Is the lafette mount worth getting?

Anything MG34 related.
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Is the lafette mount worth getting?

Post by cbass »

Ever since I got my mg34 I've been really hung up on whether or not to get a lafette for it or not. The Army doesnt pay much so finding one for cheap is near impossible, and I cannot seem to find a 34 laffete or barrel clamp for a 34 (possible to convert a 42 lafette into a 34 by using original clamp). So Im stuck at deciding this, should I get a 42 lafette for my mg34? I use my mg34 for recreational and reenacting purpose (wouldnt use for reenacting since it wouldnt be correct to have a 34 on a 42 lafette). So is it worth the hassel and money?

regards,

cbass
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is the lafette mount worth getting?

Post by JBaum »

First, there's more to the difference between a 42 lafette and one for the 34. It isn't just the front clamp, it's the whole cradle with trigger. It's not a small project to change one over.

I have a 42 and MG3 lafette. The lafettes haven't been out of the basement in a long time, and now that I think about it, I don't think I ever shot from the 42 lafette. Bipod or offhand is so much more fun, I'd have to say I probably wouldn't buy them if I had it to do over.

Ask yourself if you actually will use it, or if you're just looking for something to spend money on. When my mother wanted a front porch added on to the house, my dad said "Tell me you'll sit there, and we'll build it." That was the end of that. It was just going to be a decoration. She was much happier later when they got a motorhome and went all over the country every summer. The motorhome was something they used.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
mggunner34
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by mggunner34 »

I wrestled with the same issue, after spending 20k on the gun itself I had a hard time finding a Lafette that was in good enough condition to justify the 3k+ that they seem to go for now not counting the optic. Instead I bought an mg3 Lafette from RTG parts here in phoenix, it doesnt have the search fire mechanism or the clamp for quick barrel changes but using the TNW adapter and modifying the trigger actuator on the tripod and now it works quite nicely. I am trying to find a machinist who can make me a new front part for the tripod so that replicates the function of the original on the '34 lafette for barrel changes, I haven't done anything other than think about it so far though. I love to shoot my '34 on the bipod or my AA tripod, hands on the weapon just feels cooler while shooting.
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

I think it all depends on what you want and where you live or shoot. I had a couple 42's and a yugo rebuild lafette. It was pretty neat to take it out in New Mexico and Colorado where we could shoot out to a mile or more. The search fire function was amazing at that range. On the other hand at the short ranges we have out here its hardly worth dragging the thing out. It works ok but you have to keep things tuned properly or you will have malfunctions with the gun. If the rollers and guides aren't properly adjusted it will either drag the gun down or absorb too much energy from the recoil to allow the gun to run. All in all its a neat unit but you have to decide for yourself if its worth it for you.

Frank
cbass
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by cbass »

Everyone,

Thanks for the quick replies, I did give it a serious thought and realized that were Im stationed at I cant shoot it at any long distances like I did back in AZ. With all the work neede to be done for it I would use it more as a collection piece and it would for the most part collect dust. In the long run im better off buying all the 8mm I still can get a hold of. As aswesome as it would be to own one im most likekly better off with out it.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Lets see money in the bank at what %??

Or buy something that seems to keep going up in value?? John what did you pay for yours and whats it worth now.

I know what I paid for my first one and now it's almost double in price. On the 2nd one it's a mountain lafette so slightly different matter if I sold it and it went well then might only clear about 50% return in less than a year.

And till then I'll enjoy the look and some time I might get to use them. Have to reweld a receiver first.

Enjoy Life.

Later 42rocker
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

I bought my Lafette for 800$ in 2005, wish I would have bought 10 of them, bought kits when they were 400$, and I thought I was getting into the game "late." Wish I would have bought a dozen of those for that price, should have bought the MP44's when IMA was giving them away.....it's a cool accessory, it was a lot cooler at 800$ though... Chris...
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I got my mg3 lafette for $300, new in wrap. I paid $500 for a hand selected MG42 lafette that has eagles on all the screws (which are blued), and nice original paint.

What it's worth now is anybody's guess. I also paid $600 for a nice all matching (including both magazines and the correct holster) Luger. That won't happen again now.

Like most people who started collecting years ago, I couldn't afford to buy today what I already own. My first 98k was $180. One that was all matching and with a bayonet was $250. I bought a G43 for $400, and the one with the scope was $1,500. It's all irrelevant now. The days of a $900 MG42 are gone - wish I'd have bought one for that price...
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

John
You have seen my lafette buying. Looking forward to talking to you at the creek about lafette's and other things.

Later 42rocker