Anything MG34 related.
jerseydamien
Gefreiter
Gefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Converting a 34 from full to semi auto.

Post by jerseydamien »

Hi,
Hoping someone can help. We are allowed to have mg's here that are converted from full to semi auto. I already own one that has been converted and it works as it should. I have another that is being held by a dealer because although the secondary trigger has been welded in place the gun is still rattling off more rounds that it should. I would dearly love to sort out the problem so I can get the gun into my possession and use it. The dealer is saying that I need to let him mess around with the gun making it single shot and hand cocking..... that is a step too far for sure and just makes the gun totally worthless in my view. (I am sure some will say making it semi from full is also crime, but thats what our law allows so that what I want it to be). I cannot understand why one gun happy function as a semi and the other won't. Does anyone have any ideas of what we could try to get it to work as required.
All the best,
D
haak48
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Re: Converting a 34 from full to semi auto.

Post by haak48 »

If the FA trigger bar is secured and preventing FA fire, the most common problem would be a worn sear or worn searing surface on the bolt carrier. A bad sear spring could also release the bolt prematurely but the main sear is the most likely culprit IMO. JH
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Haak48,
Damien lives on one of the British Isle.......where he tells us that he can own a semi-only SA34 (MG34 that only fires one bullet with each pull of the trigger)........but his LAW will not allow him to own a full-automatic MG34...

Damien,
Have you talked with Bob-Naess of Black-River-Militaria (?) He does a lot of work on these MG34s that are select-fire.....and there use to be one of our United-States that was full-auto allowed only (but not select fire) near him.

Also may want to ask Bob-Landies of Ohio Ordnance Works as he was doing a run of select-fire trigger-assemblies for the US M240 series..........possibly he has, or knows a way to modify an MG34 trigger-assembly to on be usable in semi-only (?).

If nothing else........try looking at (and thinking around the idea of welding off the area that the trigger-bar would move into for full-auto fire. This may allow you to use just the semi-only function (?)......just thoughts at this point.

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@outlook.com
PS: Still looking for MGZ40, MGZ34, and parts/accessories for same.....
haak48
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by haak48 »

The point that he is still getting FA fire with the blocked trigger bar, (which should not allow it), suggests the sear is not holding the bolt, causing FA fire to continue when the SA trigger is pulled. It is understood that he can only have SA. Some states in the USA will not allow selective fire machine guns; only FA. The fix for the MG34 is just the opposite in that case. JH
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

JH,
I stand correct.......I overlooked that is in posting.

Isn't there something to do with a disconnector/trip that must be hit by the bolt during forward movement (?)......that unless the disconnector is "tripped" that the gun remains in full-auto-mode (?). As this is happening intermittently, possibly either these parts are assembled incorrectly (?)...or missing a part (?).........or are worn.......or mismatched so that they work "somethines"(?).

I would think that because the MG34 trigger-system works where the rear of the trigger has to remain in the lowered position, that there should be some type of a "block" to not allow it to raise up in the rear......more of a semi-permanent modification.......but I do not know what Damien's Laws require. Last would be for him to take his other SA34 (semi-only MG34) to the person with his new gun, and observe the correct working of hi current gun vs. the parts/working of this new gun (?).

Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Another suggestion might be to make/replace the spring-loaded-release in the rear of trigger with a small-plate that would keep the trigger from moving to the rear more than the semi-only-"travel-distance" when either the upper or lower part of the trigger is pulled on.

Just a thought.
Regards, RichardS
US Army, Retired