MG 34 Reborn

Post your pics and vids here.
shinsoku

MG 34 Reborn

Post by shinsoku »

Hey Guys, Got my 34 up and running, took it out yesterday and ran 200 rounds through it. I had around eight very very light primer strikes and around 15 no primer strikes. Not sure where the problem lays but I think it is one and the same causing both. Outside of that it ran sweeeet. I ran the gun very wet and was using Romi ammo. I used a 11m nozzle at first and then switched to a 9.5mm. The smaller threw the empties further forward and seemed to make the gun run much better. But really I was just getting it broke in and should go back to the 11mm and see what it does. Wanted to run more ammo but the plan was to get it back and tear it down and look for excess wear spots. Anyway, here are some photos of it. I need to do a few cosmetic welds before finishing. And then more BLASTIN'...........
Attachments
MG 34 003.JPG
MG 34 001.JPG
mg34 II 009.JPG
mg34 II 008.JPG
mg34 II 007.JPG
mg34 II 004.JPG
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: MG 34 Reborn

Post by Bil »

Very nice-thanks for the pics and report! :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

VERY COOL :D

Anothr piece of history brought back to life.

Nice work on the receiver, was that your first '34 re-weld?
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Awesome, I love these guns and yours looks great!
shinsoku

Post by shinsoku »

This was my first 34 reweld. I used a mig welder using .025 wire 70,000psi. Three welds total. Reciever lug, one about three inches back which was saw cut and the third just behind the tripod mounting pin. It was torch cut. I welded that section up (not using overlapping pieces) to mate with the middle section. In fact I just got back from putting another 200 rounds through it. This time I only had five rounds out of fifty that were light primer strikes/no-strikes. I believe the bolt is short stroking but can't figure why. Empties are bent some on the mouth on almost all rounds fired. Need to tear the gun down and look for any wear spots again and address them and then I guess make sure my belts are tensioned right?? Gun still runs best with the 9.5mm nozzle. My biggest issue right now is the sear ring is breaking on me before I can go through 200 rounds. Yesterday I noticed it was cracked and replaced it with a new one this morning before shooting. But just after a couple dry cycles I noticed the new sear ring had cracked as well. Shot it anyway until the ring finally came apart. My bolt mods are right on the money measurement wise. Both rings have cracked just to one side of the lug. Will call TNW in the morning to see what the problem may be. Anyone having this kinda problem please chime in. I could use the help. Thanks...................Del
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

I'm suprised a MIG welder did such a nice job. I should bring mine out of retirement!
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

I just got a kit & hope to be starting on mine shortly this inspires me to get cracking on it :mrgreen:

Did you do your own Bolt & FCG mods ?
shinsoku

Post by shinsoku »

Yes, I did all the mods myself. Really not that hard to do. But I give all the credit to the helpful people on this forum for taking the time to post their experiences and photos. Which made my part a whole lot easier...Del
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Did you use a Jig to do the re-weld?
gregolver

Post by gregolver »

did you fix the sear ring if so how thats what mine is doing