TNW stiff trigger fix?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Skippy

TNW stiff trigger fix?

Post by Skippy »

Hi gues, this is my first post on this site.

I recently picked up a TNW semi-only '34. I live in Canada though, so I'm having a lot of trouble getting one of the TNW trigger fix kits shipped up here.

Can anyone walk me through the process by which the TNW trigger can be loosened up so I can pull it with one finger everytime?

Thanks in advance, I promise to reward your help with a coupel of sweet range videos...
ajmdreammg42
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Re: TNW stiff trigger fix?

Post by ajmdreammg42 »

Did you ever get a responce from anyone ? I am having the same problem
Panzercanuck

Post by Panzercanuck »

Is this an epidemic with most TNW MG-34's? Do you guys have other problems such as jams misfeeds etc..?

Panzercanuck
ajmdreammg42
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by ajmdreammg42 »

Mine is a receiver kit I'm building and I am working out all the bugs now, I am ready to test fire again but I got a horriable trigger pull and would like to find out on how to loosen it , what is this trigger kit he is talking about ?
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

The horrible trigger pull is inherent with the TNW kit. That big, coiled, sear spring is to blame. Use two fingers and get used to it. It sucks, but there is really no way around it.....
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
Panzercanuck

Post by Panzercanuck »

Scottd, :wnana:
Can't the TNW 34 sear spring be replaced by a lighter tensioned spring without causing the 34 problems.Does anybody have a layout of the TNW MG-34 receiver on paper.I'm quite sure it's totally different from that of the FA variant.Any sketches or photos would be appreciated.Thanks for the help.

Panzercanuck
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Yeah Im having a hell of a time figuring out how to assemble mine (or at least what Im doing wrong), pix would rock
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

I agree with ScottD,

TNW is fortunate that the Mg34 is such a beautiful and historic weapon that we are willing to put up with the trigger pull.

Like dating a hot chick with some shortcomings, you just deal, but if not for her appearance-you would never put up with it. :lol:
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

Panzercanuck wrote:Scottd, :wnana:
Can't the TNW 34 sear spring be replaced by a lighter tensioned spring without causing the 34 problems.Does anybody have a layout of the TNW MG-34 receiver on paper.I'm quite sure it's totally different from that of the FA variant.Any sketches or photos would be appreciated.Thanks for the help.

Panzercanuck
In some way it is not so different, yes, you do have the semiauto mods (as depicted in Pirates thread/projectguns.com), but that doesn't affect anything but preventing FA bolts and FCG components from going in. Dimensions for length are the same. The one thing not shown in the projectguns tutorial or elsewhere as far as I know is the small plate that needs to be welded in above the TNW trigger gate area (where the safety selector goes through). You need to have a plate (it can/will be thin) welded into position for the spring in the trigger gate to pivot off of up inside the receiver. I don't have the exact dimensions in front of me right now, but it is roughly .20 deeper than the small horizontal brace that exists in the Trigger/FCG area on an original receiver. It is deeper to accommodate the depth of the TNW trigger arm/gate. The critical dimension is from the front of the receiver to the center of the hole for the safety lever, that sets the distance for the "half moon" on the trigger gate to properly make contact with the sear trip lever. If it is too long then you'll need to buy one of my extended trip sears for the bolt-ask me how that project came about... :lol: My caliper is out of calibration, but perhaps someone can post that for the forum....

If you have the option of welding a receiver w/o a center cut you're better. If you have a long center section (like the current IMA's) that is the way to go, if you have to "reweld" right in the center you have an increased chance of warping and fitting the bolt. A hair off at the center will translate to a lot off by the time you reach the front or rear of the receiver. Bolt will bind...
It is also a lot easier to clean up welds more towards the end than in the center, just easier to reach with a file/dremel, etc.

Chris...
Panzercanuck

Post by Panzercanuck »

I forgot to mention properly this TNW MG-34 is already assembled it's not a parts kit.The TNW I am getting was put together by them not by myself.The cost price runs in the $4000 range.The info I need is for the already assembled TNW MG-34's .Still thanks for the info.

Panzercanuck
ajmdreammg42
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by ajmdreammg42 »

ChrisPCook, please can you post a pic of this plate that needs to be welded in ? As soon as I can order a brp mg34 bolt tune up kit I will be ready to test fire again, and would like to this gun to run flawless.
merc15
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by merc15 »

I had the same problem, and replaced the TNW spring with an orig 34 firing pin spring. It lightened it up a lot, but it may not fire some surplus rounds due to them having a harder primer? If I had some rounds that did not fire, I put them back on a belt, and they all fired the second go around? Doug