DT34

Post your pics and vids here.
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

DT34

Post by mp44dude »

I was able to purchase 3 (yes, the number is correct!) DT34s. Are there any other owners out there? I need some help with maintenance and repair. Thanx
in advance.

greg
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Re: DT34

Post by gdmoore28 »

How 'bout some pics?

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

[(O)]
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by mp44dude »

Gents,

Photos will be coming shortly. I have to get a bunch of "other" stuff unpacked first.

greg
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

I have got one that is operational. The DT34 is easily recognized from the DT15. It is also very easy to adjust if you have the original tool, but I haven't seen the correct procedure, so it is a matter of try & fail. Would love to see some pictures of yours!
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Ok Ill say it, what the hell is a DT34?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

DT34 = Double Drum for the MG34.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

To shed some more light; here is a picture of the cover, adjusting tool and drum.
Attachments
DSC03577.JPG
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

3?? Three??? :jaw: I can't even imagine!!! How? Where? Did you meet someone on a misty night, on a bridge in Budapest or something??? Wow!!! There has got to be a story here!! Come on man! Spill it! :beer:
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

For the person who was asking, the DT34 is the 75rd double drum magazine which was originally issued with the MG34. They are very very rare, as they were an early accessory, and most were apparently destroyed during the war. They are somewhat similar to the much more common drum for the MG15, the DT15, but not exactly the same. The MG15 only fed from the drums, it was the Luftwaffe's standard 7.92mm MG.
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by mp44dude »

Gentlemen,

How do I add a photo?

They are from a collection out of Germany and I also bought a spare "parts" drum from Norway.

greg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

First get the picture on your computer.Make sure it is not real big,there is a picture resizer to download here on the site.To post-hit 'reply' and get the post screen-scroll down to where it says 'browse' that will open access to your computer. Go to where the picture is and click on it.Then hit'add the file' and it will upload.I think you can do three pics to a post entry.then hit 'submit'-the bottom one,and the pictures should upload to the site.Hope to see them soon-it took me several tries to get it right. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

A list with years, serials and makers logos would also be great (or pictures of same)! Trying to map as much info about these drums as possible!
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
Tim g

Post by Tim g »

:shock: You need to sit down MP44 and have a cuppa and a biscuit. We always used to get that after giving blood. You must have lost some in a deal for three of em !!

:lol:
mp44dude
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by mp44dude »

Bergflak,

Picked up a 4th DT34 out of Germany. Do you know anyone that has any experience in working with/fixing these?

greg
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

The one that really knows these is Ryan Schnee. But there really is no "magic" to them. Might be wise to remove the two small covers on the front (two small screws each) and let out the tension of the springs. How to will become very obvious once you remove the lids and see it. The spring has a final that goes across the coil and sets in teeths along the inside. Unless you have the original tool, grip it with a plier and tighten the spring slightly, pull it out of the teeths and slowly unwind it. After that just remove the main lid and clean out the mud and deposits (99% of these are found in a lake). reassemble the main lid, set the springs tension and replace the two small lids. Really nothing to it. If anything is broken it is pritty straight forward welding/mechanics. Unless the spring is a gonner. Do not know how to replace it!
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
Schnee

Post by Schnee »

Bergflak just about covered it! The springs are not complicated and can be manufactured. It is important to take off all spring tension before taking them apart, that is taking off the back cover. I have an original tool if you want to borrow or copy it to do some maintnence on your drums. If you ever decide to start shooting with them you will need it to get the tension right for your gun. I have noticed that when I have the drum adjusted and the gun running smoothly if I change the MG34 recoil spring it usually does not work as well. There is a reason (lots of them) why these drums were taken out of the hands of the infantry early on.

Ryan Schnee
Schnee

Post by Schnee »

Short video of the MG34 Doppeltrommel in action. After cleaning and adjusting I had to go try it out! Once the spring tension is adjusted to the gun it works really well.

http://zwillingssockel.com/Videos/DT34.AVI
Attachments
MG34_Drum_02.jpg