80% Philadelphia Ordnance Receiver

Anything MG34 related.
dogman5
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

80% Philadelphia Ordnance Receiver

Post by dogman5 »

Hello, all. I have been trying to find the answer, but can't seem to find it. Does the Philadelphia Ordnance receiver have all the room for the parts of a real receiver, except the bolt? Do the parts on the receiver function as normal? Thanks,
Brian
salt6
General
General

Re: 80% Philadelphia Ordnance Receiver

Post by salt6 »

Short answer, no.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
dogman5
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by dogman5 »

What parts aren't there? I am looking for something that works better than the aluminum receiver I have right now.
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

The whole point of the dummy receiver is to keep ATF happy. Because of that none of the parts will fit inside and the grip fits on but won't function in any way. Its for appearance not use so keep that in mind. For that reason your aluminum receiver is probably just as good. You can buy paint that simulates bluing or parkerizing from KG Guncoat, Norrells MolyResin and some of the other companies.

Good luck

Frank
dogman5
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by dogman5 »

Does the charging handle and stock say in securely in the Philadelphia Ordnance? That is the problem I am having with my aluminum receiver. I use the gun for reenactments and when the public goes to handle the gun, the stock and charging handle fall out almost every time. Is the charging handle movable through the whole length of the receiver?
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Roscoeturner »

Post here, the owner of Philadelphia Ordnance is a regular posting on this forum -

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/ ... 16&act=idx

He will tell you just as others on here have, the parts will not fit inside his receiver.

dogman5 wrote:Does the charging handle and stock say in securely in the Philadelphia Ordnance? That is the problem I am having with my aluminum receiver. I use the gun for reenactments and when the public goes to handle the gun, the stock and charging handle fall out almost every time. Is the charging handle movable through the whole length of the receiver?
“Never speak in absolutes when speaking of history, you may be proved wrong with the next spade of dirt or turn of the page.”
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by messerschmittfan »

The stock and charging handle will fit and remain in the receiver, the charging handle has to be slightly modified or the receiver. The receiver is heavy. The rear of the receiver is throated with interrupter threads for the buffer and there is a place for the latch pin and retaining pin. Well made piece of metal. Harry
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Forgot to note that the retaining pin for the barrel jacket will not break off as in the aluminum copies. It is a steel plug without the interpreter threads but the jacket is secured to the receiver as on the original. Harry
dogman5
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by dogman5 »

Thank you. Now to find a used receiver.
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

I am getting to hate spell check. The post I made on the buffer retaining unit should have been threaded. The receiver is very well made. I have been looking at mine with the thought of cutting it in half and milling the interior out to the TNW semi-auto dimensions but even with a CNC mill it will be a lot of work. It does look nice on a MG 34 kit. Harry
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Funny how topics re-emerge, that is turning the Phil 80% into a working receiver. This was covered 8 years ago or so, and yes the broaching equipment and other tools would be more expensive then just buying the receiver parts at IMA (if they sold out, they still turn up on GB) and welding them together--legally.

However if you cannot weld, and ALL you want is a realistic dummy gun, then it is a nice receiver option.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864