MG34 AA tripod

Tripods, ammo cans, gunners kit, etc.
jjprzewozniak

MG34 AA tripod

Post by jjprzewozniak »

Hey all,

I'm trying to get my hands on an AA tripod for my mg34. I can't seem to find much info here after a quick search, so I thought I'd suggest a topic for conversation: AA tripods! Are they very rare to find? Are there post-war varieties thaty collectors should be wary of? What makes them unique?

And because I'm looking to buy one, what's the best way to get one?

Best,
JJ
Blanksguy
General
General

Re: MG34 AA tripod

Post by Blanksguy »

JJ,
To make up a late-war MG34 AA-Tripod reproduction by taking an MG3 AA-Tripod......then remove the MG3 weapon-mount........have the top-main mounting-shatf removed...weld up the holes and then remachine it to the same specs. as the AA-mounting-stem on the MG34 Lafette.

Then buy a reproduction MG34 AA Weapon-Mounting-Head from "Blitz-Bikes".
The was a man on our MG42-Board that use to make/sell the reproduction leather-strape for the AA-Tripods.

After all of this.......bead-blast the parts you are going to paint.....and paint to either "flavor" you prefer. Field-Green or Tan.

If that seems like too much work, contact me off-line at my below listed e-mail address. I believe that I can get you into a complete one of these w/weapon-mounting-head and sling. I will need to know your city/state for shipping-costs......and please, no "tire-kickers"/"photo-collectors" as these are not low-priced.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
US Army, Retired
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
jjprzewozniak

Post by jjprzewozniak »

Ah ha! I have discovered something; that pretty much the only tripods out there are post-war re-dos? That explains why my searched for specifically and MG34 tripod came up so short. Now that I'm barking up the MG3 tree, I'm finding more things out... Thank you!

From what I saw of a couple of vendors selling MG3 AA tripods elsewhere, the prices don't look that bad at all...

Sending you a PM....
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Yes,most of them are post-war for the 42/53,or the same tripod with a 34 conversion head.The real WWII ones are much harder to come by,and are NOT the same. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

is there that much difference in them? i see a lot of bundewswehr ones used for reenacting. - matt
jjprzewozniak

Post by jjprzewozniak »

This thread is just begging for a nice photo comparison series

:photos: :photos: :photos: Maybe? :cross:
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

Most original MG34 AA tripods were made of an alloy called elektron, rather than steel, and the construction of the head of the tripod (where the legs meet, not the bit where the gun sits) is different too. It is actually simpler-looking than the steel ones.

Apparently the steel ones were brought in late war to conserve rarer alloys, but I haven't seen any pics of MG34 AA ones in steel, just MG42 types. Not saying they weren't made, just that pics always show 42 types. If anybody has pics of steel MG34 dreibeins in use I'd be as interested as the next person!
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Steel or elektron?? ---bil
Attachments
mg34_waffen_ss_164.jpg
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Another.
Attachments
34 on dreibein.jpg
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

The top one is definitely elektron alloy - apart from being able to see the point where the legs join, another giveaway is the excessively worn off paint. Paint did not seem to adhere as well to the alloy as to steel and they typically have most of it missing, or at least they are very chipped and scratched, with the exposed metal being clearly silver/pale toned. When steel gets scratched it is only bright for a short while, if at all, then it oxidises and darkens with handling etc.

Harder to tell but the 2nd pic looks like alloy type tripod as well.

Whenever the alloy type have come up for sale (which isn't very often!) they go for about £500-600 as they are quite rare, presumably because the metal was worth melting down after the war?
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
Damien Horn
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Damien Horn »

Hi,
Not the best picture in the world but it a 34 AA tripod none the less.
D
Attachments
Museum 033.jpg
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

If you're going to actually SHOOT the gun, especially a full-auto original......hands down the absolute BEST and most stable platform is an MG-13 AA tri-pod. Though I have both original WWI-era MG-34 Dreibeins and have made adapters for the cheap MG3 versions......I will never use them again as the MG-13 tri-pod is just freaking superior. For starters, the MG-13 unit has a nice rubber bumper that allows the gun to rest solidly in the horizontal position, not slam down vertically. Two, the natural balance of the MG-34 on the MG-13 tri-pod is just about near perfect, it moves almost as if there is an equilibrator mechanism as the weight of the gun is so evenly distributed the amount of movement required is finger-tip balanced.....like a heavy vault door perfectly balanced. (The MG-13 is NOT so balanced, just a happy coincidence of mixing the wrong gun to the wrong tri-pod). Lastly, the MG-13 tri-pod has different ground print and pressure distribution resulting in, to my senses at least, is a more friendly shooting platform in fullauto. It's also heavier, slower to extend, and cost a lot more no doubt, but since we don't care about that..... ;-)

If you can find one, IMHO it is truly the way to go.
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
Franz20
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by Franz20 »

I hate to revive an old thread, but was this done back then? Did the Germans ever substitute an MG-13 Tripod for the MG34 during the war?

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

Frank
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Frank
Don't hate to bring back an old thread if you find something interesting like this. Thanks.

Later 42rocker
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

Franz20 wrote:I hate to revive an old thread, but was this done back then? Did the Germans ever substitute an MG-13 Tripod for the MG34 during the war?

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

Frank
Add a few basic facts, and the result is given. The MG-13 AA mount was made in Portugal. It was never made by the Germans. It is a 100% Portuguese product. The only connection this mount ever had with a German soldier are the fancy drawings on the IMA homepage.
The basic German AA-mounts: Dreibein 34 made of Elektron, Dreibein 34 made of stamped steel (late issue) and Dreibein 40, only made of steel and much smaller.
They were not made for the MG34 or the MG42. The top fork, which is specific for the weapon type, will work on all mounts.
The MG3 mounts resembles the late war steel Dreibein 34, which were rare. The one made of Elektrone has no modern counterpart.
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
TactAdv
Major
Major

Post by TactAdv »

bergflak wrote:The only connection this mount ever had with a German soldier are the fancy drawings on the IMA homepage.
You are of course quite correct, I just never mentioned it in my original post because I figured that was pretty well known by all. Oh well......

Still, I hold to my statement though, hands down, BEST stand-up type mount for the '34!!

And, Hey, if it weren't for Christian's fancy catalog history lessons straightening us all out as to what REALLY HAPPENED........everybody today would still think the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!

-TomH
Vieles ist bekannt, dass ist nicht offenbart.
usmc8488
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by usmc8488 »

jjprzewozniak wrote:Hey all,

I'm trying to get my hands on an AA tripod for my mg34. I can't seem to find much info here after a quick search, so I thought I'd suggest a topic for conversation: AA tripods! Are they very rare to find? Are there post-war varieties thaty collectors should be wary of? What makes them unique?

And because I'm looking to buy one, what's the best way to get one?

Best,
JJ
Here E-bay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-1st- ... 1c4e6e48b1