Unusual Barrel

Anything MG34 related.
Craigster
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Unusual Barrel

Post by Craigster »

Going through a stack of stuff and found this barrel amongst a bunch of MG34 barrels.

As you can see it is almost identical to a standard MG34 barrel except for the locking shoulders for the trunnions.

The barrel is EXACTLY like all other MG34 barrels dimensionally except for the shoulders which are half the width and extend back further.

The barrel is German marked and I believe BSW coded.

Looking through references and an Internet search, it does not appear to be for an MG30, MG15, MG13, MG34/41, MG34S.....it MAY be MG17 or MG81, as I have not found a pic/documentary proof of those designs.........so what is it ????

MG34 on left for comparison

MG34 on bottom for comparison

Blanksguy
General
General

Re: Unusual Barrel

Post by Blanksguy »

Check it against the photos in "Folke's" book on the MG34 and MG42........it may be a 1st model (experimental) MG34 Barrels assembly.......or may be for one of the MGs shown in the first couple chapters of the same book...........$$$$$$

Regards, RichardS in Bay City, MI
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@charter.net
Craigster
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Re: Unusual Barrel - Mystery solved!!

Post by Craigster »

Well I finally got my hands on a copy of Folke's book. Turns out the barrel is for a Variation 2 MG34. They were produced in 1936a, serial numbers 301 to 2300 by BSW. Makes sense as mine has a BSW code followed by 36, serial number 334. It shows a picture of the same locking collar on page 63 of his book.

Here it is beside a normal (variation 3) barrel.

jonathanseverin
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Re: Unusual Barrel

Post by jonathanseverin »

Hello Craigster,
Could you please post some pictures of the barrel jacket markings?
Jonathan.