34 barrel wont fit

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
geladen

34 barrel wont fit

Post by geladen »

i tried my new barrel in the jacket and it stops about 2" before seating. DOT shroud, german barrel both in good shape. my other barrel fits perfectly. where there variations in the manufaturing process that would cause this. i was planning on cleaning up the lip and collar where it seems to be stopping. is this the appropriate correction?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: 34 barrel wont fit

Post by JBaum »

I'd think it would be wise to do some measuring at critical points to see what the difference is, and then make the corrections accordingly. :shock:
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
geladen

Post by geladen »

sounds good, the barrel looks as thought it has never been used but there are a few small dings around the area that is catching. ill clean thoes up and see what happens.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Let me ask the very silly question.....did you rotate the bbl as you put it in the shroud? You need to let it drop into place. I just say this because if you dont let it fall into place, it sticks about 2 inches out.......
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
geladen

Post by geladen »

i did quite a bit of twisting and wiggling and pushing... from what height should i let it drop... :lol: :lol: dam thing. id try again but my transit chest is temporaraly my tv stand and the barrel is in the chest. it actually looks cool. :D
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

You don't let it "drop" into place....this will put dents on the inside-rear of the barrel-jacket and may just keep the barrel-assembly out far enough to make rotation of the jacket-assembly hard..........also, the "Gunner" would slide the barrel in from the rear during barrel-changes .....correct (?).

If the barrel will not fit, measure the piston area and find out why. Carbon-buildup (?)......bent-barrel-jacket or is the barrel-warped/bent slightly (?)......trying to install and MG34/41 (MG34S) barrel-Assembly which is larger in diameter on both ends (?)........nicks or other binding areas on the barrel-jacket and/or barrel-assembly (?)........dented barrel-bearing (?)........any of the rivets or Bipod-Mounting-Pin on the barrel-jacket loose and protruding into the inside area (?)........does another barrel-assembly fit (?). You have quite a few items to check so let us know what you find.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net