Thinking of starting a semi MG34 build

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Thinking of starting a semi MG34 build

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Need some help on the length of the MG34 receiver,does anyone have the measurments?? All the links I have found will not bring up the pictures :? :bang:

Thanks,

Bill :read:
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Re: Thinking of starting a semi MG34 build

Post by 762x51 »

Here you go - I think you'll find all you need here....

Orin

Here is a link to a larger, more readable version:

http://www.autochart.com/MG34/MG34RecBasicDim.jpg

"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

THANKS Orin :thanks: This will help a lot! :bnija: Now comes the hard part :shock:

Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Here's the hard part...I have 2 receivers and am hopeing to make one usable semi out of them. Question is can I cut them diagonally and make a weld that will be strong enough to hold ? the first photo shows where I would be cutting if this is feasable. :wow: Second photo shows why I would prefer to use the lower receiver,I think there would be better chances of a usable outcome. :cross: Any help would be GREATLY appreciated :thanks:

100_13291a.jpg
Attachments
100_13281a.jpg
fourfifths1911

Post by fourfifths1911 »

is the bottom rec in the bottom pic from brp??
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Another question... On the mg42 reweld's for Semi Auto the first thing that we talk about doing is to cut out grip area and weld in full auto bolt blocker. What do we need to do to make this a legal reweld for a semi auto????

:ot: yes off topic but I think we need to talk about it when we talk about rewelding a full auto receiver.

Thanks

Later 42rocker
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

That is an excellent point about the semi-mods. I am sure most know this, but just so everyone is clear:
http://www.projectguns.com/mg342.html

The above is an excellent tutorial posted by “Pirate” detailing these modifications.

You have to fill the channel in underneath the grip, explained very well here:
http://www.projectguns.com/mg34rec4.html
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
DougF

Post by DougF »

Sd,

I've never rewelded an MG34 so take my advice for what it's worth. However, like you, I also have some MG34 receivers that I'm also hoping to weld back together so I have given it some thought. If you look at Pirate's tutorial for the Bren reweld, his joints were cut on a diagonal so I don't think it will be a problem strengthwise. I'm guessing you don't want to use the top receiver in the picture so that you don't have to worry about setting the length but I think the bottom one will be harder to weld. You'll have to bevel the joints in order to get penetration and that boss for the back of the grip will make beveling difficult. However, I guess you could grind part of the boss out and then build it back up with a series of beads and then grind them flat again.

Good luck with it.
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

42rocker...Belive me I have NO plans to weld this thing up BEFORE I make the semi mods. I just wanted to know, before I got too deep in the mods, if the cuts I was considering were feasable, didn't want to go thru all the trouble and end up with a pile of junk that might come apart the first time I pulled the trigger!! :puk: :swear: Thanks for your consern tho.. :thumbs: Thanks for the links prussia...already have them on favorites :D ...fourfifths, yes it is a BRP.

Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Dougf, Thanks for the info :thumbs: ...Haven't seen that build yet,will look for it. I will have a little more room than the photos show(sorry, old camera) and I figure with a good bevel I can get enough peneration...Have started modifing the bolt today.Looking to start the receiver mods over Christmas. Really looking forward to giving this a try!!! :jump:

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Sd.kfz.173
Good Luck with that reweld project. I posted that about the semi mods because I was also interested in what I need to do before I start to reweld... I forgot about the pirate tutorial.....
Well

MERRY CHRISTMAS and I hope that you get lots done over the Holidays and that you post a few pictures on the reweld and semi mods for us to view..

Thanks
Later 42rocker
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

42rock,

As soon as I get the bolt rework done (almost there!! :cross: ) I am going to clean up the center section and start the receiver mods and work out from there.Just have to make myself slow down,don't want to FUBAR this !! :shock: Will post pics as soon as I get a little farther along. :thumbs:

Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

I have what could be a rather odd (or ignorant) question :roll: ; I was setting things up to start the semi mods on the receriver,and noticed the receivers are VERY different in the area of the FCG mounting and the recuperator opening.

Looking at the receiver at the top of the photos,there is an area that has been milled out from the rear mounting of the FCG to the safety lever. The recuperator opening runs the entire length of the receiver,with a section milled out in the cam section.

I went to BRP's site and there is a receiver with the same modifications. He refers to it as an adjustable fire rate receiver. My question is if I should cut this up for my semi mods,or find another one to use? From the description,these are sorta rare, and I don't want to destroy a piece like this if it is one of a few remaining. :shock:

Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Sorry..photo's didn't load last message :roll:

100_1340a1.jpg

Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Here's the cam section......
Attachments
100_1345.jpg
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

And the rear of the center section....
Attachments
100_1343.jpg
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Any info on this would be GREATLY appreciated!! :thanks:

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I would have to dig out my receiver pieces to look[tonight] but the grip for the regulater shows up now and then-they must have made quite a few and then either took out the [clockwork] or didn't install it,and used them as regular grips.I have a bare one in my collection,thanks to a generous fellow member. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert