I need help choosing MG34

Anything MG34 related.
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

I need help choosing MG34

Post by longhorn109 »

Could any of you nice people help me. I am going to buy an MG34 in a few weeks and I have a

choice out of 100 that are being imported from Russia. :D They are all in very good condition

and the price will depend on markings present (from $1100 to $1300). Is there a particular

manufacturer I should ask for or should I just ask for a good one that's not been mucked about

with and has good markings on it. These are in the UK from Ryton arms, before anyone gets

excited! I will post pics when I get it in about 4-5 weeks.

Thanks
Ed S
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Ed S »

In my opinion, if you have a choice:

1) look for an original, nonrefinished gun

2) if they are all refinished or all original, look for an early coded gun, such as BSW. BSW is the only manuf code in which the letters actually stand for the factory name and are not just a random letter code. The most common code found here today is DOT. Look for BSW, AR, BNZ, s/243 or some other early code

3) look for a milled top cover and 4-hole barrel jacket.
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

will do. thanks for the help
Wondering
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by Wondering »

If you have not done so already, buy a copy of Myrvang's book called German Universal Machine Guns. There is good coverage of the different manufacturers and the dates of production. You will at least know who the manufacturers are.
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

Hi Wondering.

Its funny you should mention that as I am watching one on e-ban. If I win it I should have it before the guns arrive.
MCP
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by MCP »

If you can find a bnz get that one, they were only made in 1941. The company switched to MG-42 production for the rest of the war years.
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

Thanks for the help guys. I won the book and should have it in a week or so. Then I will know what I am talking about and wont sound like a n00b.