Tank "ball" mounted MG34 - Anything different?

Anything MG34 related.
joshk98k

Tank "ball" mounted MG34 - Anything different?

Post by joshk98k »

Hi Guys,

Here's one for you. Was the there any difference in the tank "ball" mounted MG34 than the regular MG34? I would assume the tank ball mount was made to accept a regular MG34 but I am not sure.

Any help would be appreciated. If you could suggest a book, that would be great. Not one of my "Tank" books gives specifics.

Thanks Again,
Josh
Roscoeturner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Roscoeturner »

Pick up a copy of MG34-MG42 German Universal Machineguns by Folke Myrvang. He goes into great detail of the differences.
Ed S
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Ed S »

Most tank mounted mg34's were set up for right hand feed.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

tank mg 34

Post by Bil »

I'm looking in the myrvang book right now-pg 82-83-photos for comparison.Tank gun-TG-is same length as regular 34,receiver assembly looks the same-Barrel shroud totally differant-smooth,stepped down in size 2/3 out,smooth,without "air holes".Big dif---long oper slot on top,you can see the barrel! Also,dif attachment setup where the bi-pod usually hooks on in front.Front half of gun looks very differant.Would recomend book-I just got one for 70 new-used?.Any more questions,let me know.I dont know how to post pictures,though.---bil
Ed S
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: tank mg 34

Post by Ed S »

Bil wrote:I'm looking in the myrvang book right now-pg 82-83-photos for comparison.Tank gun-TG-is same length as regular 34,receiver assembly looks the same-Barrel shroud totally differant-smooth,stepped down in size 2/3 out,smooth,without "air holes".Big dif---long oper slot on top,you can see the barrel! Also,dif attachment setup where the bi-pod usually hooks on in front.Front half of gun looks very differant.Would recomend book-I just got one for 70 new-used?.Any more questions,let me know.I dont know how to post pictures,though.---bil
The Myrvang book has pics and describes the armoured barrel jacket. There is no bipod attachment, but in the book it shows the special accessories to convert it to a ground unit.
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

WOW! Thanks guys! I'll go on amazon or ebay and pick up that book ASAP!

And thanks for all the info!

:D
Josh
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

There are a few pics of the shroud and the bipod/front sight clamp for the ground mount. I believe the differences are in the shroud, right hand feed tray and different feed lever. Also, the muzzle is held on by a sheetmetal clip rather than the spring loaded arm.

http://www.panzer46.net/mg42board/viewtopic.php?t=117
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Basejumper

Post by Basejumper »

I have a tanker foreend that I got with my pre-may MG34. If anyone needs any additional detail, I can take and post photos upon request.
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

Thanks for the link Reichpapers. That was very cool stuff. OK, I guess I'll be on the lookout for an MG34T kit after Christmas!

Thanks again everyone for your help.

Josh
:mrgreen:
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

Ohio ORdnance may still have kits...just don't expect a ground kit, the muzzle retaining clip, or any other tanker parts except the shroud....everything else will be from a notmal kit.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Basejumper wrote:I have a tanker foreend that I got with my pre-may MG34. If anyone needs any additional detail, I can take and post photos upon request.
I could use a pic of the front of the shroud where the clip is. Mine is missing. I got extrememly lucky and got a kit with a matching shroud and reciever. Even my dumb a$$ gets lucky now and then.
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

I just spoke with Ohio Ordnance. They are out! I guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled! They did have an MP40 tube gun for $12,000 but since I am not rich.......

Josh
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

smoggle wrote:
Basejumper wrote:I have a tanker foreend that I got with my pre-may MG34. If anyone needs any additional detail, I can take and post photos upon request.
I could use a pic of the front of the shroud where the clip is. Mine is missing. I got extrememly lucky and got a kit with a matching shroud and reciever. Even my dumb a$$ gets lucky now and then.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

Thank you!
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

Got a pic of the entire barrel shroud???

Thanks,
Josh
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

The link that I posted above in one of my previous posts shows a complete pic of the shroud.
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

:oops: Doh! You are absolutly right! Sorry 'bout that!

Merry Christmas!

Josh