Replacement booster cones

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
bbrown
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Replacement booster cones

Post by bbrown »

I've found a source who's apparently willing to add to his product line some MG42/M53 replacement booster cones with different diameter holes: http://hellboxarmory.com

I've seen hole diameters mentioned here from 9.5mm up to 14mm or so. What hole diameters would folks here like to have available? The luck-of-the-draw selection I got from mg34.com are between 11.5 - 13.5mm, or so.

Another question is, do they need to be hardened?

Thanks,

Bryan
TactAdv
Major
Major

Re: Replacement booster cones

Post by TactAdv »

They do not need to be hardened, neither through-hardened or carburized. We make them out of both 4100-series alloy and 316L stainless. Hardening the booster cones will cause them to suffer cracking in short order.

I was planning on doing a run of both MG-34 and MG-15 booster cones later this quarter. I can probably do some MG-42 units too at the same time. Price is undetermined, but the more that get made the lower the unit cost.

I like doing them in 316L, it makes it far easier to clean. I can do both alloy or stainless, doesn't matter to me. 3-VL-14 Titanium is also a possibility, if any serious interest. We can also offer the alloy hard-chromed, or Ti-N coated. It's all a matter of demand vs. cost.

This is not a solicitation at this point, but a show of hands for potential interest would give me a place to start in looking a potential costs for runs of each. Would probably need 20 of each made, to be worth it. These would be done in a ISO-9001 aerospace facility, on Mikuma 5-axis production CNC centers. They will be done RIGHT (I have no connection to Hellbox Armory).
-TomH
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
Gulfstream4
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by Gulfstream4 »

Put me on the list of potential buyers.
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

I am interested in a set of 42/53 booster cones.

Curious what price they would want for them
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

Mark me down as 'Interested'...depending on cost, naturally.
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

Any details on this becoming a possibility?
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

noonxnoon wrote:Any details on this becoming a possibility?
Sure....read my above msg!! ;-)

Seriously, Yes, I will do it probably, and in a few weeks. I have to get through SHOT Show, then a trip to the Pentagon, and likely to Belgrade to service our military customers all in the next few weeks. Pretty busy till mid-February.

Also, I'd "like" to get a commitment for.....15?? 20?? of each?? Kind of felxible on that, my only rule on this is that I will NOT subsidize the run of parts here....been there done that too many times....it costs what it costs to buy the materials and run the machine time. More parts distributes out that costing over more parts.......

-TomH
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

Any early rough order of magnatiude cost you see on a set of 4 cones?
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

noonxnoon wrote:Any early rough order of magnatiude cost you see on a set of 4 cones?

SWAG?....$15.00-18.00 each, w/Q20 ordered total.....+/-.....alloy steel, parked. CrO2 would add a few bux.

-TomH
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

TactAdv wrote:
noonxnoon wrote:Any early rough order of magnatiude cost you see on a set of 4 cones?

SWAG?....$15.00-18.00 each, w/Q20 ordered total.....+/-.....alloy steel, parked. CrO2 would add a few bux.

-TomH
TomH, does that mean that if you get orders for at least 20 sets (4 boosters to a set), that you will sell each booster cone for $15-$18 dollars? So, the price for a set of 4 would be approximately $60~$72?

If that is the case, then I am definately "IN". Hell, at those prices I'm in for two sets.
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

By the way, what does 'SWAG' mean? I get 'WAG' - Wild Assed Guess. What's the 'S' for?
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

SWAG = Semi-wild assed guess. ;-)

I will probably need of each type for those prices, so 15-20 of each gun type. Not really thinking of sets per se, just 15-20 of MG34, MG42, etc. Less than that means each one is more.......
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Always thought -- SWAG -- Scientific Wild A$$ Guess --

Later 42rocker
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

LOL - Ok, I get the 'SWAG' thing now.

I still don't get your pricing though. I had a molar yanked out today & I just popped two more pain killers, so maybe it's me, but this phrase doesn't make sense: "I will probably need of each type for those prices..." Are there some words missing from that phrase?

I'll try asking again:

What's your best SWAG for one MG42 booster cone?

Do you plan to make more than one size? Or are you going to make just one small size and let buyers drill them out to the size they need?

I have a feeling that if you could be more specific about your plans & prices, more folks would be able to let you know how many they'd buy.

I'm plastered - that's it for me tonight.
Last edited by CRUSADER on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

How do I delete a double tap?
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

The prices I am SWAG-ing are for each individual booster cone, if I can get 15-20 of each ordered or interest in.

That is, if enough people express interest in making 15-20 of each variant then each cone will cost $XX. I'll need to make 15-20 MG-42 cones, 15-20 MG-34 cones, 15-20 MG-15 cones, etc., or it isn't going to be a viable project.

So...tell me how many of EACH DESIGN people are interested in.....if it gets close, say at least 15 of a particular variant, I'll do the run for probably 20 pieces to have a few extra. If I get less than say 15 people express interest, it's not going to happen for that cone.

My plans were to make the MG-34 cones in standard 11mm orifice, the MG-15 in std size, and then the MG-42 cones in 10mm from which people can do what they want to open up, or use as-is. WILL NOT do "custom" holes as that is not feasible, this is a labor of love type of thing anyway.....I'll do the set-ups ONCE, load the stock, and push the button ONCE for however many units people want, but don't want to go back and do manual follow up reaming for different nozzle orifice sizes, nor stop the machine mid-stream.

You want a different '42 nozzle orifice size.....find a drill press and a reamer....it's not a critical hole. ;-)

So let me know.....we'll let this run for a couple weeks so everybody has a chance to see it and respond HERE, then I'll count the numbers and follow up HERE. So far, I have 6 MG-15 ordered.

-TomH
Gulfstream4
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Gulfstream4 »

Count me in for 4 MG42 cones.
Gulfstream
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

OK, sounds good!

If the price winds up in the $15-18 range I will indeed take 8 MG42 boosters...each with a 10mm hole ;)
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

I'll take 3 10mm MG42 booster cones
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Well that's 15... Good for a start. I'm noting this in hopes of getting others to join in and want a few more. Some of these messages go down so quick and the good ones need a bump to the top some times.
Good Luck in getting a few more. That way we know that there will be folks willing to make spares now and hopefully a few runs again in the future.

Later 42rocker