MG34 bipods

Anything MG34 related.
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

MG34 bipods

Post by mgfun »

I've seen a few different bipods and some other variations.

Is there a significant difference in value or desirability or functionality between them?

There also seems to be some variation in the amount and location on the markings.

Ones that I think are out there are

1) an old style without reinforcements on the outer edge
2) a typical later style with reinforcements
3) and I think I saw a late style called an ambush style that sloped back to let you lay prone and then pop up and fire.

My guess is that old style may have a certain slight edge due to the fewer numbers?
The late style too, maybe, is hard to find?

What is the true story though?

Regards,
mgfun
mgfun
Matt
Major
Major

Re: MG34 bipods

Post by Matt »

the early bipod is the MG13 bipod, then the first MG34 bipod had spring loaded head to keep it in line with the height adjusting screw, then the ribs were added on the legs for support then the height adjustment was dropped later in the war. the "ambush style use" is not the intended purpose of the cut in the head. It would have to be on backwards to allow that. its purpose is so that the gunner can lean forward and have the bipod at the right angle for shooting wihthou having to think about it. - matt
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I totally agree with Matt. Matter of fact I also have a MG-13 bi-pod that was a converted MG-34. A standered MG-34 bi-pod won't lock on the MG-13 correctly but a MG-13 bi-pod will work on a MG-34.
The thought of using the bi-pod of ambushes is kind of funny. The tripod does not like to be used this way and likes to slide. I have tried to use it for that use when I reenact. It takes some setting up and bracing the legs to make it work that way, and then it only works 50% of the time then.
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
mgfun
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by mgfun »

Well, thanks for the feedback. It's interesting how much mis-information is floating around. I know I need to get 'the book' to avoid all of this fumbling discussion.

Since nobody mentioned it, I guess all of these rank about the same for desirability. I guess I'll go with the assumption that a well marked pre-war one is nicer than the later ones when they were making them by the truckloads.

One thing though, all of the MG34 hardware is so beautiful compared to the functional, but simplifed later sheetmetal stuff (that still gets cool points), that the parts look like they should all be saved in a glass museum case.

It's a lost artform.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,
mgfun
mgfun