Sportsman Guide at it again

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
User avatar
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2945
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:41 pm
Location: Lisbon, Ohio
Contact:

Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby JBaum » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:54 am

Somehow, the lafette extension tube has now become a motorcycle mount. I'd like to see how THAT works.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/U ... 1-SHOPPING
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com

User avatar
salt6
General
General
Posts: 1261
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:11 pm
Anti-spam: Mg42
Location: NE Okla
Contact:

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby salt6 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:16 am

:thanks: :pound:
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.


John Newton (1725-1807)
____________________________________________
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell
____________________________________________
"I once was one of those men."

salt6

Matt
Major
Major
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:39 pm
Location: USA

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby Matt » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:17 am

sportsman misguide is what they should be called.

User avatar
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Posts: 2402
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:24 am
Anti-spam: Mg42
Location: Minnesota

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Matt wrote:sportsman misguide is what they should be called.

:lol:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Brookline,VT

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby Bil » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:38 pm

It says 'cycle monopod', this is actually not the common lafette add-on,but a rare item,as they say. It was issued early in the war to the troops of the unicycle division.Not to be confused with the motorcycle recon units,these specially trained soldiers were recruited mainly from traveling circuses.They were able to get into places the motorcycles could not fit.They were used mainly during the attack on France,where the roads were fairly good. Cross-country travel was limited.
The main problem was that when they fired the gun,the unicycle just rotated on its wheel and the soldier fell off.Many head injuries resulted.Originally equiped with the MG34,these monopods were later adapted to fit the mg42 as it came into use,and were given to the Bulgarian Army.It was hoped they hadn't heard of the problems the Germans had found,and of course,they hadn't. Most of these ended up being captured during the fall of Stalingrad,when the Bulgarian army had stopped riding the unicycles,and just carried them,thus slowing them down considerably.It hadn't occured to them to just take the gun off the mount. The ones at Sportsmans Guide are probably from the large amount of unicycle related items found recently in a military warehouse and imported to the US.They were not affected by the recent ban,as they were not considered as dangerous war material. They could be modified to fit a sidecar,but you would have to stand up to fire,or a hole could be drilled in the sidecar floor,and a small caster type wheel added to the bottom of the mount.
See how much you learn here!? I keep telling you to buy John Baums manuals,the one for this is only 8 bucks,and has lots of nice pictures,including some from the circus! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert

User avatar
Sd.kfz.173
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Posts: 185
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:08 pm
Location: Roundup Montana
Contact:

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby Sd.kfz.173 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Bil wrote:It says 'cycle monopod', this is actually not the common lafette add-on,but a rare item,as they say. It was issued early in the war to the troops of the unicycle division.Not to be confused with the motorcycle recon units,these specially trained soldiers were recruited mainly from traveling circuses.They were able to get into places the motorcycles could not fit.They were used mainly during the attack on France,where the roads were fairly good. Cross-country travel was limited.
The main problem was that when they fired the gun,the unicycle just rotated on its wheel and the soldier fell off.Many head injuries resulted.Originally equiped with the MG34,these monopods were later adapted to fit the mg42 as it came into use,and were given to the Bulgarian Army.It was hoped they hadn't heard of the problems the Germans had found,and of course,they hadn't. Most of these ended up being captured during the fall of Stalingrad,when the Bulgarian army had stopped riding the unicycles,and just carried them,thus slowing them down considerably.It hadn't occured to them to just take the gun off the mount. The ones at Sportsmans Guide are probably from the large amount of unicycle related items found recently in a military warehouse and imported to the US.They were not affected by the recent ban,as they were not considered as dangerous war material. They could be modified to fit a sidecar,but you would have to stand up to fire,or a hole could be drilled in the sidecar floor,and a small caster type wheel added to the bottom of the mount.
See how much you learn here!? I keep telling you to buy John Baums manuals,the one for this is only 8 bucks,and has lots of nice pictures,including some from the circus! ---bil




I have one of those unicycles with the VERY rare cheese grater spoke atachment.....I must have one of those monopods!!!! :burn:



Bill :read:

User avatar
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby bmwr12 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:20 pm

I tried one of them on my R12 but it was an EPIC FAIL !!!!!
Image

waterdawg
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:07 pm
Location: South Dakota and Wyoming

Why did it not work on the R12

Postby waterdawg » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:41 pm

All kidding aside, why was it a failure on the R12. I just brought a Dnepr MB650 and I happen to need a mount for my semi MG42. The Dnepr has a tube type mount already in the sidecar but it needs the extension, would this work. Or does anybody know where I can buy one. Thanks for any info.
Happy Trails
James

User avatar
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby bmwr12 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:00 pm

The AA extension is not what they used during the war to mount Mgs on a sidecar. They used these type of mounts , aside from that I have only seen 1 picture of a MG42 mounted on a sidecar, they were usually Mg15s or Mg34s.

