Removing postwar paint??

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
MP43SNIPER

Removing postwar paint??

Post by MP43SNIPER »

I can't find anything on the net by searching. Has anyone found a good way to remove that ghastly green paint and not hurt the original bluing on 50 round drums and drum carriers?

Thanks,
Craig
tomcatshaas
General
General

Re: Removing postwar paint??

Post by tomcatshaas »

MP43SNIPER wrote:I can't find anything on the net by searching. Has anyone found a good way to remove that ghastly green paint and not hurt the original bluing on 50 round drums and drum carriers?

Thanks,
Craig
paint stripper maybe?

TC
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Try oven cleaner,like Easy-Off.Use in a hidden spot first.I have used this to remove lettering and pinstriping from trucks without hurting the original paint.Be careful and wash it off before it goes too deep.Use eye protection.Wash your hands good before peeing,also! :oops: ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Easy-E

Post by Easy-E »

Have you tried a heat gun? that might work.
Barrel26

Post by Barrel26 »

Unfortunately...paint stripper removed some of the original paint on my drums. :(
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

I have had fairly good luck with diluted fingernail polish remover, diluted with water. Acetone is too strong, used fingernail polish which is a milder/cut form of acetone, go slow and thin it out with some water to reduce it's effects. For tight spots use a Qtip, it takes time, but I've had OK luck on an MG dropdown scope. Chris...
redrivertactical
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by redrivertactical »

the diluted fingernail polish method has worked good for me in the past as well. i second that
KSH67
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by KSH67 »

I've used acetone with great success removing postwar paint from many helmets with virtually no effect to the wartime paint or original decals. I have turned many a bubba'd metalflake paint jobed helmet back to it's original wartime look. Just go slow and test an area first, some of that postwar paint will wipe right off, some will take a little work. If your nervous cut it with water. Nail polish remover is way too mild, and will just frustrate you.
Kevin
ChrisPCook
Oberst
Oberst

Post by ChrisPCook »

KSH67 wrote:I've used acetone with great success removing postwar paint from many helmets with virtually no effect to the wartime paint or original decals. I have turned many a bubba'd metalflake paint jobed helmet back to it's original wartime look. Just go slow and test an area first, some of that postwar paint will wipe right off, some will take a little work. If your nervous cut it with water. Nail polish remover is way too mild, and will just frustrate you.
Kevin
In my experience you should start mild and work your way up. I put straight acetone on a postwar Norwegian paint job one time, before I could even stop it (luckily it was a small area) I ended up going through the overpaint, the original german paint, and right down to the red primer. It goes quicker with acetone, but work your way up to it to see if your paint can handle it.....just my experience. Chris....