F/S forum

Just about anything goes but no MG42 or MG34 talk.
cipollinaj
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

F/S forum

Post by cipollinaj »

Hi Guys,

New to the site.
Why is there a 5 post minimum set for
entering the FOR SALE forum if you
are a buyer and not a seller.
I couild understand that you want to build
a reputable seller base and not have scam artists.
But if I'm the buyer and a price is agreed,
the seller doesn't have to mail 'til the
check clears. He is protected from a fraud.

If you still don't agree ...fine
now I have 1 post......4 more to go. :D

Thanks, John
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

John, If you search back there was a large post about this a while ago.

I still think its a Stupid rule! Like Scam-Artist can not post 5 B.S. messages in 3 mins... But the Mods seem to think its a good idea... :roll:

Last time they encouraged people to post some stuff about themselves to get their post count up.
cipollinaj
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by cipollinaj »

Jeeeez,

I can't think of anything to say.....thats sad.
Does the 1919A4 website have these same restrictions.
If not, cant the MG42 mods contact the mods at 1919A4
and see if they had a problem with the way they do it.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Yeah you hit a not-so-popular topic around here. I would suggest you let it go before you get banned (like I did, for a while). Did you notice I was the only one to respond? Its like :bang: but hey, at least your at 3 posts now!
cipollinaj
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by cipollinaj »

Darn,

I hope I'm not banned for giving an opinion.
I think some people like me are just readers and
like to keep a track of their hobby without giving written opinions.
What it has done is prevent me from buying my first kit
from one of the sellers on the site.
I think I paid dearly for my 3 cut 1943 MG42 kit from an outside source.
Everytime I saw one come up on this site I was locked out.
It really prevents the newbie from buying things from forum members.
Its like "catch 22". You cant buy things cause you are new,
and because you are new..........
You know what I mean.
Do you believe it IMBLITZVT
you got me up to "F O U R"
I hope they don't put me back to square one :cry:
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

cipollinaj wrote:I think I paid dearly for my 3 cut 1943 MG42 kit from an outside source.
It really prevents the newbie from buying things from forum members.
Its like "catch 22". You cant buy things cause you are new,
and because you are new..........
You know what I mean.
EXACTLY the point I brought up!!! :swear: Its a Catch 22. You are suppose to post before you have something to post about! The first thing people do when they come to a site is read and then buy OR ask questions about specific things to buy (which they can not see because they can not get onto the FS forum). Oh well, I better shut-up....I am not going down that path again... :roll:

Well if you respond to this post, you will have 5! You have at least shown a high level of reason and understanding... at least if you ask me. You are now certainly qualified to buy and sell to me! Good luck and hope your posts (and my posting rights) do not disappear!
CRA

Post by CRA »

It isnt a bad idea gets people to contribute, but the bs post's with no meaningful content is annoying.
MCP
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by MCP »

It's 5 posts until you start a new money pit... LOL Once you are really free to roam, the '42 or '34 will start to burn a hole in your pocket, much the same as the 1919.

Welcome!
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

The reasoning behind the 5-posts is to insure that the "FNG" (funny-new-guy) has had the chance/time to look around and get the "feel" for the Board and its members......... but more importantly, for those selling on the Board.

"Members" is a loose term.......some are here to exchange information and help others interested in the main-point (MG42 and the MG34)....others are here only to gather information......and a last group is here just to make $$$$$.

I kind of like the idea.....so that these new members get to know people prior to "jumping-in" and possibly less problems in the short-future..............but as in any Board.....the owner (Salt6) sets the rules.....but will listen to good ideas for his/our Board to make it run better.
If you have a better idea/plan....share it with the Group.

Regards, RichardS.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

Hey, don't make us out to be the gestapo here (I'm too nice for that). It's just a rule...it's not going to ruin your day or anybody elses. This makes folks post a bit in the hopes that they may get interested in the site and stay...not register and clutter up the membership list just so they can quickly peek at the F/S section. It happens more than you know. 8)
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Reichpapers wrote: This makes folks post a bit in the hopes that they may get interested in the site and stay...not register and clutter up the membership list just so they can quickly peek at the F/S section. It happens more than you know. 8)
No Thats exactly what it does... I was on for a while before that stupid 10 post rule, so then my first 10 posts (back when it was a 10 post rule) where all BS just so I could get on the FS board. I stuck around because I was able to get one of Dan's kits.... off the forsale forum! People become invested in the forum when they have something that relates to it. One can not add anything to an MG42 conversation when he has never even seen a parts kit. I have no problem with the rule for sellers but its stupid for buyers. I think it actually hurts your effort. Now someone comes here and say "boy that would be cool, let me get a kit!" and then he says "where can I get these and how much" BUT he has no place to find out....because he can not get on the FS forum. So he looks other places without results and quickly moves on. Yeah he never joined....but if he had, he may have stayed. PLUS it sucks for the sellers....everyone knows that the hardest thing about selling something if finding the right person to buy it. All this does is cut down the on the people viewing the ad. The only good part is keeping scammers off....but they can post 5 times in like 2 mins....so it does not even work for that. I know its Salt6's forum and he can do what he wants... I got no problem with that.

