Marstar belts and ammo cans

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
MGAPA

Marstar belts and ammo cans

Post by MGAPA »

I received 2 ammo cans with a total of 10 - 50rnd belts and 2 starter tabs last night.

The cans look pretty good. Slight mold/mildew on the leather on the handles. The paint is a darker green like my AA tripod, not that horrible bright green.

The belts are coated in at first I thought was cosmoline but now I don't think it is. It doesn't quite smell the same and it is a paste that when wiped leaves a greasy film. Maybe it is just fresh cosmoline. I only have experience with 50+ year old cosmoline. None of the belts are rusty and everything looks at least in good to excellent condition.

Shipping only took about 7 business days to PA. All that for $86 CAN ($75.43) delivered to the door!
haseo8up
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by haseo8up »

Were those belts war time issue?
MauserMatt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MauserMatt »

What does it take to order things like that from them? If the order is small enough do I just order through the website? Are there any forms to fill out?

Thanks!
~Matt
MGAPA

Post by MGAPA »

I found what I wanted from them on the website and then called in my order. This is my 2nd order for belts (1919 was the 1st). I heard someone mention below $100 or $125 but that is purely conjecture. For belts and cans I have never done a form 6.
MGAPA

Post by MGAPA »

I don't know about wartime. How do I check that out?
acmech

Post by acmech »

MGAPA wrote:I don't know about wartime. How do I check that out?
I've posted pics of varies types of belts based on what I've been able to find out look here
http://panzer46.net/mg42board/viewtopic.php?t=1848

If I am wrong, someone please let me know, I haven't been able to find any other info besides what I have found here in forums.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

there will be a date and a manufacturers code on the smallest tab/link for wartime. It is at the left end of the belt if you hold it the same orientation as if it was loaded and ready to insert into the weapon.
acmech

Post by acmech »

On one of my tabs it is marked cvo and from what I saw in a previous post this was a wartime belt, there is no date on it, is it a WW2 belt or not?

I posted pics and asked for input, but so far.................none.
CRA

Post by CRA »

Yes it is a wartime belt. Three letter codes represent german manufacturing.

How about the rest??
acmech

Post by acmech »

One belt has no mark and from a previous post I determined it must be a post war belt, and the last had a dogleg on the tab and was marked 91T so it must be mg3. The last belt I got from robertrtg so I knew it would be a newer belt.
MGAPA

Post by MGAPA »

haseo8up wrote:Were those belts war time issue?
Good news and bad news:

I have 6 (blackish tint) belts marked

1. ayg
2 41

2. 2 39
BSW (letter S is larger than B /W)

3. CKX

4. Waffen
6 38
BSW (letter S is larger than B /W)

5. B
10 38
W3A342
Waffen

6. 13 (electro penciled on)

The other 4 are a greenish tint and unmarked.
MGAPA

Post by MGAPA »

Looks like it is a 50/50 crap shoot as to what you get. There are different part numbers on their website for post war which is not what I asked for but I highly doubt they give a crap. Hell, it may have been completely random when they went into the ammo cans to begin with.
CRA

Post by CRA »

Last edited by CRA on Tue May 08, 2007 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
sscav

Post by sscav »

Wartime code CVO is Stocko Gmbh. I don't know if it's German or Czech. They usually have just letter codes and no date.
MGAPA

Post by MGAPA »

Gentlemen,

I received my ammo can w/ 4 belts from Sportsmansguide today.

1. CVO

2. dwo
8 42

3. 5 40
Waffen
Square w/ illegible symbol within

4. bhm
9 40
Waffen

I cannot do incredible welding and machine work like some other members on the board so I figured I can do some other leg work....hope this helps. If anybody can ID any of these codes please post.
MCP
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by MCP »

For your "Gee Whiz" file:
ON some starter tabs if you look carefully you will see SA that will indicate it is Finnish Gov't property. Maxim ammo and water chests sometimes have this spray painted on.