MG42 Lafette project Some pics re-posted

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
tomcatshaas
General
General

MG42 Lafette project Some pics re-posted

Post by tomcatshaas »

From 42rocker, I have re-posted some of the pics to this thread. I downloaded these for my own use and did not download them all, so some are missing. If you have any PLEASE let me know.
Back to tomcatshaas thread.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, another Lafette project. This one is not as nice as my MG34 Lafette with every part was marked and matching.

This one looks like an MG34 lafette converted at some time. The upper is german marked the same as my 34 lafette maker S652 but dated 1940. The lower is german marked but a differant maker. Not all parts are waffen marked, but a lot are. The upper sled has some dunkelgrau under the dark green paint. And their is a hint of some tan peaking through. The lower has hints of 2 different shades of ordnance tan.

I have seen this once before. The lower back pad is modified in a curve.

TC

Trying to repost the following pics as named by TC. I do NOT have them all if you have one of the ones that are missing PLEASE pm me or post it so we can get this GREAT Lafette repaint complete like it was before photobucket changed it's ways. Note at the time I downloaded the pics for my studies and did not keep the same number so I'm giving it my best guess as to who what where, we know the when - then.
42rocker

IMG_1615, 1614, 13, 12, 11, 10, 09, 08, 07, 06, 04, 03, 17
a002.jpg
a001.jpg
a003.jpg
a004.jpg
a005.jpg
a006.jpg
a007.jpg
a008.jpg
a009.jpg
a010.jpg
a012.jpg
There only a couple of pics short, help out anyone.

ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Re: MG42 Lafette project

Post by ChrisPCook »

Is this an Allegheny Tripod or FGS? I have thought about getting one... Weaponeer has a group buy (last time I checked) on MG42 Tripods from AA, was just curious how much is German marked on these... What do the replacement range plates look like? Are they fairly nice or no? thanks, Chris...
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Yes, this is an AA lafette. I bought it directly from them as I didn't want to wait forever through the group buy. Also, you pay more for the German marked ones. I didn't find the replacement range plate. Maybe it's at the bottom of the box. I will have to call them about it.

Some of the hardware is marked, but some are not. However, they are not yugo marked.

TC
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

I found the plate. It was in with the packing slip. Good thing you asked about it. I wouldn't of looked for it.

It's not as nice. It's a silk screen image. The original is stamped or etched.

TC

Repost of a AA that was on one of my lafettes that I bought from them.
42rocker
IMG_0031.jpg
pic is 1617

IMG_1618.JPG
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

at first I thought this was a post war mod. But I'm really not sure. If you look at the 42 lafette's in Folke's book, you will see the same thing. I wonder if this is original or a waffenmeister field mod.

TC

Sorry after reviewing my downloaded pics I can't figure out what he was talking about. I might not have downloaded pic
1614 -- which I'm looking for. 42rocker

tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

progress

Guessing -- posting a couple
Looking for 1655, 1656
42rocker
a011.jpg
a015.jpg
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Just out of curiosity, does anybody have an estimate of the weight difference between the war-time lafette and the modern units several of us have purchased from the gentleman in Germany recently? These newer tripods weigh just over 50 lbs without the battery box on board :shock:

I just can't imagine backpacking one of these things across Russia along with all the regular gear a poor landser would be saddled with. :( Are the war-time lafettes lighter?

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

using my calibrated bathroom scale :roll: My MG34 Lafette weighs 47 pounds.

TC
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

The paint looks great so far. What kind of paint are you using? Source?

What are you doing for carry straps?

Will you show us how you rebuild the pads?
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

-------- Some of the pictures in this thread were restored by 42rocker -- If you have others please post them or pm me about them ----------------------------

The primer is red oxide made by Valspar. You can find it online, or at your local Tractor supply or Fleetfarm.

I will be using oil base Ordnance Tan (Dunkelgelb) I custom matched it from Charles Kliment's book. It's a dead on match, but it's in a satan which is a bit shiny, so I am playing around with flattening the sheen. I need to spray it out for test.Once I am happy, I will post the paint label and formula from Sherwin Williams.

I am going to make my own straps right down to the correct markings. Also, I will post how I recover the pads. However, I don't plan on doing those real soon. The paint stripping and priming has taken me over a month to get to this point.

What do you think on the color???

TC
IMG_1672.jpg
IMG_1649.jpg
-------- The following picture was named "IMG_1647.jpg" If anyone has a copy of it please post it or pm me about it -- 42rocker ---------------
IMG_1367.jpg
fab
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by fab »

Hi,

this is a 1940 dated lafette.... so if i will paint it in RAL 7021 "panzer grey" (Schwartzgrau) because it was the natural color.

now you have to chosse the battel field where you lafette is...

if you want an "Afrika lafette" paint it in Gelbbraun RAL 8000 (on the panzer grey color)

in middle 1943 the official color is Dunkelgelb RAL 7028
or a "camouflage" make with Olivegrün RAL : 6003 , Rot Braun RAL 8017 and Dunkelgelb

so you have to choose .

Fab.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Dang you Fab !
I wasn't going to get that detailed and just spray it dunkelgelb......but no....now you pointed it out and exposed it, I will have to paint it dunkelgrau first and then dunkelgelb. Thanks! That will put me another month behind since I have to bake the paint in between coats.

TC
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Don'y you hate it when someone confuses things whit the facts?? :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MGMike »

Nice looking TC....at some point, I'll have to re-paint my MG3 "pod" to at least be the "right" color, if not the right shape 8)

MikeD
CRUSADER
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by CRUSADER »

TC - Is this the book you are using as a color reference?

http://www.kajacircle.com/klimentbooks/books_whcc.htm

Looks like something good to add to my little library.

FWIW, my lower pad plate is bent precisely like yours is.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

CRUSADER wrote:TC - Is this the book you are using as a color reference?

http://www.kajacircle.com/klimentbooks/books_whcc.htm

Looks like something good to add to my little library.

FWIW, my lower pad plate is bent precisely like yours is.
Yes, that's the book. I picked the color what I am calling dunkelgelb (variant 1) because I like the color, and I also have a barrel carrier that has that same shade peaking out from under the yugo green. My Lafette did have another shade on it that matched the darker variant 2.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Everything painted dunkelgrau.

TC

Reposting pic 1674 best guess ---- 42rocker
a021.jpg
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Almost done. I still need to paint the search fire. That will be next year. And I have the
leather pads to do.

I will fight the war the next few years with it in Dunkelgrau and then
if I am transfered to Africa I will paint it tan.....unless I am sent to the Russian front :shock:

Best guess. ---- 42rocker
Looking for pics 1692, 91, 90, 89, 88, 87, 84, 80, 79, 76,
a015.jpg
a016.jpg
a021.jpg
a022.jpg
a023.jpg
a024.jpg
a025.jpg
a026.jpg
a027.jpg
a028.jpg
a029.jpg
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

TC-VERY NICE! This project really came out excellant-thanks for the pics/tutorial! As for finishing'next year' ,I seem to remember you said that about the lafette project,and started about a week later! :lol: I expect to see pics of the finished search fire unit around the end of September! Nice job! :D ---bil PS-do what you can to keep from being transfered to the Eastern Front-I hear it is almost as cold as Minnesota! :lol:
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

well I was working in the same city yesterday as Tandy leather store, so I thought I would pop in (on overtime mind you :lol: ) and see if they had any remnant leather that would work for my project and this is what I found. :wnana: I think if I play around with a light brown dye, I can get it to look like my Original MG34 pads :wnana:

What do you think? should I go a tad darker on the color. The test piece has the Tandy Leather hide rejuvenator rubbed in like the originals.

Before pictures of the Original pads