Removing shroud hinge pin

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Abominog
Major
Major

Removing shroud hinge pin

Post by Abominog »

I'm talking about the big pin on the front of the receiver onto which the barrel shroud mounts and rotates.

How does one remove that pin from a chunk of receiver? I can't see where it's pinned in, I suspect it's compression fit, is it also welded?

Any ideas on removal?
FNG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Removing shroud hinge pin

Post by JBaum »

It's threaded into the receiver, but I don't know of anyone who ever removed it.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Thanks John.

I suppose it could be cut out/ split out or machined out.

Does anybody know where these can be procured?
FNG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

None of my business, by why would you want to remove one?

Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

If one had a semi receiver w/o the pin, one has to source the pin and install. Or machine a new one.
FNG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Ewww, making one would be very difficult. The threads have to be indexed perfectly or the barrel jacket will have a very bad fit.

I'd find a front section of the rear receiver, and heat it with a torch until the post unscrews. The receiver chunk will likely need to be glowing before the post comes out. Take care not to get the post too hot, so that it doesn't twist and screw up the thread indexing. Maybe heat the receiver chunk and cool the post in water before attempting removal.

anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

If it's an MG34 receiver we're discussing, I believe that the pin is machined offset out of the same metal block as the rest of the receiver. It doesn't remove.
A machine shop can turn down the pin from your receiver lump...then you set it into the counterbore in your new receiver and weld it. That's how TNW does (did) it. They used to sell them.
Bob at Philadelphia Ordnance (makes) made MG34 receivers and sold (separately) the pins at one time. He may have some, or be able to salvage yours. Their later receivers have the pin/cam assembly bolted on.
The newly made ones typically aren't "threaded" where the shroud pivots on....Phil.
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Thanks for that. So there are two vastly differing opinions on how it is attached.

We were looking at a cut front end last night and it sure as heck looks like it's all machined from one piece.
FNG