anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG34 variable rate receiver

Post by anjongni »

MG34 regler receiver2.jpg
MG34 regler receiver.jpg
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321257158724?ss ... 1438.l2649 For sale on Ebay. The back part at least is most of a genuine MG34 "variable rate" receiver. A little corroded, and a long way away, but you don't see them for sale often....Phil
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MG34 variable rate receiver

Post by JBaum »

Unfortunately, that receiver is not destroyed according to US ATFE regulations and can not be legally imported.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Hi John, I've always wondered about these. This one is very corroded, it's in Eastern Europe, and it's expensive! That said....
I know that "guns" must have their receivers de-milled by four torch-cuts that remove at least 1/4" of material. And now, barrels must be "ruined". And it appears that full-auto fire control parts are trashed. This produces an importable "parts kit".
In the case of something that's already less than a receiver, just a "part", does the torch rule still apply?
Could this fellow make a diagonal torch-cut on the forward inch of the receiver and comply? I've seen that some receivers, like Brens, aren't cut into "equal" pieces.
I guess these days good sense trumps all the rules. I just collect photos....Phil
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Each type of MG has to be cut in a specific place, at a specific angle. Having 3 cuts in one end and none in the other doesn't work. Certain exact pieces have to be cut, usually something that's difficult to reproduce.

How corroded it is matters little, it's whether it's capable of being made to fire. Corroded guns will usually still fire.

Fire control parts are not regulated nor restricted. Barrels for non-sporting guns are restricted from importation, but can be made in the US for any gun without a problem.

On my Links & DL page on my website, the first download at the top is the ATF book on US machinegun laws. It also shows how some receivers have to be cut to comply. It's a free download, and good reading.

http://www.germanmanuals.com/Links.html

John
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Page 153 is where the weapons cutting starts.

Thanks John for posting that. I have a hard copy of that. Everyone should try to read it. I think that everyone should include those LEO's that want to enforce their own home made laws on us. These laws are enough, Thank You very much.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

anjongni
At least we have some info on the serial number so we could try to use a rear piece that is close if we were to ever find a nice middle piece. Enjoy.

Later 42rocker
SilentBob
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by SilentBob »

Forgive my ignorance but how does one tell a variable rate receiver? My unit's serial number is within 20 of the one shown above though the "a" is stylized differently. The grip stick lacks the variable rate controls.
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Hi Bob...the easiest way to tell is that the v/r receivers have a hole bored and tapped on through the back where the buffer cams in, as the barrel plunger hole is bored end-to-end. You can just barely make it out in the photo with the serial number. There are also additional slots in the bottom of the receiver....Phil
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Look at the bottom.

Here is a pic of two MG34 receivers. Top is regular and bottom one is a variable rate of fire receiver. Sorry for the bad pic by it's only one on my hard drive.

Later 42rocker
reg and select.jpg
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

WOW just noticed that one sold for $862.50 plus shipping. Hope that the person that bought it does not live in the US or they might be going to have some major problems.
Of course if it gets into the country then rebuild and the person is not caught before the re-weld it's going to be interesting. How is the agent feeling today?

Later 42rocker
olli
Major
Major

Post by olli »

Just a pic of a reciver with and without regler-cutouts.
Attachments
261020091594.jpg
kevin917z
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by kevin917z »

are these receivers worth much? i have 2 2 cut recivers with matching bsw kits with milled top covers and the older style shrouds. my grips are rate reducing type with correct bakelite grips just no rate reducing parts in the grips
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Kevin, several of us here would certainly like to own a kit like yours, as they have all the most desirable features. Please send a PM if you decide to part with either of them! And post pictures if you will...Phil