SA marked can, and starter tabs

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
USNmars

SA marked can, and starter tabs

Post by USNmars »

I just picked up an original 1937 MARS German can. It was nasty and supposedly full of ammo, but for $50 I figured what the heck. I got it home and wiped the 1/4" of dust off and found a nicely stenciled SA on the top of the can. I opened it up and found it full of wartime belts, and SA stamped starter tabs.... WOO HOO!! The ammo was Portuguese and looks like nice stuff. I think I did really good, but havent been able to find any info on SA marked MG stuff. Has anybody else seen this before?
Matt
Major
Major

Re: SA marked can, and starter tabs

Post by Matt »

SA is the Finnish Army property mark.
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Not sure on the can markings...BUT...TOSS THE AMMO !!!!!!! :puk: :puk: :puk: . Anything from "down south" will cause you nothing but headaches In my experence . :bang: :badidea:

Bill :read:
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Portuguese 8MM is some of the finest 8mm on the market.
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Thanks for the info Matt...Learn something new every day.. :eureka:

Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Sd.kfz.173 »

Need to study geography again also... :oops: :oops:

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I was going to say...... Although Portugal IS south of SOMEWHERE.... :lol: ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

Look again at that can! I've got a 1938 or 9 Mars can also- it's not German, they're Polish! What you have is a pre-WWII Polish Model 1915 pattern ammo can, which was purchased by or given to the Finns during or just prior to the Winter War. Mine is the exact same; Polish made, but SA marked. It is entirely possible given the timeframes, that these cans were war booty captured by the Germans when they overran Poland, and then sold to the hard pressed Finns before or during the Winter War or the Continuation War. Either way, they were definately used by the Finns against the Russians!

The belts and starter tabs being marked with SA markings is actually very interesting! Can you post pictures? Their standard round was 7.62 x 54 Russian, not 7.92 Mauser, and while Finnish Maxim belts of 7.62 ammo fit fine in these cans, (I've done it) I haven't ever heard of many MG34's or 42's used by them, but that's not impossible. 7.62 of course won't fit in standard MG34 belts, which you're describing- so I'm interested in seeing what you've got!
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

Ohio Ordnance had a MG34 about 5 years ago, a DOT44 that was SA marked. A lot of German equipment went there after the war as well.
USNmars

Post by USNmars »

Here are the promised pics of the new find. I think i forgot to mention the can has a very old looking leather strap on it. The strap has some funky writing on it that I have no clue what it is. I tried to get a good pic of some of the starter tabs, but was only able to get 1 good one. All of the belts are not SA marked, just normal German markings, but, all of the starter tabs have it. I think I did really well for what I paid for it.
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

You did great for what you gave for it!

That's a good looking can! It's definately pre-war Polish, of the 1915 German pattern, these were originally intended for 08/15 and 08 belts (250 rounds) but were also used (in German service, and perhaps with Finnish as well!) with MG34 and 42 belts. (300 rounds) A really cool find!!!!

The strap is interesting, I have seen one rigged up like this before, with the leather strap, etc. No clue what that writing is. Did think at the time that the strap made some sense if you were carrying the %$)%#$ thing loaded through 500 miles of Russia on your feet, though!