An idea on how to weld up the APEX fronts

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

An idea on how to weld up the APEX fronts

Post by ChrisPCook »

Still experimenting, but you'll get the idea, I'm going to weld this one up into a dummy receiver, so I'm just going to use 1/2" (I think that was the size) steel bar placed in the channels to keep things straight, I'll clamp them in place prior to welding to prevent movement. I took a 1 1/2 inch copper fitting I bought at home depot and cut a slice in it as it was just a tad to big. I beveled the edge that laps over the "top" when "compressed to fit nicely in the cut cams area. I used a hose clamp to hold it all together, the only problem is that with it real tight it torques it slightly off at an angle. I don't have any brass rod at the moment, but that or a solid copper rod placed in the recuperator channel should alleviate that. I also thought about making up a "wedge" of some sort to place in the lower ejection port area to keep the two pieces from shifting any when the hose clamp is tightened down. I'll update when this idea is further along, but the copper backing works great. Chris....
Attachments
P1030735.JPG
P1030733.JPG
P1030731.JPG
P1030729.JPG
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: An idea on how to weld up the APEX fronts

Post by Bil »

That looks good,for a receiver being made into a dummy and in smaller pieces,I would suggest uning a steel plate,it gives stability in more directions and looks clean under the topcover.Nice job with that mess on the front,keep us updated. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Chris,

If you can mastermind a way to make these mutilated fronts viable as useable receivers (I know this experimental one is a dummy but if it works...) you will make a lot of guys very happy. 8)
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Wow.. Looking good Chris..
Please keep posting pics as I'm hopeing to redo one also..

Later 42rocker