My MG34

Post your pics and vids here.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Damien-I have seen that picture before,and it makes me smile,too! Are they all diferant,as in makes,models,years?Or do you have duplicates?This is only part of a very nice collection.How long has it taken you to amass such a hoard? :D ---bil
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Ok Damien. It was nice knowing you, but we regret to inform you that we are forcing you into retirement!

You see guys, what you did not know is that Damien actually owns the Channel Islands. He likes to bring some of the stuff (rifle racks, mounts) from the bunkers the Nazi's build on his islands, to his mansion.

What a beautiful collection! Could you have the largest private collection of Mg34's in the world? I am not getting hyped by the photo; its just that I cannot imagine anyone else wanting that many (wait, I take that back :D ).
Damien Horn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Damien Horn »

Hi Bil,
I have been collecting now for the best part of 36 years from the age of 7. Mg's only came into my life in around 1990, as before that here they were not around. But the bulk of them along with sights and tripods etc have been acquired in the last 5 years. I have bought up my collections and taken in a lot of kit in an effort to get some of the nicer items. For some strange reason I always put aside the 34's and 42's and then one day there's a small pile of them sitting there. They are all different years makers etc, 99% all matching numbers and some nice mint examples from the Portuguese contract. Some collectors may turn their nose up at theses examples but don't forget without that little hoard of kit none of us would have the armourers kits and "A" and "E" kits and the such like as came from there.
All this kit now seems to have dried up, with only a few 34 and 42's coming out of Russia. But so far nothing in the way of accessories has come from Russia. Common sense dictates that if you have stored all these guns then you must have the kit to back it up. At the very least the ammo. So far nothing has appeared.
In some respects I would prefer it did'nt as then those of us who have the kit already will see a drop in the value of our collections and the once rarer items being everywhere again. But on the other hand what if they have tons of bits and pieces we have never been able to get our hands onto as yet.
I have always hoarded the kit when it was around consequently I have loads of ammo boxes with the belts and tabs, drum mags in the carriers etc all waiting for the day when someone wants to do and exchange or purchase.
At times I have wondered about the wiseness of collecting such amounts, especially when guns are looked at by the majority as what bad people have. I am sure there will be noises in the US after the latest shooting at the University. Here in Jersey which is a small Island of 80,000 people we have only 1100 or so firearm certificate holders who between us have somewhere approaching 16,000 guns. We know we are on a tightrope, as our laws vary from the mainland UK, in that we can hold pistols and semi auto's here. And our Island Government don't like it and like everything else want to bring us into line with the UK. Recently they even started to question collectors over the amount of de-ac MG's that they had, again this was becuse England were looking to ban them. Lets hope they leave well alone, but we know here that if the de-ac's go then the working ones will not be far behind. I hold around 90 working guns and 40 to 50 de-ac's and in our law there is no provision for compensation if they decide to ban them......that means good by to my pension fund
Hope this has not bored you too much but I guess I neede to get that out of my system.
D.
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

Damien - that photo of your collection made me splurge my tea over my keyboard!! Fifteen MG34s!!!

Sure puts Longhorn and myself into the 'small-fry' category of UK collectors!! :D :D

And as always, a reasoned argument for doing things right...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
mr. wipple

Post by mr. wipple »

Damien that is one hell of a collection :shock: . If you run out of room storing them let me know and I would gladly free up some space in my gun room for them . I would promise to treat them just like my own :-P .
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

These are only his 34s,the rest of the collection cannot be seen at once without sensory overload-he is a premiem collector,I have never seen as much stuff even in a museum.Very nice,indeed. ---bil
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

All Damien needs is a smoking jacket to wear in the picture. He would look like Hugh Hefner at the Playboy mansion with his harem.
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Damien Horn wrote:Hi Bil,
At times I have wondered about the wiseness of collecting such amounts, especially when guns are looked at by the majority as what bad people have. I am sure there will be noises in the US after the latest shooting at the University. Here in Jersey which is a small Island of 80,000 people we have only 1100 or so firearm certificate holders who between us have somewhere approaching 16,000 guns. We know we are on a tightrope, as our laws vary from the mainland UK, in that we can hold pistols and semi auto's here. And our Island Government don't like it and like everything else want to bring us into line with the UK. Recently they even started to question collectors over the amount of de-ac MG's that they had, again this was becuse England were looking to ban them. Lets hope they leave well alone, but we know here that if the de-ac's go then the working ones will not be far behind. I hold around 90 working guns and 40 to 50 de-ac's and in our law there is no provision for compensation if they decide to ban them......that means good by to my pension fund
Hope this has not bored you too much but I guess I neede to get that out of my system.
D.
Damien--

Meant to ask you when you first posted this -- does the UK or the islands have any gun-rights organizations equivilent to our National Rifle Association? You can be sure that the governments will never sit still on any firearms-ownership issues as long as there is no signifigant political opposition to further intrusion. ALL governments invariably expand their reach incessantly as long as they encounter no opposition. I fear that keeping your head low will only result in CERTAIN confiscation eventually. What is the situation there?

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson