Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
Patty218
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Paint removal

Post by Patty218 »

Hello,

Probably posted numerous times before, but I can't seem to put my finger on any threads. I would just like to find out what substance would be best to use to remove a thin layer or postwar spray paint, but to keep the original field grey/red oxide paint beneath this intact? Also any particular way to apply/use this substance to get the best results would be much appreciated! :D

Thanks
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Paint removal

Post by 42rocker »

I might guess that this is a lafette that we are talking about. But lets make sure.

What is it you are talking about??

Later 42rocker
Patty218
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by Patty218 »

Hello, sorry I forgot to mention!

It is a battery box for the MGZ optic
Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Patty,
Give us some photos (closeups) so we can ascertain paint thickness/quality etc.

Tom.
Shelly
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by Shelly »

I will add this here... I need to remove this paint... it is fairly thick but on some parts is badly chipped. Other parts it is more thinly applied but in better shape (bolt box for example).

I am limited in that I do not have access to blasters etc. I have mostly good old fashioned solvent strippers, thinners, bristle brushes, sand paper etc. I do have some experience refinishing things, though.

Tommygunn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Tommygunn »

Shelly,
Here's a link to my restoration which I think will help you with a lot of your questions.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=12162

Secondly, since your tripod appears to have little to no WW2 paint then you might as well just go for the full strip as opposed to the tedious toothpick/scalpel approach.

What you need is some good, old fashioned paint stripper that contains Dichloromethane and Phenol. The modern waterbased nonsense just doesn't cut it and will, in comparison, just cause you aggro.

Tom.
Shelly
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by Shelly »

Thanks ! That is helpful. No, I don't plan on trying to salvage any underlaying paint. I am not comfortable with taking the fire control unit apart either, so I will leave that in black, at least for now. Plus the black kinda looks cool. I planned on getting some of that really nasty stripper that looks like snot... Oddly though, Citristrip is great for gun stocks!
howiebearse
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter

Post by howiebearse »

i did part of mine that was needing refinishing by blasting it and priming and painting I also re-parkerized the parts that were parkerized in black park thankfully the base and all parts were as new. The damage was on the tray. Mine is for the Yugo M53 so painted it green. when using the chemical strip its a bugger to clean up and neutralize after. I used to restore military jeeps i once did a body by chemical dip strip they did a neutralize dip after but after painting some still came out if seams and took the paint off.
Oldrelic
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by Oldrelic »

Hi,

I just did a Lafette rebuild right before the Christmas weekend, I took the lafette frame apart as much as possible.

I DID NOT try to take apart the Search Fire device. I just cleaned it with a De-greaser and just painted over it . It is a YUGO Lafette , and the Search Fire Device was Originally Blued , so no paint clean up was needed there. That worked very well and looks Great.

I used Zip-Strip PAINT Remover a Steel wire brush and a Putty Knife to clean off the years of paint build up and decades of scratches.

This Pain remover Will totally eat every layer of paint. let it set for 10-15 Minutes and take a Wire brush to it. I did it a few times, then used the putty knife for the Thick problem areas.

Oldrelic
12-29-2015
Attachments
Zip-Strip Paint Remover a (Large).jpg
100_2517 (Large).JPG
100_2518 (Large).JPG
100_2522 (Large).JPG
100_2577 (Large).JPG
100_2579 (Large).JPG
100_2583 (Large).JPG