Oh and please let me know if I crossed the line this time before you ban me.... I will be happy to delete what I have written.... rather then coming back tomorrow and not having my password work! Just say the word, and I will erase it all.... or please go ahead and do it yourself... Just saying I would rather not be banned again.... I always feel like I am on thin Ice around here and that MG42 barrel is getting hot!
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

I think the 5 post rule was more to prevent scam artist from being able to join the board and then immediately post some BS message here.

If you think about the rule from that angle I think you'll agree that it's probably not a bad rule.

Regards,
Orin
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Orin, I have and I think a scam artist would be smart enough to make 5 somewhat halfass semi BS post across the range of forums in about 5 mins... Hell someone should test it some time.... make 5 semi-BS posts and then put up a fake Ad (ofcourse not take any money)... see if anyone catches it....I bet not. Maybe its just a different way of thinking but I honestly do not think it helps one bit! I would love to see someone do an honest test of the system and see how well it works...

I think it just gives a false sense of security...

As always,
respectfully,
IMBLITZVT

762x51 wrote:I think the 5 post rule was more to prevent scam artist from being able to join the board and then immediately post some BS message here.

If you think about the rule from that angle I think you'll agree that it's probably not a bad rule.

Regards,
Orin
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

I think you're obssessing over it a bit too much. It really isn't that important...and not worth taking up a crusade over. If Admin decides on a rule then there was a good reason for it. Trying to discredit the rule by citing various scenarios is pointless. Were you were emotionally scarred by this rule? If it causes you to loose sleep, draw disturbing pictures, or mumble in the corner..then seek therapy. Locked and moved to it's appropriate area.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

cipollinaj wrote: I hope I'm not banned for giving an opinion.
I think some people like me are just readers and
like to keep a track of their hobby without giving written opinions.
First NO ONE has ever been banned from this site yet, IMBLITZVT's password was probably lost in one of salt6's notorious "upgrades" and hes just being a drama queen or trying to get some "recognition" as the only banned/outlaw member.
forums need people who are posters a lot more than readers, this is one part of the rule. you want into the inner circle , then contribute in some small way to the forum. If you post gibberish just to get to 5 posts then thats the legacy you leave behind for us judge you .
when time comes and you NEED help, well I'm gonna look up your previous 5 posts , see you did nothing more than the minimum and react in kind by passing your 6th post bye.
another part is if someone posts 5 times real quick to be able to post in the for sale forum it SHOULD send up a BIG RED flag that they are not reputable individuals because there first act here was to skirt the rules for personal profit.
and lastly asking you to invest a small amount of time by posting 5 times is your chance to ask some questions and spend some time getting acquainted to make sure your not being "over charged" by a seller here.
cipollinaj wrote: What it has done is prevent me from buying my first kit
from one of the sellers on the site.
I think I paid dearly for my 3 cut 1943 MG42 kit from an outside source.

Good , it has the benefit of preventing someone who has not contributed from snatching a good buy from a member who has contributed.
Also how could you know , you would have bought a kit here, or that the prices here are any different than what you payed for the kit you have if your locked out of the F/S forum?
we have a kit for sale right now with an asking price of 1500 :dizzy: i hope you payed less for yours. I'd rather have you feel you were over-charged by someone not on this site because it makes my job easier not having to referee between members with grudges.

IMBLITZVT wrote:Now someone comes here and say "boy that would be cool, let me get a kit!" and then he says "where can I get these and how much" BUT he has no place to find out....because he can not get on the FS forum. So he looks other places without results and quickly moves on.

If hes stopped from pursuing his urge to buy a MG42 kit by his short attention span and inability to form 5 coherent posts then we've done him a great favor and that kit may go to someone who will actually invest the HUGE amount of time and labor absolutely required to make one of these firearms. These kits are not for the faint of heart or easily distracted.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
salt6
General
General
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by salt6 »

IMBLITZVT wrote:Orin, I have and I think a scam artist would be smart enough to make 5 somewhat halfass semi BS post across the range of forums in about 5 mins... Hell someone should test it some time.... make 5 semi-BS posts and then put up a fake Ad (ofcourse not take any money)... see if anyone catches it....I bet not. Maybe its just a different way of thinking but I honestly do not think it helps one bit! I would love to see someone do an honest test of the system and see how well it works...

I think it just gives a false sense of security...

As always,
respectfully,
IMBLITZVT

762x51 wrote:I think the 5 post rule was more to prevent scam artist from being able to join the board and then immediately post some BS message here.

Regards,
Orin

Actually some have tried and the adds have gone away. Also the mods will delete BS posts or let me know if they think there is a problem. I've seen too many times when some guy comes on a board and screws someone by posting a for sell ad and never delivering the goods. You will also notice ALL the adds have pictures or links to the item. Rather than go through the hassle of posting here most scammers will move on to easier territory. Also if you look in the Reviews forum you'll see links to dealers, (ie Dangola).

We did reduce the number of post from ten to five. So I did relax the requirement after input from the mods. Sorry, but the rule will stay.

salt6