Part 2 Interesting folks at store last few days NO TROLLS

Just about anything goes but no MG42 or MG34 talk.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Part 2 Interesting folks at store last few days NO TROLLS

Post by 42rocker »

Well a while back I posted the following

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9606

It happened again. Fellow walked in the store and was talking about some of the covers that he brought in. I took a guess and started counting some of the same type of books that he had in German. After a minute or two we were talking about his being from Munich... Well then it got real interesting... I asked if he was in the war? ( I thought that he might have been a teen at that time).. He stated that he was not in the military, but worked for messerschmitt... Ok, thats cool..
But it gets better... He was a test pilot for messerschmitt... Of course other folks walked in at that time... But we talked and he said that he flew the 106 which was a sporter 6 seater which became the 109 that we know of. Then he stated that he was a test pilot for the 163 which was the rocket plane before the 262 jet plane.... The last quick story that he told was of his last flight before the war ended... He said that he took the 262 jet plane up and was flying about 10,000 meters over the alps and looked out and saw a sea of bombers coming in his direction. USA bombers that is... He said that he radioed down and informed them, they stated they were not aware of the incoming yet. He stated that he turned around (test plane no guns on board) and was flying back to his field near Munich and got the radio message that the field now had confirmed the incoming bombers. Well he got his jet plane down and ran for the bomb shelters and got in for a 45 minute bombing run. He stated that when he got out the USA bombers had done a good job as the the jet that he flew in was destroyed with several others... His end of the war as he worked for Messerschmitt and not in the military was to get on a bike and pedel about 22 miles to his house and stay there till the end of the war.. He stated that he came over to the US about 40 years ago. WOW, I have his phone number and I think that I'll give him a call sometime and over a beer or 2 have a longer talk...

I don't make a lot of money but I get to met some real interesting folks... Anyone want to buy some German money or German Bonds???? Stamps with mg34 on them???? Anything?? NO TROLLS need ask....

Later 42rocker
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Re: Part 2 Interesting folks at store last few days NO TROLLS

Post by flemgunner »

Thats cool man. We had a lady come in today with a P08. She said that it belonged to her husbands father. He carried in WWII where he was a German soldier! I love seeing stuff like that come into the shop. Id be interested in some of the money stuff. What ya got?
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

Sorry...is the money and the bonds for sale from the old German guy?
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

You guys on the East coast get all the interesting people :mrgreen: I'd be REAL interested in the Marks and bonds :cheer: :cheer: :cross: (have a lagre amount of mint condition stamps already)

Bill :read:
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Ok, stocks and bonds and paper money and coins are NOT from this person... He sold me some gold foil stamped FDC's.. The person that was not German that came in after him sold me the bonds and 173 German notes.. And of course I have a lot of other groups and collections that I have bought and are for sale... But not going to list anything in this topic area, sorry I'll pm you or place something in the for sale area... Or pm me whatever just not under this topic, Thanks..
On this topic, was putting up some stuff on 1919 about the U505 sub moving into Chicago.. One of the clients was talking about how he watched them move it across Michagan Ave to get it from Lake Michagan where it sits now.

Later 42rocker
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

This is kinda of related
when i worked at the air force measuem --we had a fw 190 dora (the long nosed version) on display---one day an older guy wheels in --he had a motorized wheel chair---rode around for a bit--then asked me where the fw is---so i showed him and as we were approaching the aircraft-HE STARTED TO CRY--after a few minutes ---he told me that the fw we have on display is the exact same one he flew in wwii----how he knew that --i dont know, but to see a grown man tear up over a aircraft---he convinced me
just my .02
waffen
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Kinda like seeing my Dads B-17 for the first time......

