What is your favorite film featuring MG 34's and 42's?

Anything MG34 related.
untenbeschuss

What is your favorite film featuring MG 34's and 42's?

Post by untenbeschuss »

In between Knob Creek shows, where there is an oppurtunity to see, hear, and shoot the German MG's, sometimes it's a good kickback time to put in an old movie. Yes, I know they are props, and what true carnage the real weapons caused, but, when wanting to see a bit of history acted out, rather than what often passes for entertainment or news these days ( or both at the same time, I miss Walther Cronkite ) on TV, I put in a DVD from time to time. what are your choices if you find yourself choosing a pre-recorded movie?

PS, if you didn't see any of the PBS series nazi Megaweapons, the episode on the Atlantic Wall was interesting, the episodes on the U-boat pens, and V-2 rockets were as well, but the re-enacting in the Atlantic Wall featured the MG's.
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Re: What is your favorite film featuring MG 34's and 42's?

Post by ChrisPCook »

Well, not a documentary, but Cross of Iron w/ Lee Marvin.....
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

A great question, as an objective historian, almost every movie from Hollywood has such an Ad hominem, repulsive, and retarded anti-German spin, which even many so-called documentaries on "The History Channel" and "The Military Channel" are guilty of, that I just prefer going right to BBC WW2 documentaries. If only the American media could fathom the concept that being objective does not equate to being pro-Nazi.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
untenbeschuss

Post by untenbeschuss »

Thanks Chris, I've not seen that one, and you're right Prussia, I often just turn the sound down, to tune out Hollywood, and look at the scenes and how they are set and photographed, I get my history from reading, not watching.
HKARAK
Feldwebel
Feldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by HKARAK »

Jumping in the documentary window, I recently came across "The War Zone" on Netflix. Several of the 19 episodes have some great shots of the 34 and 42. Also on NF, Secrets of the Dead: Deadliest Battle on invasion of the Soviet Union = good shots of the 34.

Saving Private Ryan for the 42s?
untenbeschuss

Post by untenbeschuss »

HKARAK wrote:Jumping in the documentary window, I recently came across "The War Zone" on Netflix. Several of the 19 episodes have some great shots of the 34 and 42. Also on NF, Secrets of the Dead: Deadliest Battle on invasion of the Soviet Union = good shots of the 34.

Saving Private Ryan for the 42s?
Thanks HKARAK, I don't have netflix, but willl have to see if I can get that elsewhere. MG 34/42 related, but on a different note, I was down at Knob Creek yesterday ( thanks J Baum for the manuals! ) and while surprised at the small crowd especially on a great weather day, it was fun to see the '34's and '42's running. Some friends that were with me would ask, how can you tell without looking? My response was, tone of the gun aside, listen to the cyclic rate, especially on the '42, they got it after watching and listening. I noticed to, Flem, formerly of Sons of Guns, now ArcadiaGunWorks, running an MG 42. All in all, these artifacts are great to see and hear in person, now that the war is long behind us...
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Try out this site's data base for movies with mg34 and more. Not listing my favorite just giving you a large list of films that used mg34's. You can also check out other weapons.

Later 42rocker

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/MG34
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Check this part out

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Escape_from_Sobibor

Later 42rocker
untenbeschuss

Post by untenbeschuss »

42rocker wrote:Try out this site's data base for movies with mg34 and more. Not listing my favorite just giving you a large list of films that used mg34's. You can also check out other weapons.

Later 42rocker

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/MG34
Thanks 42rocker, that database is a good reference, on the down side, now I have to get out the credit card, :)
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

James Coburn not Lee Marvin in Cross of Iron! Superb film that doesn't glorify war...

Die Brücke - the original German version of "The Bridge" is full of original weapons and gear... shot in 50s when it was still lying about....
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

Does aliens count?
always enjoy watching it, even more after learning those were 42's dressed up.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Always loved seeing the Storm Troopers in Star Wars using MG34's. Not forgetting to mention Han Solo's Broom Handle and MP44's, although I believe the MP44's to be resin copies or some such.

Tom.