few threads. Again it would be helpful if someone would clarify why."

I know Orins fits mine great... no idea on the other.

"Orins appears to have more machining completed, but I would like some one to comment on that."
I would say its the best 80% that you could hope for. Might still need some skilled work to finish, I am not sure...

"I just want to get my hands on something that requires the least amount of machining to get a semi built"
I would say hands down, even if the other was free, Orins.

Again, I have nothing against the other, I have no fight in this battle, just what I think...
auburnmg34

Post by auburnmg34 »

I have one of Orin's receivers it's very nice. Any competent machinist could finish it no problem.
gearlogo
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by gearlogo »

One 65 year old MG15 grip in one hand Orin's reciever in the other. Put two together turn and CLICK!. They fit like they were made for each other. Oh ok they were. Not dissing the other as that person has ALWAYS done right by me but Orin's are better than the originals.
bacl2000

Post by bacl2000 »

I have one of Orins and could not be happier, just waiting on the semi approval
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I would like in for 1,let me know how it works out.bil
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

http://www.autochart.com/mg15.htm

Watch here for updates on the next run.
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

UPDATE 12/25/2006

Now taking reservations for the next production run of these receivers. I need to have 20 firm
commitments before placing an order so please send me an email with the following information
and I will place you on the list.

Please send me your name, mailing address, day and evening phone numbers and quantity of receivers you want to reserve.

I will ask for funds when receivers are ready to ship which will be 6 to 8 weeks after I give the machine shop the order.

Email me at wa4tbr@bellsouth.net if you want to get on the waiting list for one

Regards,
Orin

See http://www.autochart.com/mg15.htm for more photos and info.