MG Lafette 34 - 42 differences

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
stegger
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG Lafette 34 - 42 differences

Post by stegger »

Maybe someone could explain what the specific differences between Lafette 34 and Lafette 42 ? Front ,,legs'' ? Range plate ? Fire control mechanism ? About differences of attachment I know :D
All Lafette 34 had adjustable front legs ? Or they had not at all ?
Sorry for maybe stupid question :oops: :mrgreen:
... krieg kann man nicht spielen ...
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MG Lafette 34 - 42 differences

Post by 42rocker »

Stupid Question...... I don 't think so........ I have the same one....

My thoughts.... A lot of mg42 Lafette tripods were made from mg34 Lafette tripods by changing out the trigger firing group and the front mount holder... See Myrvang's notes about how to tell tripods that were redone from those 42's back to 34's.. Main part to look for was the thickness of the support bracket for the sled shock unit in the front. And of course a lot of mg42 lafette tripods started that way and hopefully stayed that way (some are being redone incorrectly into 34's). Also the range plate, but they did still did not get all of the mg34 tripods range plates redone with the mg42 range plates during the war, according to Myrvang's book. So..

I hope that a lot of other folks that know more than I do about this add to this as I interested in finding out more about this also. I do have Myrvang's book, and it shows a lot of the different types.

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

And then we have the lafette for mountain troops,with foldable legs! Another thing to find out more of! :shock: :lol: ---bil BTW-no stupid questions,stupid answers furnished free! :D
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
stegger
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by stegger »

Can't find and don't want to create a new topic . If I'm not wrong - someone once asked about battlefield pictures of MG (34 or 42) on Lafette with AA mount . Or said , that never had seen such a foto ... How about this ?
Attachments
wss-mg34-flak[1].jpg
wss-mg34-flak[1].jpg (24.21 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
129_da11.jpg
... krieg kann man nicht spielen ...
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Nice photo finds..