Odd question? Has anyone taken apart an MGZ40 Optic?

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Odd question? Has anyone taken apart an MGZ40 Optic?

Post by ChrisPCook »

Just curious if anyone has taken apart an MGZ40 optic? It's a weird question I know, or does anyone know of someone that works on these? Thanks, Chris....
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Odd question? Has anyone taken apart an MGZ40 Optic?

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

I have disassembled and cleaned the lenses and prism on my MGZ40. It's risky, since those little tiny screws are easy to strip out and destroy the slotted heads or the threads. I only attempted it since the screws were not corroded in place. Rust is not nice to tiny machine screws. After wiping the thin grey film off the lenses and prism, the clarity of the scope went from milky grey to absolutely crystal clear.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Ed S
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Ed S »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:I have disassembled and cleaned the lenses and prism on my MGZ40. It's risky, since those little tiny screws are easy to strip out and destroy the slotted heads or the threads. I only attempted it since the screws were not corroded in place. Rust is not nice to tiny machine screws. After wiping the thin grey film off the lenses and prism, the clarity of the scope went from milky grey to absolutely crystal clear.

I started to do it once but gave up because the screws are so damn small. They are really tiny. Since you took your apart, I have a question: I have one in which the scale for the numbers marked "Gelandenwinkel" will spin around. The round side plate has 4 screws, but I can't figure out what keeps the doggone thing from spinning around. Any ideas?
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

was there ever an inverted image version, like the old cameras, the image is upside down ??

TC
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

The scale is supposed to be held in place by four metric micro screws that, when all are tightened to an even depth and tightness, will hold the vernier scale in place. The screws allow adjustment and zeroing of the scale. If yours are missing, you can make new ones. I made some from some tiny metric machine screws bought at Ace Hardware. BUY SPARES. I cut the heads off and sawed the screwdriver slot... very delicate work. The cold blue them. The opposite ends of the set screws are beveled to a very shallow point.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Ed S
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Ed S »

tomcatshaas wrote:was there ever an inverted image version, like the old cameras, the image is upside down ??

TC

Well, I know what you have been looking at, and the answer I think is "no." I have 8 of these scopes, but none are the "rare" inverted image model. However, I could be wrong.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Ed S wrote:
tomcatshaas wrote:was there ever an inverted image version, like the old cameras, the image is upside down ??

TC

Well, I know what you have been looking at, and the answer I think is "no." I have 8 of these scopes, but none are the "rare" inverted image model. However, I could be wrong.
Thanks Ed,

I didn't thinks so either as I have not seen one either. Besides, it just doesn't make sense they would make one like that.
MG34Biker

Post by MG34Biker »

What is the story on these MGZ40's with the inverted image? Missing a refractor lense?