Removing Yugo green from Tripod

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Removing Yugo green from Tripod

Post by bmwr12 »

I just got a Yugo possibly original German Lafayette mount for $500. Any ideas on the best way to get the paint off. Sand blasting didnt seem to work too well on my Yugo reissued orignal barrel carriers. Also any ideas on where to get a repro German Range plate? Thanks
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Re: Removing Yugo green from Tripod

Post by Bil »

Try Allegheny Arsenal for the repro plate.try a little oven cleaner in an inconspicious spot for paint removal,wash off as soon as it works. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

...or have bil look at it REAL HARD and it will just peel right off. (For a fee, of course)
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Lafayette helped the newly formed U.S.A. in the war against the British.

Lafette is the German name for a gun mount. :shock:

Use paint stripper and a high pressure washer when you're done softening the paint. It'll take a few times, but you'll get it off.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by bmwr12 »

I figured the spelling was wrong but that is the way google said was correct... I will give it a go tomorrow.Going to try the barrel carriers too.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

While he was a big help during our revolution,he had forgotten us when years later an officer of the A.E.F. announced'Lafeyette,we are here!',and got no answer! :shock: How soon they forget! Let us know how it goes after you remove the paint from his legs. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by bmwr12 »

if it is a german lafette where would it be marked? It looks like it had a plate riveted on top (not range plate)below where the buttstock is.The plate is no longer there though.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Should be a few waffenampts and the year of production stamped in the sheet metal on top of the rear cross member, right below where they gun sits. Might be covered up with paint, though.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
resting
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by resting »

bmwr12 wrote:if it is a german lafette where would it be marked? It looks like it had a plate riveted on top (not range plate)below where the buttstock is.The plate is no longer there though.
I picked up one at the Creek that has the rivet holes in the same place. The paint where the plate was removed is more like OD green than the Yugo .
David

Post by David »

I did paint stripper and the high pressure washer method on mine. Sand blaster in the tiny areas.

As for markings they would be located on teh top of the cradle like said. I had the 4 rivet holes in mine also and looks like my mfg stampings were ground away. But all the other waffenampt parts are there.