Image

User avatar
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Posts: 2402
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:24 am
Anti-spam: Mg42
Location: Minnesota

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:37 pm

bmwr12 wrote:I tried one of them on my R12 but it was an EPIC FAIL !!!!!
Image


You have an R12? That's not a China-clone?

WOW!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 3117
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:03 pm
Anti-spam: Mg42
Location: Florida

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby 42rocker » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Nice Bike...

On the tube

" Remember Friends don't let friends over pay " I believe is the saying about the low low low price of $199.97
Was $399.97
Club Price $179.97

I believe that I got mine from Sarco for about $99.00

Also is that the true WW2 style or the post war style???

Later 42rocker

User avatar
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby bmwr12 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:24 pm

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:
bmwr12 wrote:I tried one of them on my R12 but it was an EPIC FAIL !!!!!
Image


You have an R12? That's not a China-clone?

WOW!


Yes, it is the earliest matching serial number Military R12 know to exist right now. It is not a chinese or russian clone. I am restoring the Royal sidecar for it now. I also have a 1939 R12 basket case I am getting ready to restore.

User avatar
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Posts: 2402
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:24 am
Anti-spam: Mg42
Location: Minnesota

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:41 pm

bmwr12 wrote:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:
bmwr12 wrote:I tried one of them on my R12 but it was an EPIC FAIL !!!!!
Image


You have an R12? That's not a China-clone?

WOW!


Yes, it is the earliest matching serial number Military R12 know to exist right now. It is not a chinese or russian clone. I am restoring the Royal sidecar for it now. I also have a 1939 R12 basket case I am getting ready to restore.


HOW MUCH FOR IT?


Just kidding. I'm still paying off the restoration for this 1944 DKW NZ-350-1.


Image
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury

User avatar
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby bmwr12 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Yep, I would probably have a heart attack if I ever totaled up the R12 restoration costs between all of the missing or wrong parts,bidding wars for rare military parts,outsourced services,originla purchase price,sidecars, and all of my time into it. I did end up with a 95% original bike.I would have to be blown away by an offer to ever sell and then I would have to get a Kettenkrad to replace it.

The DKW is nice but I would ditch the Russian seat covers for the correct Pagusas.

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: Brookline,VT

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby Bil » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:15 pm

You need one of these! ---bil
Attachments
bmw%20l.jpg
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert

User avatar
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby bmwr12 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:27 pm

Bil wrote:You need one of these! ---bil



The Steib Zepplin style sidecars are pretty rare and expensive especially the pre war type. It would be nice to put on of them on my 39 R12. I am going to use the Elephant ear fenders though.

User avatar
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Posts: 2402
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:24 am
Anti-spam: Mg42
Location: Minnesota

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby DARIVS ARCHITECTVS » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:24 am

bmwr12 wrote:Yep, I would probably have a heart attack if I ever totaled up the R12 restoration costs between all of the missing or wrong parts,bidding wars for rare military parts,outsourced services,originla purchase price,sidecars, and all of my time into it. I did end up with a 95% original bike.I would have to be blown away by an offer to ever sell and then I would have to get a Kettenkrad to replace it.

The DKW is nice but I would ditch the Russian seat covers for the correct Pagusas.



DONE! I had a repro Pagusa drivers seat from Leszek in Poland (OldTimerGarage), and a postwar Pagusa replica seat for the passenger seat. You cannot get an original or a repro passenger seat. They originals are not available and Leszek won't make repros because too few people have DKW's with rear seats to justify the cost of making them.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury

User avatar
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby bmwr12 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:30 am

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:
bmwr12 wrote:Yep, I would probably have a heart attack if I ever totaled up the R12 restoration costs between all of the missing or wrong parts,bidding wars for rare military parts,outsourced services,originla purchase price,sidecars, and all of my time into it. I did end up with a 95% original bike.I would have to be blown away by an offer to ever sell and then I would have to get a Kettenkrad to replace it.

The DKW is nice but I would ditch the Russian seat covers for the correct Pagusas.



DONE! I had a repro Pagusa drivers seat from Leszek in Poland (OldTimerGarage), and a postwar Pagusa replica seat for the passenger seat. You cannot get an original or a repro passenger seat. They originals are not available and Leszek won't make repros because too few people have DKW's with rear seats to justify the cost of making them.




That sucks.. your only shot is probably ebay germany. I scored most of my rare R12 items on there.

MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:31 pm
Location: Hot Springs, SD

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby MGMike » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Well, boys...

I bought one, got club price though :) I figure to use it on my Faux Kubel, built from a '73 "Thing". It's a nice piece of kit, I think it's post war, account I don't see any marks on it, but I still need to strip it.

MGMike

User avatar
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral
Posts: 718
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:12 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: Sportsman Guide at it again

Postby dwmmg08 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Nice motorcycles! I'd love one, but between my Airplanes and MG's, I can't afford it. :D Maybe someday, they've been around 60 years now, they'll probably be around for me to get when I get the planes paid off! :photos:


Return to “MG42 Accessories”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests