Anyone seen an MG34 with barrel jacket stripped of fittings?

Anything MG34 related.
Sledge303

Anyone seen an MG34 with barrel jacket stripped of fittings?

Post by Sledge303 »

Has anyone ever seen an MG34 with the barrel jacket stripped of the front sight, AA sight mount and bi-pod channel? I was looking over a parts set and noted this. The finish is really worn and the jacket also seemed to have some re-inforcing rings in a couple of places. My feeling is that this gun was used in some sort of armoured vehicle or fortress mount. The finish wear makes me think "tanks". I served on US M60 A1's and A3's. Things on tanks get worn really fast! I am new to this interest in German universal MG's and haven't seen much stuff yet.
The parts set I was looking at (some weeks ago now) still had the rear sight and the buttstock seemed like any other (wood). I will have to look at it again if anyone knows what else I should check for.
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

It sounds like the tank version cooling jacket.I have one of those somewhere in my attic
Ed S
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Ed S »

MG34s used on fortress mounts had to have the front AA sight bracket removed.
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Sounds like the Tanker version which Ohio Ordnance Works was selling.
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

here is a link to the tanker jacket posted here. http://www.panzer46.net/mg42board/viewt ... highlight=
Sledge303

Post by Sledge303 »

I tried the link, but it seems dead now. The MG34 parts set I was looking at does have all the fittings removed, to include the AA sight bracket. It looks like some flat steel rings were added for strength? I thought the "Ohio Ordnance Tanker" MG34's didn't have a conventional buttstock. This set does have a wooden buttstock, but no bi-pod. I will have to go take another look at this to see the year and maker and maybe other details. Anything in particular I should be looking for?

OOPS, I tried the link again and this time it worked! Having looked at the image displayed I can say the barrel jacket I have observed doesn't match the one pictured. The one included with the parts set locally has cooling holes like a conventional MG34.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Try this link then. http://www.panzer46.net/mg42board/viewt ... highlight= It is a fortress mount. The ball obscures most of the jacket though. The tanker models had the butt, front sight and bipod in a seperate can. Their is a lpage here that I think Ryan Schnee put up showing the can and its contents.
Sledge303

Post by Sledge303 »

That is a very nice shot of the fortress mount. Devices like that must have consumed a lot of Germany's resources! Unfortunately you can see very little of the barrel jacket since the mount does a good job of enclosing it. I wonder why those had to be a right hand feed. OH, I guess that is what I need to check on that parts set. I'll try and have a look at the feed tray and top cover to see if it is a right hand feed. I am not sure if the shop owner is going to be at the "Cross Roads" show this weekend. If so I won't be able to check this out until next week.