Bill :read:
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

update part 2

Post by 42rocker »

Just a quick update on this, some things are too interesting to be true... Well one of my other clients just stopped in. He was in Special Forces etc. for many years and stationed in Germany and married a German woman from Augsburg... Well in talking to the 2 of them, of course they knew right where the messerschmitt field, plant etc. was.. He had stood guard duty at the field many times and she knew right where the plant was as that was her hometown... Another interesting note her father was a cook for one of the SS Armoured units. (Still working on getting more on that).. Well I'm tring to call the other party (the test pilot) and see if we can get everybody together for a long talk. My other client that was Special Forces (retired after 20 plus years) used to be able to walk into the small town German bars and sit down and play cards with the locals... (Note, thats hard to due).. He recalled the time that he walked in after a long day in his uniform and had a beer, WELL one of the Germans of course took note of the US uniform in a small German bar... Well the German went home and put his old Dress Uniform on and then walked in to have a beer or 2 or 3 whatever and talk... Remember displaying or wearing anything nazi at that was a BIG problem..... Well the local police forces just had to turn their heads and look somewhere else as he was the local town hero from the war with lots of decorations metals etc. My client said that they raised several glasses that day. My client had seen a lot of the areas around Vietnam, etc, also had the fruit salad on the chest to prove it..
Still working on this story.. So hope to add a lot more to it later..

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

About 10 years ago my uncle was in Bavaria.He goes to germany a lot.He was in a small town at an outdoor cafe.He heard music,and everyone turned.His host said it was the funeral procession of a local war hero,that had been in the SS.As you said,any reminder of the Nazi era is forbidden.The horse drawn hearse was a gun carriage,the flag was the older German flag,red,white and black.On the coffin was a black SS helmet.The other veterans in town were wearing their decorations and marching in the procession.My uncle got a picture,then his host asked him to stop.All the people along the route stopped and took off their hats in respect for their deceased townsman.The exception was the 2 village policemen,they removed their hats and turned away.They showed their respect yet didn't see anything illegal.All went with no fuss.It is nice to hear that there are still people that realise that these men served their country,they still deserved respect.
It will be interesting if you can get the group together. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Re: update part 2

Post by resting »

I served in Augsburg in the 60's. Got to meet Willi Messerschmitt one Saturday when we went to the Hassenbrau brewery to pick up beer in 55 liter wooden kegs for a Bn. party. He was on the loading dock when we arrived and I was introduced by one of our sergeants who was married to a local girl whose family knew him. He was the owner or at least a major shareholder of the brewery. The old Messerschmitt factory was then a German airbase.
42rock wrote:Just a quick update on this, some things are too interesting to be true... Well one of my other clients just stopped in. He was in Special Forces etc. for many years and stationed in Germany and married a German woman from Augsburg... Well in talking to the 2 of them, of course they knew right where the messerschmitt field, plant etc. was.. He had stood guard duty at the field many times and she knew right where the plant was as that was her hometown... Another interesting note her father was a cook for one of the SS Armoured units. (Still working on getting more on that).. Well I'm tring to call the other party (the test pilot) and see if we can get everybody together for a long talk. My other client that was Special Forces (retired after 20 plus years) used to be able to walk into the small town German bars and sit down and play cards with the locals... (Note, thats hard to due).. He recalled the time that he walked in after a long day in his uniform and had a beer, WELL one of the Germans of course took note of the US uniform in a small German bar... Well the German went home and put his old Dress Uniform on and then walked in to have a beer or 2 or 3 whatever and talk... Remember displaying or wearing anything nazi at that was a BIG problem..... Well the local police forces just had to turn their heads and look somewhere else as he was the local town hero from the war with lots of decorations metals etc. My client said that they raised several glasses that day. My client had seen a lot of the areas around Vietnam, etc, also had the fruit salad on the chest to prove it..
Still working on this story.. So hope to add a lot more to it later..

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Slightly off topic,found this in a hanger in Santa Paula a few weeks ago-the interior looks like the cockpit of the Messerschmitt.I think they used the parts lying around. ---bil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Cool Photo Bil

Later 42rocker