Anything MG34 related.
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Blank Feed Issues

Post by Franz20 »

Greetings Gents!

I'm running into some issues trying to get my 34 to feed blanks properly.

I have the wonderful 2pcs barrel set up and spacers from Blanksguy. (Thank you again).

But after trying some advice I've yet to be successful.

So I made a Horrid video of my 34 trying to cycle blank rounds without a spacer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4NCmjR ... e=youtu.be

It fires live ammo with ease. But just getting the charging handle back is a pain in my arse.

Any suggestions (other than sell it) :D

Thank you!

Frank
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Blank Feed Issues

Post by Roscoeturner »

Is your 34 full auto or semi?
“Never speak in absolutes when speaking of history, you may be proved wrong with the next spade of dirt or turn of the page.”
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Franz20 »

Good question, poor posting on my part.

It is a Project Guns made, Semi-Auto Mg-34.
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Franz20 »

It appears to be feeding issues. I can't seem to pin point exactly why. If someone could take a look and throw me their two cents. I'd appreciate it!

Frank
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

I believe that P.G-34 uses the TNW system. On the TNW, it is necessary to just "drop", let go of, the charging handle, as in an AR15. It should chamber the blank as it does live ammo.
If you are using 8mm, you might want to try the wooden blanks. They are the same length as regular ammo and might chamber more readily.
A fellow on G/B was selling the 8mm wooden blanks very inexpensively.
Any friction that slows down, or prevents, the rapid closure of the bolt (sticky c/h) could cause it to snub the round mid-way, as in the video.
The charging sequence is unique to the semi-34. Hold back the bolt with a spacer, then lay in the belt with the first round next to the stop. Pull back the c/h until the spacer falls out, and let go of the c/h. I made the spacer from plastic if you'd like one, or the dimensions....Phil
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Hi Frank,
After watching the "video", it appears that the first Blank chambers, and is then ejected when you pull the charging-handle/bolt-assembly to the rear. This is all correct with an SA34.....no problems. The chambering issues later in the video appear to be from slowed chambering and/or another Blank in the chamber that was not picked up by the bolt's extractor (due to incomplete chambering by the slowed bolt going forward.).

You are going to have a few "challenges" when loading an SA34.....unless you have a hold-back-device, you will have to line up the first round to chamber. The "challenge" here is that as the bolt moves forward, the charging-handle-assembly will slow these parts down slightly (and is normal).

The issue of required hand-power when moving the parts to the rear in an SA34 is also normal due to the added spring-pressure of the semi-only firing-pin-spring and hammer-spring-pressure that has to be overcome. Here, you can take time to polish the operating-channel for the bolt, and at any contact points of the moving-parts to lessen this requirement.
Also, please check in the MG34-Section for references to "up-dates" to the SA34 to lessen these spring-pressures.

Last, when talking about "Blanks".........I would not use the wooden-tipped-8x57mm Blanks due to "long-term" availability at reenactments. I would tend to stay in the "mainstream" and use either the full-length PPU 8x57mm Blanks.......or attach the shorter feed-tray-spacer to your spare feed-tray and use the shorter 8x57mm Blanks made from re-sized 30/06 Blanks. That "spacer", once mounted, holds the front of the Blank down so that it does not stop/catch on the forward cutout of the feed-tray. I did that for years prior to the PPU Blanks becoming available. The re-sized 8x57mm Blanks made from 30/06 Brass should be available at almost all reenactments, and cheaper in price. ....or you could load-your-own Blanks.
Another option is to set-up and use 7.62x51mm/.308 Blanks.........(?).

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@outlook.com