timarmitage
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Telescopic sight system Wild/Carl Zeiss

Post by timarmitage »

Special features of Wild MG34 scope..docx
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
Included is a translation I have just finished work on which might be of interest and I hope comment. Tim R Armitage
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Telescopic sight system Wild/Carl Zeiss

Post by 42rocker »

Very interesting. First one like this that I have seen.

Later 42rocker
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Interesting, thanks for posting this.
Folke
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Folke »

Hi Tim, good to see you active and well. I am pleased to see that an example of this sight finally showed up. I have been aware of it for a long time and considered to include it in my first book. It is not intended for the MG34, but is rather, as you suggest, a more general machinegun sight to be used on any machinegun mount or on the gun itself. It was a "commercial" product from Zeiss that they could sell to other countries, something they could not do with the MG Zieleinrichtung for the MG34.

There is no reference to this sight in my book. The text at the bottom of page 243 deals with the use of MG08 optics for direct and indirect fire before sufficient quantities of MG Z sights could be manufactured.

Now that a real item has surfaced I would be happy to get a few pics of it for inclusion in a possible Volume 3, which now seems possible in a few years.
timarmitage
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by timarmitage »

Hi Folke
Yes still alive and well and still doing working at the British Library. Yes, please include photographs in Vol 3 when you work on it. Please note there is a Wild version of the sight also which is almost identical. Best wishes Tim R Armitage